Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kodiak Canvas Experience

The short of it: Awful

The long of it: As a kid, I tent camped for over a decade w/ the Scouts in all kinds of weather and terrain. I've been in torrential downpours in the summer and woken up to 2 feet of snow. I've camped predominantly in Eureka Timberline series tents most of my life. I suppose I took for granted how bulletproof those things were (maybe still are).

I order a 10x10 Flex Bow VX (the one with the windows on the sides). Got a good price for it in January. About a month ago when the weather warmed sufficiently I pitched it in the back yard and spritzed the tent down with water all over for a good 1/2 hour. **note I'm way outside the return period on this thing now** I read this was required so that the seams and stitching and materials would shrink upon drying and essentially season the tent. At the time I noticed one spot on the roof of my new tent was lighter in color than the others. I figured maybe this spot was missed in the waterproofing process at the factory so I got my can of Kiwi Canvas spray and proceeded to spray this section.

Waited a good 6 hours while the wind was blowing and the sun was shining so as not to repack the tent wet and invite mold.

Fast forward to last weekend - my first camping trip w/ my wife and 2 girls !!! Very exciting !!! Pulled up to the campsite, pitched the tent, things are going well. Everyone is having fun, being outside is nice, looks like I didn't forget anything; we're on a roll. I'm feeling pretty good about myself - the first camping trip being the do/die w/ selling the whole idea to my family.

Than, after dinner it starts to rain.

Okay, that's a real downer but hey it is what it is so we make the best of it. Its not constant, so the girls are able to get out and explore/play/imagine things every now and than, so we make do. I unroll the sleeping pad mats and get them inflated, roll out the bags so they can breath a bit before we get into them, etc.

Time to put the girls to sleep - so we head back into the Kodiak to get them changed and what do we notice? The sleeping bag pads have a couple of drip marks on them. Each of them. I'm thinking to myself 'There was only one section where the color was different, so I sprayed it. How can I have multiple drips in here?'. Its bothering me a lot, but I pray that the heavens don't open this evening. We tuck the kids in, my wife and I resume our spots by the fire, and tip a few back and relax.

Later, we head in to go to sleep, and as luck would have it the heavens open up just enough to provide for a steady rain. Not a soaker or a downpour, but a steady rain. That's when life in the Kodiak took a complete dump.

Firstly, rain of any drop size larger than mist hitting the top of that flex bow roof is the loudest and most irritating sound I could imagine. It sorta smacks the roof and the roof reverberates a little bit like a drum because its so tight and relatively flat. LOUD. I'm not sure how anybody gets to sleep in a Kodiak during the rain unless they are drunk or exhausted. My experience with the Timberlines is completly contrary to this. The rain sounds like a large umbrella getting hit, and the drops sorta graze and roll off.

Secondly, and the most damning thing; the tent leaked from multiple spots like a sieve. The following morning we had 2 wet bags, 3 wet camp mats, and one half soaked pillow. This was not coming up from the floor (the floor still has no cuts or abrasions; in fact the floor is as advertised - bombproof). The tent itself? I can't even begin to share with you my immense dissatisfaction with its performance. Maybe that one light colored spot in the roof was the only part that actually got water proofed from the factory, because the tent as a whole was a complete waste of money. Non-wicking? Hogwash. I could touch the wall and pull my finger away all wet. There were a few random puddles inside my tent.

I believe I would have gotten better performance from a $79 tent from Wally World.

Now lets head outside the tent. Since it was a decent rain the dirt around the tent got muddy which I suppose lent itself to splashing. My tent had a ring around the bottom of splashed up mud/dirt. So not only did it leak, but it would look like crap unless I took it home and cleaned it. Of course, than I'd have to leave it out for more days waiting for it to dry.

Praise the Good Lord above that we didn't need to squirrel away a year's worth of savings to pay for this thing.

I rolled it up and discovered my last negative discovery; this wet Canvas tent was now easily 2x the weight. So now I have to bear hug it to move it into the back of the truck (lets face it, when its raining you're not on your hands and knees rolling ANY tent tight in order to bring it home). As I was waddling w/ my incredibly heavy, leaky, filthy new Kodiak Canvas I decided right there that it was never coming home with us.

We threw it in the campsite dumpster, poles and all. Went home and ordered a Big Agnes on a Memorial Day sale from Backcountry.com. I'm willing to bet a great deal that my next experience out, regardless of how heavy it rains, will be better than the one I just had.

I'm sure my Kodiak experience is contrary to what the majority have, however you will never find me camping in a canvas or Kodiak product again.

There was some positive that came out of all this though. 1. My girls still want to go camping again (THANK YOU !!!). 2. At least the site I chose was only 1/2 hour from where I live. First rule of Scouting: "Be Prepared". I wasn't taking my family far away for the maiden camping trip. At least I discovered the tent was garbage on a one night outing close to home.

Could have been worse.

Re: My Kodiak Canvas Experience

Whoa! That's just wrong on so many levels:(.
    You are a more forgiving person than I since I'd be on a major writing/telephone campaign with Kodiak (iPhone pics attached) to get my funds back, warranty out or not.
    It's good to know your family took the experience in stride and want to hit the great outdoors again.

And thanks for reinforcing a something I too have learned the hard way: Do not succumb to winter sales for expensive equipment when it'll eat up too much of the return period.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Whoa! That's just wrong on so many levels:(.
      You are a more forgiving person than I since I'd be on a major writing/telephone campaign with Kodiak (iPhone pics attached) to get my funds back, warranty out or not.
      It's good to know your family took the experience in stride and want to hit the great outdoors again.

And thanks for reinforcing a something I too have learned the hard way: Do not succumb to winter sales for expensive equipment when it'll eat up too much of the return period.
      Amen to the return period. One thing I'll say about Backcountry.com --> they are phenomenal to work with.

Big Agnes is a solid company and they redid the Big House 6 for 2013 (addressing the rainfly/tent mesh vulnerability problem they had prior). I'm confidant I'll be on a better path this time around !!!

Comment

First, I gotta ask: Did you REALLY throw a Kodiak Flexbow in the dumpster, or are you just saying that for dramatic effect? I would think that either he retailer or Kodiak would have replaced the tent for you

The rest of your story sounds like good old fashioned canvas tent camping. The old canvas tents were notorious for leaking in heavy rain. HOWEVER the new Kodiak owners tell me that today's Kodiaks are a big improvement over old canvas and they are waterproof

There is a lot to be said for even the simplest rain fly. No matter what kind of tent material or type of waterproofing, single wall tents are hard to keep dry

One final word about using aerosol spray waterpoofing. The solvents in most aerosol spray waterproofing damages the existing coatings, so often the rattle-can waterproofing does as much damage as it does good. If you really feel you need to use an aftermarket waterproofing, use a water-based liquid that you brush on

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          First, I gotta ask: Did you REALLY throw a Kodiak Flexbow in the dumpster, or are you just saying that for dramatic effect? I would think that either he retailer or Kodiak would have replaced the tent for you

The rest of your story sounds like good old fashioned canvas tent camping. The old canvas tents were notorious for leaking in heavy rain. HOWEVER the new Kodiak owners tell me that today's Kodiaks are a big improvement over old canvas and they are waterproof

There is a lot to be said for even the simplest rain fly. No matter what kind of tent material or type of waterproofing, single wall tents are hard to keep dry

One final word about using aerosol spray waterpoofing. The solvents in most aerosol spray waterproofing damages the existing coatings, so often the rattle-can waterproofing does as much damage as it does good. If you really feel you need to use an aftermarket waterproofing, use a water-based liquid that you brush on
          Joposy used the waterproofing recommended by the maker and I believe it only comes in an aerosol can.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yes it is in the dumpster. I have no remorse for putting it in there either. I'm sure I could've sent pictures and fought w/ Kodiak about it, but in the end I viewed it as the cost of a one night stay at a resort hotel w/ the family including taxes and what not. Most would have probably fought Kodiak, I agree.

And yes per NYCGrrl, I did use the manufacturer recommended waterproofing agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
              Yes it is in the dumpster. I have no remorse for putting it in there either. I'm sure I could've sent pictures and fought w/ Kodiak about it, but in the end I viewed it as the cost of a one night stay at a resort hotel w/ the family including taxes and what not. Most would have probably fought Kodiak, I agree.

And yes per NYCGrrl, I did use the manufacturer recommended waterproofing agent.
              Sometimes it's better to let it go and not obsess like some people have been known to do with sayyy... AT+T or Chase. Not that I would know anything about such behavior:rolleyes::o...ending post as Kenny Roger's sings "you've got to know when to fold...." in my head.
              2017:

Comment

So your complaints are
                1) it leaked, which I understand I would be mad as well.
                2) the sound of rain on the top of tent was loud.
                3)The outside of the tent got dirty from the mud splashing up on it and would of needed cleaning.
                4) Wet canvas weighs more than dry canvas, and since it rained you would of needed to set the tent up to dry out. Which would of been a great time to clean it as well.

So you threw away a practically brand new $600 tent in the dumpster. Gotta say I would of tried something else before throwing $600 in a dumpster. Hope you have the best of luck with your new tent.
                Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Essentially it was like I was camping with a massive pair of jeans over my head. Leaking implies there was a spot or two that was not wartertight. I believe my tent missed most of the entire water proofing process over at Kodiak. It would be more apt to say that my tent had a few water tight areas, as opposed to a leak or even a few leaks.

For example, the tent is not supposed to be moisture wicking, yet ever panel I put my had on came away wet.

In my opinion my particular 600 dollar tent could be best used as a gear garage. Were it not such a pain to take care of after the trip I might have kept it for such a purpose.

And for the record I spent 430 on it while it was on sale in January. For 600 bucks I probably would have went nuclear at the campsite.

Comment

That is why, if rain is predicted I always go to great lengths to tarp my Kodiak 9x12 including the attached awning. One tarp is 12x30 but I don't stop there. Several are added 8x10s even 5x7s. Thank you for your dis-satisfaction with your purchase. One must always be prepared(boy scout motto)!
                    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM.
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hey, different strokes for different folks right? As I said in my first post, there are clearly people who enjoy their canvas tents (the whole reason I bought one in the first place was the stout following they have here on this forum), however my experience, whatever the delta from everybody else's, was my experience all the same. If most had my experience, Kodiak would likely be out of business.

I'll chalk it up to bad luck and move on. I'm not crazy mad about it anymore; actually I'm rather happy it gave me a excuse to buy a tent more to what I'm accustomed to.

Comment

Well anyway, you tossed out a fancy pants tent. I've seen guys destroy golf clubs and all kinds of stuff when they get irritated.

I laughed at the "wet jeans" comparison. That was good

Make your next tent a nylon tent with a good solid rain fly.

Many of the things you did not like about your canvas tent will be resolved. It will be better weather protection. It will be more silent in the rain. It won't be so heavy when wet. Of course, the nylon is not as warm as canvas which is a strength of canvas in cool weather

Comment

I wonder what they would of said about your tent leaking the way it did. They come with a limited lifetime warrant I mean you just bought the tent, it shouldn't leak in its first season.

Kodiak Canvas
                          Limited Lifetime Warranty
                          This product is warranted, to the original purchaser, to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as you own the product. This product is made with quality materials and expert workmanship, but is not indestructible. This warranty does not cover damage attributed to or resulting from normal wear and tear (e.g. exhausted zippers), natural hazards (e.g. weather, animals), abuse (e.g. mold, mildew, burns, ultraviolet), or alterations or modifications of any kind. If your product is found defective, we will repair or replace it free of charge. Charges for shipping your product to Kodiak Canvas will be your responsibility. We reserve the right to make substitutions if parts are unavailable or obsolete. If your product needs repair beyond what is covered under warranty, we will provide parts and service at a reasonable charge.
                          This warranty gives you, the original purchaser, specific legal rights. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Do not return your product until you have received authorization and instruction to do so.

To obtain service contact us at www.KodiakCanvas.com, or write to:

Kodiak Canvas Customer Service
                          78 South Fairfield Rd. #101-109
                          Layton, UT 84040, USA.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I agree, could've definitely went the warranty route.

Things over the past 6 months have been contentious for my family and I. We moved into a new house in South Jersey 2 days before Sandy hit, there have been expenses and setbacks that came with that. Also the 'breaking in' the new house and the surprises that come with it. On top of that my wife had a employment setback which added to the stress (now working again, probably in a better place to boot).

Sometimes you just don't want to fight with something, you just want to cut bait. Like I said, in the grand scheme of things the tent cost about what a evening in a resort hotel would have cost for my family. Didn't have the fight in me for it.

Now if the Big Agnes leaks it will be a different story !!!

Comment

As you gave such a great descriptive report for the major problems you encountered with the Kodiak Flex-Bow and that you willingly shared with us your dissatisfaction with Kodiak, and have kept a positive attitude and moved on to the Big Agnes; we are all looking forward to your next camp-out and hopefully another great report! Just wish you had gone the way of the warranty, surely Kodiak would have replaced it. I'm happy that you haven't given up on tent camping altogether and throwing CF in the garbage can as well! Thank you for sharing your story and keeping it real!
                              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X