Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to protect canvas tents from moisture in storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect canvas tents from moisture in storage?

Hi all,

I just got a Kodiak Canvas tent and of course I plan to store it dry, but I'm thinking about throwing some silica gel packs, or something in with it, to help keep it dry in storage.

How do you all store your canvas tents to protect them from moisture?

Thanks!

Re: How to protect canvas tents from moisture in storage?

As a Kodiak Canvas owner, I just make sure mine is dry when I put it up. My garage roof doesn't leak and I make sure the tent is stored up off the floor. I just leave it rolled up in its bag for the winter. If it were wet, I would just set it up at the house for a few days to dry it out.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I've seen recommendations to store tents (poly or canvas) as you would a sleeping bag, i.e.; not tightly rolled up. It makes a lot of sense since it won't trap any moisture that promotes mold. It's not as bad with poly tents as canvas as there's less food for the bacteria to eat, but you can still get mold on it anyway...
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have some canvas tents that are a half century old and still in great condition. They were owned by folks who were meticulous about taking care of their stuff.

If my tents get wet or moist, I set them up in my yard to dry. Sometimes it keeps raining so the tent stays up for several days or a week waiting for sunshine

Every year in early summer, I do tent maintanance. I set up all my tents to air out check over, dry out, fresh up. I have a LOT of tents so my front yard looks like a Boyscout jamboree for about a week. Bly poor neighbors

Comment

I have some canvas tents that are a half century old and still in great condition. They were owned by folks who were meticulous about taking care of their stuff.

If my tents get wet or moist, I set them up in my yard to dry. Sometimes it keeps raining so the tent stays up for several days or a week waiting for sunshine

Every year in early summer, I do tent maintanance. I set up all my tents to air out check over, dry out, fresh up. I have a LOT of tents so my front yard looks like a Boyscout jamboree for about a week. Bly poor neighbors

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody. There are some good suggestions here.

Well, I set the tent up and sprayed it with water as Kodiak suggests. I'm trying to make sure it's dry before taking it down, but I can't tell if it's completely dry. Is there a way to tell? It seems like it might be dry, but it's kind of cold to the touch. The temperature did drop off today. It's been out there for 24 hours so far. Is 48 hours enough for it to be completely dry? I live in the Los Gatos hills about halfway between San Jose and Santa Cruz if that helps.

If I need to, I think I have enough room in my landlord's pool house to lay it out. May need to move it around and do one section at a time.

Also, I checked and the vinyl floor was wet in some parts on the underside, probably due to some water that got under there when I was spraying with the hose. I guess I could wipe it down with a towel or some paper towels, and lay that side facing up in the pool house.

I got a couple of these silica gel dehumidifiers: http://www.amazon.com/Gurin-Renewabl...dp/B00ANX1PAI/ They're rated highly, so hopefully they'll help. I think I'll try to store the tent in a closet, and if that works I'll put one in there.

Comment

You might be thinking too hard. Of course, if any part of the tent is wet - including the vinyl floor, then you have to get it dry before you wrap it up. If you have it set up in the sunshine for a day, that should do it

The best thing you can do to prevent mold and mildew is to use the tent often.

A cheaper way to make DIY moisture absorbers is to fill a double-layer of socks with talcum powder. Try to use the least fragrance type of talc or you will get sick of the smell. ie don't use baby powder. You can get talcum powder cheap at the Dollar Tree. You can get socks there cheap too.
              Last edited by Mike; 05-10-2013, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X