Coleman Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Tents

I am thinking about buying a Coleman 7X7 tent, I believe it is called The Sundowner? The main usage will be for either two day-one night or three day-two night camps at the sports car races. I have a fair amount of Coleman camping gear such as lanterns, stoves and tables and stove stands and this is why I was considering a Coleman. A year ago I used a Kelty (spelling ?) a couple of times but my son camped out at the beach and the wind pretty much bent the poles beyond use. Any help I can get as far as the quality, company support and anything else will be appreciated.

Re: Coleman Tents

Kelty is generally a higher quality tent. I have many Coleman tents and have had good luck. They get a lot of bashing on here. Seal the seams well . For just 1 or 2 nights you should be OK in that size tent for 2. Plan on keeping extra gear in vehicle.

Comment

I think there are 2 different versions of Coleman. I think that Coleman makes a cheaper line and a "signature series" line. I know the Coleman "signature series" lantern that I bought at REI feels sturdier than the one at wally world, and it puts out more lumens. As far as your boy tearing up the Kelty, I think my teenage boy could tear up an anvil. I wouldn't base anything on something a teenage boy used.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        I think there are 2 different versions of Coleman. I think that Coleman makes a cheaper line and a "signature series" line. I know the Coleman "signature series" lantern that I bought at REI feels sturdier than the one at wally world, and it puts out more lumens. As far as your boy tearing up the Kelty, I think my teenage boy could tear up an anvil. I wouldn't base anything on something a teenage boy used.
        Thank you for the information, actually I was not basing my opinion of Kelty Tents based on the torture test given by my son. I really liked the Kelty and might purchase one, my only thought process with the Coleman was to keep all of my gear the same. Speaking of sons, my son is now 41 years of age and he can still kill that anvil. A year and a half ago I traded my Scion tC in for a Hyundai Elantra 2012. If you would have told me four years ago I would buy a Hyundai I would have laughed until I was blue in the face. My deciding factor was that my son bought a 2001 Elantra GT new in 2001 and it now has 175 K on the clock. To say the least my son is mechanically challenged and does not do a lot of routine maint. I thought if he can not kill that sucker in 11 years and 150 K I will give one a chance. By the way, the 01 GT is now mine as a result of him getting 15 guns from me and reloading equipment and I am in the process of attempting to restore it to new condition. Runs great, however, daughter in law backed into the left front fender and door. They have already been replaced at my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayberryman View Post
          I am thinking about buying a Coleman 7X7 tent, I believe it is called The Sundowner? The main usage will be for either two day-one night or three day-two night camps at the sports car races. I have a fair amount of Coleman camping gear such as lanterns, stoves and tables and stove stands and this is why I was considering a Coleman. A year ago I used a Kelty (spelling ?) a couple of times but my son camped out at the beach and the wind pretty much bent the poles beyond use. Any help I can get as far as the quality, company support and anything else will be appreciated.
          I just replaced my coleman weathermaster after many years of happy camping. I cannot think of anything I really didn't like about it. If the tent you are referring to is the Sundome, it has a lot of good reviews. Walmart has them for $60 so they are affordable.

How many people do you plan on sleeping in it? It says it's a three person tent. That usually means 3 will fit but maybe with no gear or 2 people plus gear.

Comment

Working...
          X