Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick out a tent!

Hey all!

So, a little background. It's my first post after all!

My name is John. Lived in and grown up in a rural area all my life. I know my way around tools and around the woods! Camped and hunted as a kid quite a bit. Then got away from it for a few years. My wife and I would really like to get back into it (she did too when she was younger). I'm certainly no stranger to camping- but far from an expert.

Seems like a logical place to start is a tent. I've pretty much got cooking and utensils and such covered. Did that several times a year for many years! I cook with cast iron a lot at home and plan on bringing a little of that. I've also got a coleman stove, and I'll pickup some more stuff later on.

The kicker is, we'll be camping off of our motorcycles. BUT, I do (or will shortly have) a cargo trailer. So I've got about as much room as a big car trunk. So I'm not that constricted in terms of storage; but it's not unlimited either. The cargo trailer will have about as much room as a big plastic car-top carrier. (The cargo area is similar in design. For years guys have been putting those on wheels and hauling them behind their motorcycles; that's basically what this is just tweaked a bit!) However, it does present some unique challenges for what I need from the tent!

So;

What I want in a tent:

Room to stand up is a must. We will be easing into it but the eventual plan is to do some long distance camping. We do a lot of long distance riding anyway, but we'd like to replace motels with campgrounds (would be way more fun.) That means setting up at night, taking off in the morning. Not ALWAYS, but sometimes. So, if it's pouring down rain when we wake up, we need room to stand up and get our clothes and rain gear on. Being soaked to the bone is miserable, but if I can get my rain gear on before I step out of the tent I'm golden!

On with that theme, it needs to be dry and roomy. Roomy enough to store clothes and rain gear. I like the idea of a vestibule or something.

Needs to be cool in the summer, for sure. Won't be doing a lot of winter camping! If any at all, really. But traveling on bikes means no A/C for us, potentially, on the entire trip. Definitely need to rest and cool off! On that note; are those 'cooler a/c' get-ups any good? Seems easy enough to make (forcing air over ice with a 12v fan basically)

Needs fairly quick setup and takedown for two adults. As I said; occasionally, it'll be one-night-at-a-time. (We may do 3,000 miles one way, setting up 3 or 4 nights along the way, then spending a week at our destination)

Weatherproof is a must too. Again, getting wet is a bad idea. As long as I'm dry and can get into my rain gear I'm fine, but if I'm wet underneath my rain gear it's awful. So waking up having been rained on is no good!

thanks!

Any other tips, by the way? Assume you had to pack everything into a car-top carrier. 100% of it. What would you bring? What would you leave home? Assume also some of that space is going to be taken. For one, a motorcycle electrical system isn't capable of charging our cellphones overnight (when it's running sure, but those batteries are small). We've got a DSLR and two cellphones to keep charged. So I was probably going to haul a deep cycle battery or a SMALL (thinking 1000 watt Honda) generator. This assumes worst-case scenario and not camping in campgrounds without electricity.

Thanks! Sorry for the long winded approach but I'm really trying to do my research! I think we're going to start camping next spring; with a few local 'jaunts' this fall to close by places (there's a state park 20 minutes away; after all I live in the place everyone else runs away to on the weekend!). As a matter of fact I used to live on 20 acres that bordered a state park with campgrounds!

After a few medium size trips I think the plan is to head to the grand canyon, we've been wanting to do that for a while! I live in Missouri, so it's a bit of a hike to the grand canyon from here!

Thanks!

John

Re: Help me pick out a tent!

Easy pack tents for motorcycle that are tall enough to stand in are limited. You will want easy fast set-up if you are on the move every day.

Coleman Instant Tent 4 at ten pounds $140. Sets up in one minute make sure to buy the rain fly add-on; http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29025

Probably a better tent the Eureka Copper Canyon 4 at 20 lbs. easy set-up (but not one minute), less bulky, $200 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28640

Last edited by Mike; 06-24-2013, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Hello and welcome, John!
      I'm still absorbing your post which I must note is quite clear in your needs.
      Sound like you'll be having fun out there on your bikes.

I'm going to concentrate on your want to fit all gear in a car top carrier. Starting with sleep needs I'd opt for self inflatable sleep pads. A down or synthetic sleeping bag that can open all the way around and is big enough to sleep two. I'm waiting (patiently) for a mini lamp to arrive here and will let you know how it works in the field when I get it in my eagerly waiting hands. It's a SnowPeak and looks like this:

http://www.campsaver.com/mini-hozuki#ReviewHeader

I'm hoping it'll replace my need for flashlights and if it also sends off a credible amt of light for general use that would make me very happy.

A foldable firepit/grill is great not only for it's dual purpose, fuel conservation but yes you have to love the little space it takes up.

The best insulated small cooler your money can buy. I'm thinking one no bigger than 30 qts should satisfy your needs.

That's a nice looking tent, Mike, posted and I think it's a new to Coleman version as there are no current reviews for this specific model. You've time to do research on it as the summer goes along.

That's about all I can think of for the moment.

Enjoy your stay here and have fun planning your trip!
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hands down, the Coleman Prairie Breeze. Roomy, put up-take down in less than 5 minutes, sturdy in the wing and will fit in small cargo trailers like you mentioned. Here's a link to where we bought ours at...and it's on sale right now too!

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...rairie&Ntk=All

Comment

I should've mentioned there's a cooler rack on the tongue of the trailer, so a full size cooler is "free space" for groceries and such. Planned on filling it at the last gas station / store before our destination.

I've seen those big coleman tents before. How are they in the rain? Do they include a rainfly? If the weather gets nasty is it still a great tent? Remember I don't have a car to retreat to so these are all pretty big concerns!

HogSnapper, hadn't thought about a tarp structure to cook under in the rain. That's a good idea!

Thanks all, for the tips

Comment

x2 on the coleman instant tent. it literally sets up in about a minute. pound in the stakes and go!

Comment

My wife and I love our Eureka Copper Canyon but it does take a little while to set up and take down.

Comment

A 6-man tent (we use a Sierra Designs Bedouin 6) will allow you to stand up, have plenty of room, weigh around 25 pounds, and is an easy 5 minute setup if you do it a couple of times. Choose a "quality" company's polyester and/or nylon tent from a name like Big Agnes, NorthFace, Sierra Designs, Marmot, Mountain HardWear, REI or EMS. It will have a full-coverage fly, anodized aluminum poles, lots of useful vertical space, a waterproof bathtub floor, taped seams, mesh ventilation, and color coded corners. If a tent doesn't have these features (canvas excepted, whole 'nother subject), move on to one that does. This will guarantee you decades of use, a lifetime guarantee, customer service for repairs, and rain and wind integrity. Ebay or discounters like CampMor or BackCountry or Jeb's Teepees or whoever will provide additional savings. I've bought three at 60% off MSRP so it's not Rocket Surgery...

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hi Romans5.8, welcome to the form. Whatever tent you get, make sure the rain fly comes all the way to the ground. I've got an REI Kingdom 6 (6 person), but the REI 4 would be plenty for y'all. The best thing is that in it's carrying case. It's the size of a backpack, in the form of a backpack, and at under 20 lbs. Check it out. REI's a little on the pricy side, but like you said, staying dry is what it's all about. Good luck and happy camping.

http://www.rei.com/product/829184/re...om-4-tent-2012
                  Nights camping in 2013-----12
                  Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                  Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Working...
                  X