First time camper please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time camper please help!

My girlfriend and I are going camping in a couple of weeks. Neither one of us have ever been before.

We're doing this because we both just want to 'get away' for a couple days. We don't want to have to deal with any other people or have civilization anywhere in sight for miles. Ideally, we would like to be in a forested area near a lake or river and really just be off the grid for a lack of a better term.

This being said, I'm really shying away from the traditional campgrounds where people drive up their RV's and have other campers in close proximity.

I guess my question is: Can I just drive into any State Park in Michigan (We live in Chicago but are willing to drive) find a nice area in the forest, and camp their? Or do we have to be on an official "Campground"?

I want this to be special for us so we can really get some quality time together. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: First time camper please help!

Short answer is yes, you can - http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1303--,00.html

However, for your first time out I'd caution against trying to "rough it" too much - yes camping among people has it's own annoyances, but it's a good "test run" to see if your gear will work out without finding yourself stranded somewhere, and for you to make a list of things you didn't realize you'd need, and also to identify the things you thought were vital to your trip that barely got touched. You could do a quick overnight trip somewhere as a prep for your first "real" camping trip. Also, you may find state forest campgrounds relatively deserted - especially if you pick one without running water (I don't know if there are any, but that has always been our experience, the fewer facilities, the fewer visitors).

Also, if you are dry camping, find out what the "rules" are for grey water and human waste where you will be camping before you find yourself breaking the law.
    Last edited by sarahspins; 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

The National Forest developed campgrounds in my area have a "primitive" area for tenters. One campground has no hookups at all. Makes for a nice camp without big rigs with AC units humming and generators rattling. Think about going during the week. Most campgrounds are quiet during this time allowing you a more "private" camping experience even in an established campground. Grandson and I camped at Nat'l Forest last Sun-Wed. We were the only tent campers there all 4 nights. Our local state parks are about the same.

Comment

The "1000 Lakes" area of S. Michigain has some nice places where you should be more or less in privacy. The sites are more spread out than here in the southwest..."Fort Wayne, the only Hole Above Ground!"
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X