Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Heater Needed

But I don't want to go broke!

I have not as yet done any winter camping, mainly because my camping/tenting mate won't agree to go until we purchase a heater. So what kind of heater would you suggest? I have been looking at some, not all are to be used in tents. Please give me some advice on this!

Re: Tent Heater Needed

If you are using a larger family tent, the Mr. Heater Buddy Jr. works very well. Uses one pound propane cartridge tanks, runs three hours on high, or all night on low. The typical tent has enough ventilation so there is no risk of CO troubles.
    The Big Buddy uses two propane cartridges,puts out more heat for longer, but is pricier. Both can be converted to use the common 20-pound propane tank.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Like stated above, I have the Mr. Buddy heater. I have the one with a high (9,000 btu) and low(4500) option. The Big Buddy heater has a high(18,000), med(9000), and low(4500) option. I like my Mr. Buddy heater when I camp, but If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the Big Buddy. Its not that much more, and the high on the big is double the high on the mr.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I have two systems for my camping 24/7/365. I use a mr. buddy up until the snow is heavy and I change systems. One thing is to get a good bag, separate yourself from the ground. I would suggest the jigsaw puzzle mats they sell for floor mats, a ridge rest on top of that and a matteress topper, then the bag. With those the heater is not really needed, but is nice to get out of the bag by.

Just for coldness in a tent, 15 miles away from where I was camping, was Mt. Washington. The Grundig told me it was -80 there. In my tent it was by the weather station I keep, 71 degrees. A four dog wood stove in a 120 square foot tent.

The Buddy line of heater are good and you should be safe and warm in a tent to about the max 100 sq ft. Run a fan it helps too.

Comment

A small propane heater is okay in cool weather. In cold weather, say 25 degrees F to below zero F you need a wood stove. There is nothing like it and if you have not had the experience of sitting by the radiant heat of a wood stove after a day in the cold you don't know what you are missing.

Comment

i agree that the mr buddy is probably the most popular. i use the coleman sportcat and would also recommend it

Comment

The originator of this thread asked about winter camping, in Quebec. There is no propane heater that will do that job. Get a wood stove.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                The originator of this thread asked about winter camping, in Quebec. There is no propane heater that will do that job. Get a wood stove.
                I don't think that's a fair statement to make. Tent size, the type of tent, the heater output and, of course, the outside temperature are all factors that need to be considered. Also to be taken into account is that not everyone has a tent with a stovejack to accommodate the stove - or the willingness to spend the money for one.

I have a vintage Coleman propane catalytic heater that's served me very well, even in below zero weather. Mine is 10,000 BTU maximum, so I can easily imagine the Mr. Heater Big Buddy handling all but the lowest temperatures

Comment

I have a coleman "something or other" tent heater, I used it once while winter camping in Algonquin it was - 12. I found heating the air in my tent point less, the only time i spent in my tent was for sleeping, once you get inside your sleeping bag you wont feel the heat- just make sure you have a good sleeping bag.

Save the cost of the tent heater and the propane, and buy a decent cold weather sleeping bag. And maybe some of the hand and foot warmers- a few of them thrown in the bottom of your sleeping bag will help keep the chill off your feet in the cold Canadian winters...

Comment

Working...
                  X