Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent question

Hi Gang,

I'm new to this forum. I've lurked for a bit soaking up some knowledge but never registered until today.

I have a question. I saw a tent a while back that uses 10x10 a popup canopy as the bones/frame. I cannot for the life of me remember the name. Does anyone know the one I am referring to and are they any good?

Thanks!

-S

Re: Tent question

I answered my own first question. The tent I was thinking of was standing room tents. You can find them on amazon or their own website. You have to buy a 10x10 pop up canopy and it hangs from that. From the reviews, the people who own them like them. I'm still curious if anyone here has one or has any opinion on them.

They run about $140 and a decent pop up will run about $175 which puts the total cost at $315 before shipping.

The 10x10 footprint is kind of big, but I like the space and standing room.

-S

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
      There are several brands that have add on panels... EzUp, FirstUp, Shelterlogic, and others.

In my opinion, this setup makes for a terrible tent. You'll keep out rain but not bugs who will get through the smallest openings. It's also bulky and takes a long time to setup. It also has no floor so the creepy crawlies, mud, and condensation from the ground will be major problems. Canopies are also much harder to stake down properly since they only have 4 legs or points of contact with the ground - this will become more than apparent to you around 3am some night as a storm rolls in.

If you want a big tent, get a big tent. If you want a screen house/shade canopy, then get a screen house/shade canopy. Most car camping folks have a tent for sleeping and a screen house for cooking/meal prep and as a place to go when it rains during the day. Having separate structures also let's you stay out of the tent all day - keeping the floor clean and the screens closed. There are plenty of tents that are tall to meet your height requirements - you don't have to resort to a shade canopy to find a tall tent.

hope that helps and welcome to the forum.
      Hi HS!

Thanks for the welcome and thoughts on the tent. It's not quite just a pop up canopy with sides:

My first thought when I heard of them was it's probably garbage, but once I saw a pic I became more interested. Their company is in the next town over from where my father-in-law lives, so I may pay them a visit the next time I am there, unless I get impatient and buy one.

-S

Comment

If you want a tent, buy a tent. If you want a sun shade, then buy a canopy. Those things are probably garbage For $315 you can get a lot better tent with a warranty. If you are worried about standing room and easy set up, go with the Coleman instant tent. For that price you could get the tent and some more camping gear.

Course this is all dependent on whether or not you are related to the "Standing Room Only" tents people. Guess we will have to see if you become a valuable member or if you just post about standing room only tents.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          If you want a tent, buy a tent. If you want a sun shade, then buy a canopy. Those things are probably garbage For $315 you can get a lot better tent with a warranty. If you are worried about standing room and easy set up, go with the Coleman instant tent. For that price you could get the tent and some more camping gear.

Course this is all dependent on whether or not you are related to the "Standing Room Only" tents people. Guess we will have to see if you become a valuable member or if you just post about standing room only tents.
          Hi King,

I found this particular tent only while reading tons of reviews on amazon on the larger family/cabin/base camp style tents. Someone mentioned it in a review so I looked it up. I really have no affiliation with them. I was just hoping that before I made up my mind on a type of tent I had never seen that I could get some feedback on how well they work. It seems that there is some hesitation to mix a tent with a canopy type device. :confused:

I will take a look at the Coleman's again!

-S

Comment

Since I have stirred the pot a little, I figured I had better introduce myself. I'm a computer geek(for a living) that started camping as a child in the 70's. I spent some time in the Marines in the 80's and 90's. I've camped in 4 seasons in about 15 different states both in the military and as a civilian. My bark is much worse than my bite :D.

I currently own a Coleman Weathermaster 17x9 that I bought about 11-12 years back. It's been a great tent, but it's starting to show it's age and things are starting to tear and fall apart. It also weighs about a bazillion pounds. I figured it was time for a new tent which is why I started looking earlier this spring.

For my budget I would like to stay under $500 if possible, but I want to get the best bang for my buck. We really only camp at sites where the vehicle is right there, so the weight is only me being lazy :D. Right now I live/camp in Northern Cali so rain is not that much of an issue. I am looking for a decent sized family tent that is not going to fall apart the first time I use it. That's the primary need. Beyond that, easy to set up would be nice.

Sorry if I initially came across as someone pushing a particular brand/style of gear. It was not my intention!

-S

Comment

No problem. The OP of the thread you mentioned came on here and was trying to drum up some business. He was moved to the unapproved vendors forum and never returned. When you mentioned that they were made in the town your father in law lives in, I assumed you were affiliated I have saw that you posted other stuff and will take it that you are on the up and up.
              I rock a Kodiak Bow Flex Canvas tent, so that tent is probably not the tent for you, it is heavy. I don't know about the Coleman tent. They get pretty good reviews, and the thread on here has a bunch but praise, but I don't know. Check REI for tents. They have a pretty good warranty.

Comment

No problem. The OP of the thread you mentioned came on here and was trying to drum up some business. He was moved to the unapproved vendors forum and never returned. When you mentioned that they were made in the town your father in law lives in, I assumed you were affiliated I have saw that you posted other stuff and will take it that you are on the up and up.
                I rock a Kodiak Bow Flex Canvas tent, so that tent is probably not the tent for you, it is heavy. I don't know about the Coleman tent. They get pretty good reviews, and the thread on here has a bunch but praise, but I don't know. Check REI for tents. They have a pretty good warranty.
                What size Kodiak do you have? How long have you had it? I was reading up on Kodiaks and found Springbars. Other than being a little on the pricey side and a bit heavy, they both seem to be great tents. Both tents run between $600 and $700 for a 10x14. If you get 10 years out of it, that's only 60-70/year for a top notch home away from home. It's something to think about.

-S

Edit: The canvas tents made me think of living out of GP tents for long periods of time. I also remember a cold weather tent in the service that was 6 man and, if I remember right, round. I only spent 4-5 days in it at a cold weather school. I cannot remember the name but I found a pic:
                Last edited by stuartl89; 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM. Reason: other thoughts

Comment

I have a 10x14 bow flex. I love it. I think it is 3 or 4 years old now. Still looks new, last year i spent 21 nights in it from April until late September. I am up to about 10 this year. So lets say 30 nights for easy math. 600/20=30 a night. I went ahead and bought a canvas t, because it should last until my daughter is out of the house. And she was 4 when i bought it. These canvas that's are nothing like the Canada rents we had in the army. They necessary better and were lighter. They also hold heat well to. I idea Mr Buddy heated to heat in the cooler temps. It is well with the investment IMHO.

Comment

I have a 10x14 bow flex. I love it. I think it is 3 or 4 years old now. Still looks new, last year i spent 21 nights in it from April until late September. I am up to about 10 this year. So lets say 30 nights for easy math. 600/20=30 a night. I went ahead and bought a canvas t, because it should last until my daughter is out of the house. And she was 4 when i bought it. These canvas that's are nothing like the Canada rents we had in the army. They necessary better and were lighter. They also hold heat well to. I idea Mr Buddy heated to heat in the cooler temps. It is well with the investment IMHO.
                    Now I'm seriously looking at the same 10x14 Kodiak. I have order in the next day or so. My trip is coming up soon!

Do you use a tarp under it?

-S

Edit: removing the questions about stakes. I see you answered that question in another thread.
                    Last edited by stuartl89; 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I don't use a tarp under mine. It wouldn't hurt though. I started using a tarp under it, they I read that you were supposed to use a slightly smaller tarp under your tent, so water wouldn't run/stand between the tarp and tent. So I quit. I am looking at buying the tarp that they make for it, but it seems like when I have the extra money, the tarp is out and visa versa. The wife gets mad when I buy camping stuff.
                      Here is a tarp made special for the Kodiak Canvas.
                      http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...l.aspx?ID=1719

Comment

I just realized that I don't have a good picture of my tent. I will have to rectify that on the next trip.

Comment

With the use of a canvas tent (treated duck), a footprint no larger than the tent's outline makes good sense - it's not a synthetic fabric's waterproof "bathtub" design, so minimizing pooling should help the treated fabric to keep the water outside the tent.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I just ordered the 10x14 Kodiak. The more I read, the more I was sure it's a great investment. Thanks again for the pointers!

Comment

Which model and size?

Comment

Working...
                              X