Need Ideas on How to Secure This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Ideas on How to Secure This

Hogsnapper's recent post about his rig being stolen with all his equipment really got me thinking. I have a hitch trailer on the back of my van and I keep some tubs on the back. One has out air mattresses, packs and fans. The other has lanterns, collapsible water holders, first aid items, pots, binoculars, etc. in it. The set of drawers holds our kitchen stuff. I had only planned on putting a cinch strap across to keep it secure, but do I need to do something else to keep it from being stolen?

I honestly had not thought about people messing with it, but we are going on a 50+ day trip and will be parking the van plenty of places. Trailheads, grocery stores, etc. Do I need to make it thief proof or have you had something like this before and no one has messed with it? If I need to secure it how? I have thought of a million things, but nothing really would keep someone from getting to the stuff fairly easily.

Re: Need Ideas on How to Secure This

Ooops forgot the photos.

Comment

I would built myself a box made from plywood that would fit inside the Hitch Hauler. Fit it with a hinged lid and a locking hasp and put a padlock on it. Also, be sure to use a locking hitch pin or you could have a couple of guys yanking the whole works off of your van and all you'll be left with is an empty hitch.

Comment

Wheel Lock System from Gorilla: http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...-Lock-Systems/ .

Steering Wheel Lock: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Club-.../dp/B0000CBILL

Hitch Lock: http://www.northerntool.com/trailers/

Hand Guns: http://www.smith-wesson.com

Hope this helps in the future! We have had bicycle tires stolen, paddles for our Kayak stolen. But luckily our WJ has never been stolen. I have always used Gorilla wheel locks, and a Gorilla steering wheel lock. Now I ordered a hitch lock about 6 days ago. And in my messenger(camera) bag I conceal a small .38 and that goes with me every where. Just saying! And I do follow the advice of always watching and never leave my jeep without the attention it deserves! For example the Nikon D800 was $2999.00 just for the body not mentioning the Nikkor glass I have! Really do hope you'll get everything back! Traveling solo, it's very hard to keep an eagle eye for vandals & thieves! My wife carries a derringer too!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have always worried abot theft. Fortunately everything except my kayak fits inside the car. For the kayak I have Thule racks that lock to the car, and locking nylon covered steel load straps to secure the kayak to the racks. I still worry if I have to leave the car unattended for any length of time. Good luck with finding the best system.

Comment

Thanks all. I already have locking hitch pins on there, one in the adapter and one where the hitch trailer fits in. I think I have devised a semi decent plan, since we leave today there is no time to build a box and I honestly didn't think of the possibility of people taking the stuff until the other day.

I am going to take metal cables, like the ones you might see to lock a bike up, drill one hole in each of the handles of the tubs where the top of the lid overlaps, run the cable through there and then secure the cable to the frame of the trailer with a lock. If someone wants to go through the trouble of cutting the locks or thick cables, they were going to get my stuff no matter what I do. It's the best I can come up with on short notice, and all I have to do to access each box is undo one lock and flip the lid back. Unfortunately, with four boys, I cannot leave someone in the car to watch the stuff when we go somewhere and there is not room for it all in the van because they take up the seats.

Comment

A Thule Cargo box like ours costs more than a basket, but has a trunk-type cylinder lock, license plate mount and tail/signal lamps - and there are no straps to come loose while you're driving. In-camp I put a padlock with adjustable shackle through the eye of the Thule Combi cargo box to keep it from growing legs, since any Class II receiver can accept it (providing they have the proper bolt and nut setup). Another benefit is that the design has the Class I adapter built-in to the box, so you don't have your load capacity reduced by using the adapter type Kbunn is using in the photo above (Class I/Class II adapter).
              Last edited by tplife; 06-01-2013, 09:19 AM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Having had some theft at home, I now secure everything with stout cables and the round disk locks - harder to cut. Haven't had a repeat.
                I am on the lookout for some type of cable net that could cover an open load like you are carrying. Nothing is totally secure to a determined and skilled thief, but some common sense can usally prevent these opportunistic thieves - just deny them the easy opportunity!
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Theft is very high every where. Even I having to deal with it, but I know who stole my stuff and I can not turn in my own Niece though she cost me over 50K so far

Comment

On my trailer, I drilled and tapped a 1/2" hole in the frame and installed some eye bolts. I then used a "U" shaped bicycle lock and feed through the holes in the rims and the eye bolts. I did it to both wheels. As someone said, it wasn't steal proof, but it made the other unsecured trailer in the neighborhood a better target.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                      A Thule Cargo box like ours costs more than a basket, but has a trunk-type cylinder lock, license plate mount and tail/signal lamps - and there are no straps to come loose while you're driving. In-camp I put a padlock with adjustable shackle through the eye of the Thule Combi cargo box to keep it from growing legs, since any Class II receiver can accept it (providing they have the proper bolt and nut setup). Another benefit is that the design has the Class I adapter built-in to the box, so you don't have your load capacity reduced by using the adapter type Kbunn is using in the photo above (Class I/Class II adapter).
                      Definitely something to consider for next summer. Thanks!

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                      Sounds like a good plan, KBunn. Don't let it worry you, go have fun! Have a great trip!
                      Thanks! Last night was out first night and was pretty rough. Strong thunderstorms, but the tent made it through like a champ. The cable ties and locks seem to be working, I just want it to look like enough of a hassle that it seems not worth it. LOL

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                      Having had some theft at home, I now secure everything with stout cables and the round disk locks - harder to cut. Haven't had a repeat.
                      I am on the lookout for some type of cable net that could cover an open load like you are carrying. Nothing is totally secure to a determined and skilled thief, but some common sense can usally prevent these opportunistic thieves - just deny them the easy opportunity!
                      My first thought was a chain cargo net, but I couldn't find one.

Comment

Working...
                      X