Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First camping trip this weekend....rain is forecasted....best way to set up camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First camping trip this weekend....rain is forecasted....best way to set up camp?

Hi all!
    I'm new here, we are taking our first family tent camping trip this coming weekend (me and hubby and our three boys ages 8,5,5)
    We are staying at a campground, but as I'm looking at the forecast.....it's not looking very good.
    Here's what we have...8x10 tent, 10x10 instant canopy, screen house, and a tarp that I picked up that is size 18x20
    What is our best way to setup camp....and what else do we need? Can I use the instant canopy and screen house as anchors for our tarp? Or would that not work.....very worried....took alot of convincing to talk my hubby into going camping....would hate for it to be a disaster!
    Thanks so much!

Re: First camping trip this weekend....rain is forecasted....best way to set up camp?

Put the screen canopy, instant canopy and tent close together and leave the big tarp at home. Wear a rain jacket. Rain is fun. Don't let it get you down.

drainage is 1000 times more important than the overhead stuff. find a site where the water runs away.

Comment

Re: First camping trip this weekend....rain is forecasted....best way to set up camp?

The wind forecast isn't high at all. 8-12mph
      I'm not concerned rain will put a damper on what we do......worried more about everything getting wet. We have a tent I picked up on clearance last year, it's a Coleman but never used it yet.
      Thanks! I know the boys will have a blast......but hoping hubby will not hate it and not want to go again...lol!

Comment

The wind forecast isn't bad ...8-12mph...so that's good.
        I know the boys will have a blast in the rain, my main concern is keeping our stuff dry.
        Thanks for the replies!
        I'll bring our ponchos and extra clothes too!

Comment

We did set it up in the backyard.....so tent has all the parts, but we have never set up a tarp before.

Comment

As every other contributor already posted, don't let the rain forcast change your plans. MANY MANY times, the forecasts are wrong, but even if it does rain, big deal.

If you are going car camping at a state or national park or county park, try to find a park that has nice pavillions. You can go to these and play cards or games or sit around a chat while it rains. They are spacious and have picnic benches. SOME even have indoor facilities. A nice pavillion is better than even the best tarp.

Last edited by Mike; 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

take some board or card games to entertain the kids if it is raining. I am sure I don't have to tell you how kids get when they are bored. You could also read stories to them.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

In case you decide to use a tarp for ground cover, make sure the tarp does not extend past your tent. Otherwise, rain will collect on top of your tarp, and settle into a puddle underneath your tent.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

The constant buffetting of even a moderate wind will rip the tarp's corners out, unless secured properly with bungees. Anchoring to tent or canopy shelter could prove disastrous.
                    I have two 20X40 blue tarps with corners ripped out.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X