Some General Thoughts about Tents and Stormworthiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some General Thoughts about Tents and Stormworthiness

OK, so I just got back from spending 10 days in N. Georgia (my old stomping grounds), and my experience with my new tent prompted me to share some thoughts. Now, this was a family camping trip. Whenever I take my wife with me, we have to pack the entire household into the back of the van, and she further requires a large tent in which to stow the household items. Now, heretofore, we had been using a "Hilary" or some such tent, which I purchased from some obscure source over the internet some years ago. The tent was never severely tested (we always had fair weather), but I retired it after a backyard campout involving several children...you get the picture. Oh, rain WAS involved. So, I decided a new tent was in order, as my wife likely would not like to share space in one of my solo backpacking tents, which is what I prefer to use. For those who are interested, backpacking tent #1 is a Kelty Crestone 1 double-wall tent, which I have actually tested in hurricane conditions (well, I was far enough inland that it was probably just a tropical storm) and it was proved bombproof. NO water inside, and wind stable. At 3 pounds, it OUGHT to be bombproof! Backpacking tent #1 is a Six Moon Designs Lunar+ solo, which is a single wall tent and weighs just 23 oz, plus has room for 1.5 people (two if they're really good friends). This tent has not been storm tested, but has held up in light rain.

Anyway, I thought a cabin tent would be really nice, and I settled on a Coleman Weathertech 6 with screen room (I forget exactly what the name is). Now, I knew that Coleman was not cut from the same cloth (heh, heh) as Kelty or SMD, but they had this "weatherproof guarantee"! So hey, what could go wrong? Plus, I chose this tent over other similar cabin-style tents based on buyer's reviews of the tents in question.

So, I didn't have time to proof the tent or even set it up before the tent. I also wasn't aware that Georgia has been having an unusually wet year. Anyway, me and me son get to the campsite and about the time we finish setting the tent up, it starts raining. So, we get into the vestibule/screen room to sit it out. So far, so good - for about 5 minutes. Then drops start dropping. So we move into the main tent. Another 5 minutes, and it is raining inside the tent. Not at the seams, but the fabric has wetted through! This was novel in my experience. So the storm eventually passes, and stuff inside the tent is all wet, and the one towel I brought does not even come close to soaking up all the water on the floor. So after cursing for a fool for believing the
    "guaranteed weatherproof" marketing ploy, I decide a tarp is in order. Whilst exiting the campground, I am noticing that ALL the other tents, and many of the pop-up campers, have tarps draped across/over them. Except for my son's, which is a Eureka Timberline 2 A-frame tent that can pretty much handle anything nature throws at it.

So I get the tarp, and it rains and storms most of the rest of the time, but it's OK because I am dry now. But I am thinking that this tent just isn't going to cut it. I would rather have a Kelty or Big Agnes or something that is really going to keep the rain out, even if it costs more. A lot more.

But, OK, aside from the fact that it wetted through, I really liked the tent. So I am looking at other tents after the trip, including Mountain Hardwear, and they all have their detractors. But I can fix my problem with a $20 tarp. Is it elegant? No - but it is cheap. And it works. Bottom line - I'm gonna keep the Coleman, accept it's limitations and do a workaround. Water repellent spray would help I'm sure, but I'm not gonna depend on it. I could buy a really NICE tent, shell out the $, and STILL be disappointed, or I can work with what I have, which is the choice I finally settled upon.

So, that's my rambling travelog, make of it what you will.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: Some General Thoughts about Tents and Stormworthiness

I think it's great that you found an inexpensive solution and are able to keep a tent you like!
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I don't tarp my tent. I do have a tarp for shade though. My "straw that broke the camels back" was that the Coleman Red Canyon would pancake when the wind blew. I spent a few days in Moab that way, then a storm in the rocky mountains with a pancaking tent. I spent the next storm in a friends Big Anges 6 man, that didn't pancake or leak and decided a new tent was in order, so that's how I ended up in the Kodiak. Now I am looking for a smaller, quick over night tent when its just me and my daughter.

As someone else said, The last trip was just practice for the next.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Ha Ha Ha Irate. Great post. Excellent writing style. I think most men could relate to your experience

Two things are obvious:

1). The Coleman rain fly is letting you down
        2). Now is the time to put the Coleman Weatherproof Guarantee to work for you. It was part of your decision making process when you bought the tent, put it to work for you

If you waterproof your tent with a good waterproofer (see related posts), you will spend at least $100 to fix a problem that should be fixed by Coleman and based on Coleman's reputation, I think they will honor their warrantee

Please do let us know how it goes

Comment

It's a silver tarp - I sprang for the big bucks! As for Coleman making it right - I'm sure that with enough prodding they will send me another leaking tent :-) Now, there was a thread about how certain mass marketers get a downgraded version of a mfs. product. I must admit that I got this tent for over $100 less than local retail by buying online from Walmart.com. As a former Home Depot employee, I can testify with absolute certainty that some mass merchants get an inferior grade of product. That's another story. I dunno if it's worth it to contact Coleman; what do you guys think?

Comment

P.S.: Call me "Irate". I'm not actually a Mormon.

Comment

Any decent tent properly pitched, will shed rain for days. It doesn't matter if it is nylon with a rain fly or canvas.

Comment

Well, I understand the sentiment, but I have to disagree here. Some tent designs are inherently more stormworthy than others. I guess the key word here is "decent". Now, a cabin tent presents a very flat profile from above, which is not conducive to shedding precipitation, whether solid or liquid. Despite knowing this, I did buy into the marketeer's propaganda, for which fact I am kicking myself (no, I don't need your help with the kicking).

Having said that, I should state for the record that I know how to do a proper pitch, as in "taut pitch". There is not a lot of variability with the Coleman, as there is with my SMD. The first tent requires one to rely on the gear; the second requires one to rely on technique. I should have known better than to place my faith in a mass-market solution. $20 solved the problem (technique, kind of), so I guess you could say I am satisfied now. More or less.

Comment

Working...
                X