Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to buy firewood for tent camping

Hi Guys/Gals,

Where can i get wood for camp fire cheaply? If i buy at the gas station, it is really expensive. I am hosting big camping event and i need tips to save money. Please help.

Re: Best place to buy firewood for tent camping

I cut and process my firewood:

Using standing dead trees as much as possible, there is always culled wood that isn't suitable for the wood stove. This culled wood is perfect for the fire pit and camping...

Check with local firewood providers for wood that wasn't good enough for home heating, but is good for camp fires. Do you know anyone that heats with wood? They either cut and split wood themselves, or know a supplier.

Spring storms and trimming provides waste wood, check with local arborist and lawn care services. The more effort you invest, the less the wood costs... how much is your time worth?
    Phil
    Group: Canvas
    Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
    Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

You have landscapers all around you - making friends with these folks is a way to get wood dropped off. The sizes won't be ideal, and this is where a chain saw is needed. Sometimes you can find out where they all drop off wood, we have a couple of areas where they do this and I put a tarp in the back of the Prius and load up. We burn eucalyptus, a hardwood like oak, as it's most plentiful in the southwest. AFA chain saws, cheap isn't good, the little electrics quickly overheat and toast. Brands like Husky are available through the 'Net, unlike some (unnamed) others who insist you buy locally at top-dollar. But you only have to buy once and if you camp regularly like us or have a fireplace it soon pays for itself - compare it to the cost of buying wood at $5 per bundle.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Also check if you can transport firewood. Here in Ohio/WV, pretty much figure that you have to buy onsite.

Another option is Lowes/Home Depot kiln dried lumber, but even that would need to be checked for approval at the campground.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

As some of the other folks said, in today's world many counties won't let you transport tree wood

However, most will allow the transport and campfire burning of construction lumber

Old pallets are easy to get at local manufacturing plants that receive materials

Comment

I camp in areas where ya can't transport wood from other areas and sometimes it's not even allowed to bring any wood based fuel on the campground. Which leaves you to the tender mercies of the camp store. It's nice to see the NE taking the threat of the Asian Longhorned beetle seriously yet I remain nostalgic for pre invasion days.

In areas where I can bring in my own firewood I like to peruse local newspapers, newsletters,PennySaver type papers, CraigsList and bulletin boards for in the area sellers. You can often get a good rate from them and larger amts. Oh and checking out a local "Patch" is an idea as well.

HTH and have a fabulous partay!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

You can make newspaper logs from newspaper and candle wax

You can get tons of old candles from churches

Newspapers, on the other hand, are becoming increasingly difficult to find

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                You can make newspaper logs from newspaper and candle wax

You can get tons of old candles from churches

Newspapers, on the other hand, are becoming increasingly difficult to find
                Be hard to do but same idea but with cardboard. That is how these fake logs are made you can buy to burn in a fireplace. I picked up a load of them once when I was driving trucks.

Comment

or just say you bought the wood in the county you are in......
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Phil, that splitter is devine, my buddy rented one because his cuts were too thick to simply saw up. HogSnapper, my first employment was selling delivered cords for $40 each! It beat cranberry and blueberry work, and wasn't a victim of the seasons. Mike,...what's a "newspaper"? :cool:
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                    X