Seeking advice on selecting tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice on selecting tent

Hello, I am new to this forum and camping in general. I have camped in the past but few and far between. I have been reading this forum almost non-stop and believe I'm probably suffering from information overload at this point. So I wanted to stop and ask a few questions or get some advice.

We would be using a tent as overflow at our family lake property but would also like to do some travelling to state parks and sight-seeing and using a tent instead of a hotel. Space and some comforts of home are priority for me which would entail comfortable warm bedding, toileting, and a water supply for cleaning/washing hands.

Without getting into the gear aspect to cover those comforts at this point, I will talk about the three tents I'm interested in and my pros and cons. We are a family of four and a dog. We have concerns about space in a tent with four twin air mattresses. Actually can't stand the air mattresses, and am planning on getting those new disc-o-bed bunks for the boys as a space saver that can separate as well.

Coleman Signature Instant Tent 10p 10X14- $280. Could possibly get a coupon for 25% off at some point. Obviously, this is easy to put up and good for the majority of our camping which would be overflow backyard. Cons would be if something would break, the whole thing is toast. Also questionable weather resistance, could use an extra tarp as a rainfly in case of inclement weather but wouldn't feel that easy if thunderstorms predicted. It's got decent reviews overall, but just don't know how long it will last. But low maintenance otherwise.

Kodiak Canvas Cabin 9x12 with awning and wall enclosure- obviously more expensive. Concerned on space with mattresses, hence, the bunk cots. Wondering if anyone has ever used the awning room with wall enclosure as a sleeping space in fair weather. This tent seems like a cottage to me, I like the idea of putting a table and chairs in the screen room. Takes longer to put up, more maintenance in care of canvas. But a fortress in weather and a tent to last a lifetime. The idea would be also to be able to eat in the screen room if mosquitoes are bad but then critters might tear up my tent at night if smells permeate. Does anyone ever eat in their screen room or under the awning? I like the screen room also to take off boots in the rain before going into the tent. With that purpose, we loved the screened area of my husband's sister's Embark tent we borrowed for a rainy scout camp weekend (tent itself had leaks though). Figured we could get some outdoor carpet to put down and use it as an extra living space. Too much work for weekend camping?

Kodiak Canvas flexbow 10x14. More space but all angled walls so is it a wash in space comparison with cabin model? Reportedly easier and faster to put up than the cabin so might be better for backyard weekend camping. Has an awning but maybe not enough for removing rubber boots in rain and keeping boots dry. Considering this if it is an absolute no-no with regrets in eating in screen room in the cabin model and would use a separate screen canopy over picnic table on the campsite. Would last a lifetime and confidence in bad weather. Perhaps a happy medium between the ease of an instant tent and the complications of erecting the cabin tent. I love the cabin/enclosure set-up the most but don't know if it's too much trouble to put up for short stays.

Also reading mixed reports on canvas tents as far as coolness in summer. First I saw that canvas breathes better thus cooler, but then I read in other places how it was like an oven compared to nylon tents. Also in hot rainy weather, can you even open the flexbow windows without being rained in? I would imagine if it was high winds, you'd have to take down the awnings on either tent and stay inside with windows up.

Also on my local craigslist, I was wondering if this was a good deal for $75:

"12 x 12 Screen Room with straight walls. This tent is great. It is quality Canvas construction!
    It is super big and tall.
    All original Box instructions poles & stakes included!

One door with two zippers, so it rolls and ties up out of the way. One door on the rear with one zipper that folds over.
    This tent would be well over $300 if you could find one.
    No Mold or Mildew never put away wet."

I talked to the seller, he said the canvas canopy stands with 7 ft sides and 9 ft in middle with aluminum poles and stakes down. Wanted to find out if you think this is a good idea since it's not free-standing with optional staking. Would use as dining space either backyard or campsite. No picture of it erect, said he got it at Sears some years ago.

Thanks for any help or advice! I found out about the Kodiak tents by reading this web site and don't want to regret not getting one before the quality goes downhill and the price goes up either!

Re: Seeking advice on selecting tent

My wife was watching one of those stupid reality shows about couple making or whatever (all I know is it had Jenny McCarthy as host), and they were using Kodiak Canvas tents as one of the rooms. If you want to put your family and friends up in style, go with the Kodiak's. Which Kodiak should be the question. I have the 10x14 bow flex. Yes the sides are sloped, but it is a very, very steep slop, so it does not diminish the amount of floor space. If you were going to stay with the four flat air mattresses, I would go with the bow flex, if you go with the bunk beds, the cabin would also be a good choice. Because of the fact that you can order the patio enclosure for the cabin, I would like that a little better. Either way, if you can afford the Kodiak's, go with on of those.

Also check out www.kirkhams.com tents for more choices.
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Before you spend a lot of money on a tent, you might want to try tent camping to see if you and you family like it.

You know how it goes: buy expensive gear and never use it.... making a future yard sale super-find for somebody else.

Borrow a tent or a couple of tents and go tent camping. Find out what you like and don't like about the tents you are using.

A lot of folks are very excited about rediscovering canvas tents these days. If you are a dedicated camper who will camp often in cool or colder weather, then an investment in canvas might be good, but remember canvas is heavy nd it requires more maintanance than nylon. After a wet trip, you can hang a nylon tent on the clothes line and it will be dry in a couple hours. Wet canvas has to be set up and can take two days or longer to dry completely.

Just a crazy, crazy thought, but if your use is primarily for guests, have you checked Craigslist for used pop-up campers? We have them here for $1000 or less in good shape.

SO, with that in mind, consider all points.

Good luck

Comment

Kingsquad, thanks for letting me know about the flexbow so I have a better idea about the walls. How useful is the awning area? If it's raining, can you park your boots outside and they stay dry?

Mike, you are absolutely right and my husband kind of groaned when I told him about the craigslist screen room posted. He basically said the same thing. I actually like tent camping, though, and prefer it over any kind of RV as I feel closer to the outdoors. I don't care for my sister-in-law's tent, though. With the air mattresses we're packed like sardines. I don't care for the dome style either. We only have a 52' mobile home at the lake with two bedrooms with sometimes three families there some of us at times either sleep in a tent or on the boat. I thought we could also use our tent for other camping experiences. I don't mind camping in wet weather as long as I have my rubber boots and a dry tent. I don't feel that comfortable sleeping during a storm with my sister-in-law's tent and have my doubts with any nylon tent as weather proof. But I don't want some kind of nylon dome expedition tent either, I'd like to be upright looking out windows and feeling a breeze which is why I'm looking at cabin style. I was also looking at the Coleman Hampton at Target but had second thoughts because of the way the doors were situated, opening into each other and that perhaps the windows weren't long enough.

I'm not ready to "gear up" so to speak so much for leisure camping. We could use that screen room at the lake house when the mosquitoes get that bad but perhaps it's a little much right now. But I wondered if it was a good price for something like that. Honestly, we'll be starting out easy on the camp cooking and what I mean by easy is even eating out for a meal at some local diner. At the lake I backed off some when it seemed all I was doing was making meals and doing dishes constantly (and it seemed my mother-in-law and I were the only ones doing it). Once you have a dishwasher you really get spoiled and it becomes tedious to wash every single spoon which leaves no time for pleasurable activities. At camp we would do participatory meals with minimal ware like sticks and pie irons. I'm open to learning at some point because I love the idea of remote camping away from everything and I know that takes a lot of education and knowledge in order to do it successfully. Maybe not in bear country, though, based on what I read here!

I don't really like air mattresses and I know they're popular. They're cold and eventually leak. I know I'll have to get a couple of sleeping pads for those cot bunks for my boys for extra warmth and padding. Not sure if that's for me yet, I'll try it first. But when I was a kid, I had no problem sleeping on the floor. Now- not so much.

As an aside, considering this padding for the cots: http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Convolu...8637548&sr=1-8

The problem I have is I don't want to spend as much for the pad as those cots. Right now Cabela's has them on sale and they're the extra large cots, almost as big as a twin and most pads are a lot less wide. Thinking of just going to JoAnn's or something for some foam cut to size. Wish I could figure this out better.

Even considering this! http://www.sears.com/foldaway-guest-...73000P?prdNo=1 Just to even sleep in the living room of the trailer, a lot better than an air mattress. Wish we had a pull out couch up there. That's a lot of gear to haul I suppose for car camping but it would sure make me comfortable.

I thought I had read that the canvas may take a couple of hours or so to dry, I didn't know it was two days! That could pose a problem, especially if used on a rainy weekend at the lake. I know we couldn't use the tent up there if it were to rain on a Sunday because it would have to dry that day. Definitely something to keep in mind and might be a deal breaker on those canvases much to my dismay or at least we'd have to take the tent home to dry that weekend.

Mike, my husband balked about going up on our budget to get a canvas but is considering. A pop-up is a lot more and there is a storage issue as we don't have the room to park it at our home or up at the lake. That might be an idea to pose to the other families up there, though, if we would all go in on it and agree to park it up there to use as extra room. My mother-in-law went on a whim when we first got the place and bought a Chinook camper for extra sleeping. Problem is, she didn't shop and she spent way too much for what she got and it only holds a king size bed. I won't get much farther into that whole fiasco but I'll just say my mother-in-law does things on impulse and that my father-in-law was not happy. My problem is I read way too much to decide what it is I want or need and certainly price compare.

I am thinking really hard about this, especially after seeing now that camping rates aren't all that cheap anymore and you might need reservations way in advance for any kind of site at all. So much for anything impromptu or even a couple weeks out. But hotels aren't cheap either and now we have the lovely possibility of bed bugs in any kind of place, even high end.

If you don't mind, I'm going to pose some questions, some repeats here, too.

Do you think the instant tents are a bad idea if something fails on it, it can't be easily replaced?

I've seen some of you say the rainfly on the Coleman's are inadequate and the tents aren't rainproof unless all the windows are zipped up. But on the canvas tents, are you keeping your windows down when it's raining, with the exception of anything under an awning?

How long does it take to put up and take down the Kodiak 9x12 cabin? How do you think that time compares to the flexbow?

Those with the Kodiak cabin tent with enclosed awning, has anyone had anyone sleep in the awning with wall enclosures room and used it as an extra tent per se?

Has anyone who has the Kodiak cabin ever had any food eaten inside the awning/enclosure room? Is this really a bad idea at any time, even breakfast, and do raccoons, etc., tear up a tent if it were done? (yeah, I know, i'm really wishful thinking here probably)

How useful is the awning on the flexbow for the rain or is it just a little sun-shade for your door?

Do you think I ought to just get the instant tent and rig up some kind of tarp above it if rain's coming?

Am I in over my head? Probably, but I still would like a tent because I still don't like my sister-in-law's tent. I'm also still looking for bedding because I don't like air mattresses and still need that, too.

You could say that the screen room on Craigslist isn't an initial priority, though.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, King and Mike!

Sorry for writing another novel here, too.

Comment

Allow me to put some ideas on the rest table! I have owned 2 Kodiak 9x12 Cabin Wall tents in my life time. Still have em both and even though one is ten years younger than the other I prefer the older but in reality that's just nostalgia for the way they was! The Kodiak 9x12 with screen room takes about 45 minutes to pitch! Course that's stopping for a beer or two and discussing the pros & cons of wind direction...steepness of terrain....whether to trench or not with my beloved wife! I'm pounding either 18" or 24" stakes, depending upon where it's decided the tent should go! Tying all guy lines and even pitching our 9x12 camo rain cover too! If I fear a heavy rain, there may be more tarps and slings of plastic over concerned area but in all it doesn't take more than an hour, 15 minutes to get it done! When I go camping with the Kodiak, it's long term(10 days) and I'm going for the enjoyment of camping: not how fast I can raise the canvas, but how secure I can make the canvas stay! The enclosed awning is a treat, cooking area if not in bear country and a restful lounging area if it is! For long term camping it's the best tent 'round. But just for a weekend, it's pretty much self-defeating; just get it to your liken, then ya gotta strike! That's why we are back to 3 season tents during three season and reserve the Kodiak for winter camping! It's not that the Kodiak is hot in the summer, it is not. It's just because this 60 year old youngin, takes a little longer getting down on one knee to sledge hammer a 17 lb slegde of 18" stakes at least 12 times awhile, to pitch the tent proper-like! Walking around with a folding shovel and trenching the tent to ease the pain of mother nature's rain which as time can be harsh lessons to learn! I heart(love) my Kodiak for long term camping! Good space well used! Weekends, there are plenty of great 3-season tents out thar! Ebay or not!

If you're going for the enjoyment of camping and have a few days...go Kodiak or Springbar....if not, go 3 season with Pahaque, REI, Coleman, what ever your back-pocket(credit) can afford! It's your home away from home, best put the best coverage one can afford over those that love you or be satisfied with those that will be dis-satisfied with camping forever! All in all even them were happy for the experience even though it took 'em 35 years to recover! Hehe!
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-17-2013, 11:27 PM.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Renodesertfox. I'm still reading up on here off and on quite a bit. My husband is one who has done more traditional camping than I but he doesn't have the time to do as much obsessive investigation about it as I do when I'm trying to decide on something. I know you have a lot of good things to say about your tent. I have just found a couple more threads that have been worthwhile reading, too. The Canvas or Nylon thread for one. I think it comes down to convenience or weather-proof. Considering what I've put up with when I've tented I'm leaning toward the weather-proof. I saw in your comments on the Canvas or Nylon you felt the canvas was cooler than a nylon. The thread where I became somewhat concerned was from the person who took a three week trip in hers. Someone else commented in another thread how versatile the 9x12 was for "weird" camping sites. What I really like about it is if it is a steady rain we can sit under the awning enclosure. Don't have anywhere to go with the flexbow with that although I think it is a real quality tent and has the faster set-up.

We definitely need a tent, though. There's always scout family camp outs that come up and we are borrowing tents for that. We could go for the Instant Tent but I definitely wouldn't feel I was "being prepared" as far as weather.

I think a lot of my questions are not much different from a lot of these threads I'm picking up here. Sorry if I'm making anyone repeat themselves for the millionth time!

Comment

Working...
            X