Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moab - BLM camping along the CO river question...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moab - BLM camping along the CO river question...?

Hi,

I know there are several BLM camping sites along the CO River near Moab. I'm curious if any of them are close enough to any kind of rapids that you can actually hear them? I would love to hear the sound of moving water from the campsite. Doesn't need to be big rapids, just enough to make some noise... "splashy water" counts.

Some of the pictures I've seen make the river look pretty placid, but it can't hurt to ask!

Thanks!

Re: Moab - BLM camping along the CO river question...?

There is a lot of current near Moab, but not much in the way of rapids. Some people have paddled upstream from the confluence of the Green and CO Rivers.

Comment

Right on, that's kinda what I figured based on the pics I was looking at... Thanks for the info!

Comment

I believe there are some campgrounds along the river that are near enough to small rapids to be heard (there are 11 campgrounds along Hwy 128 - commonly known as the River Road). However, this time of the year, water is down so the noise level is too. I'll admit, as many times as I have been in these campgrounds (not camping, just driving through) I have never listened for any sounds of moving water. However, I just happen to know the head of the BLM recreation department who would know which campground to aim for that could have some running water sounds.

Comment

Two campgrounds. Big Bend is next to a small rapid and even this time of the year, should have the sound of running water. Best is to camp as close to the river as possible. This is also one the third busiest campground along the river. Lower Onion Creek may have some moving water sound this time of the year.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the tips... I'll check those sites out first when I get in the area. Appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
            X