Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Cover in Black Diamond Tent First time Post

Hello Everyone:

First post on this forum and I have a question regarding a Black Diamond Tent I have owned for about 5 years. We bought it but have not used it since we got it at REI about 5 years ago. We had set it up before but we are about to go on a long motorcycle trip and when we tested it out again out side this afternoon the cover on the tent was very sticky. The seam tape was cracking as well. The tent is a 3 person Vista version of Black Diamond. I had not noticed any stickiness to the inside of the rip stop nylon before. I am just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this? I tried washing the bag (same material) but it did nothing to resolve the tacky feel on the inside of the material.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Question about Cover in Black Diamond Tent First time Post

Hi, and welcome to the form. I just found it a couple of months ago, and am so glad I did. If I were you, I'd contact REI for help. They should be able to give you some advice. I buy most of my stuff from REI, and have been very pleased. Hope everything works out. Happy camping.
    Nights camping in 2013-----12
    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

I checked with REI as well as Black Diamond who told me there was a manufacturing problem with the "Fly". The folks at Black Diamond send me a new fly and it is perfect. Excellent service on their part!

Comment

Great!!!! I'm glad to know there are still some honest businesses out there.
        Nights camping in 2013-----12
        Nights camping in 2014----- 4
        Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Originally posted by one terrific hog View Post
          I checked with REI as well as Black Diamond who told me there was a manufacturing problem with the "Fly". The folks at Black Diamond send me a new fly and it is perfect. Excellent service on their part!

Wow, that is excellent service! Says a lot about buying good products from good reputable producers. The problem you experienced was common on old school tent waterproof coatings of the 1980's and early 1990's, but that was after they had been around for thirty years or so. It didn't typically happen on tents that were only five years old.

By the way, for those of you with older tents (1980's/1990's vintage) with the sticky coating phenominon, I found that using Star Brite waterproofing not only makes the tent waterproof again, but it also helps prevent the coated sides from sticking together like the sticky sides of two pieces of tape.

Comment

Working...
          X