sleeping bag for summer ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping bag for summer ONLY

Going to do some kayak camping this late July up in Canada Georgian Bay. Not much of a camper type. Haven't gone camping since I was a little kid. Looking for a sleeping bag. Now I will ONLY camp in the summer. NEVER in fall or winter and if I did decide later I would get a different sleeping bag. So with that in mind I was just thinking a Fleece type sleeping bag that campmor sells, rated for 60F would be fine. I cant image it getting very cold plus I will have a layer a fleece cloths I could put on if it got colder which I doubt. The bag iam talking about is this one http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41895

Oh I already have a thermarest sleeping pad, a 2 inch thick on, cant remember the model name but it seems nice and comfy.

Re: sleeping bag for summer ONLY

I bought something just like this, but from LL Bean. I hope I chose wisely.

Comment

Warm weather bags are usually convenient, smaller/lighter.
      I would prefer something with a lower rating,
      Temps can easily dip below 60 even in summer,
      I use 1 muummy bag for 4 seasons, only thing I change is my attire.

Comment

I have a Swiss Military surplus 70/30 wool liner that I bring with me. It is very thin though. If its hot i use just it, bought it from cheaper than dirt for 12 dollars i think. Does great in a coleman bag too if it gets cold.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I will check out that wool liner.

Oh I do have a sleeping pad a theremarest trail Pro, 2 inch thick as the islands I will camp on are mostly rock.

Comment

In summer conditions, I just bring a GI wool-blend blanket. I'll usually sleep on it, rather than under it.
            But one thing I learned - ALWAYS plan for temps about twenty degrees colder than you expect!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              You make it sound like this is a one off trip. If so then just bring along an old blanket and a sheet - something you won't mind messing up. The fleece sleeping bag link you posted will also work well.

You might want to supplement this system with a little insurance by bringing along a space blanket. The SOL Surival Blanket from Adventure Medical Kits is an awesome little blanket for less than $7 that could save your life if an unexpected cold front comes through the area. You would use this as an addition to the fleece bag, not as a substitute.
              http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...hp?product=147
              http://www.rei.com/product/813514/sol-survival-blanket
              They also make a bivy bag version if you want to go one step up but it will cost a bit more.

You don't mention anything about a pad. In case you overlooked it, you will most definitely want some kind of pad to sleep on. While you can make a pretty soft bed out of pine boughs, it's a lot of work each night to do that. A pad is much simpler, especially if you'll be sleeping on the beach wherever you are kayaking. Rocky shorelines are especially tough on the body at night.
              I agree with Hogsnapper 100%. Your needs can be met with blankets from home that you already have. Two thinner blankets are better/warmer, more versitile, and easier to pack in a kayak than than one thick blanket. Synthetics only, NO COTTON! Wool maybe

BTW, Canada's Georgian Bay can get cold at night even in July - especially if you are camping near water. I think you will freeze your asss off in the single layer fleece "bag" the OP referenced.

Georgian Bay is a phenominally gorgeous place but mostly rock. Even under the thin topsoil is cold hard rock. So a good pad is defintely needed.
              Last edited by Mike; 06-08-2013, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X