Another tent recommendation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tent recommendation thread

Hello, I'm new here. We are in the market for a new tent, but it seems like the more I research and look, the less I know what I want. So I'm looking for a few recommendations.

A little background. We are a family of 5(2 adults, 3 kids), and we have an old tent that I picked up for next to nothing at a rummage sale a long time ago. Our current tent is large, roughly 8' x 18'. It has 4 doors and three rooms. I love the size. We can put two queen mattresses in it, plus have a ton of room for stuff. But the tent is really starting to show its age. Half the zippers don't work, has a few tears, etc. I was originally just planning on getting a cheapie at Target or Wal Mart. Then I figured if I'm going to spend money on something, I may as well spend more and get something that will last.

So here are a few features we're looking for in order of importance(I think).

1) Durable - I don't want the thing falling apart when I test it in the back yard.
    2) Large Size - We like having lots of space. Both square footage and height. I want to be able to stand up in it. We're not tall, I'm only 5'5". So looking at least an 8 man.
    3) At least 2 doors
    4) At least 2 rooms
    5) Price - No more than around $600

So in my researching, I stumbled across this web site.
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Campin...eviews/Ratings
    Their ratings seem to echo what I'm reading on this forum. And they have some pretty good info on each tent.

So my first gut feeling was to go with either the REI Kingdom 8, or the Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8. I was really leaning toward the Big Agnes. From what I've read and seen on you tube videos, it appears to be more rugged, and I love the way it appears to be hurricane proof with that rain flap installed.

But then I started looking at the Kodiak Canvas tents, mainly the 10 x 14
    http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/6014/

I LOVE the ruggedness of this one. But it's only one room, which again isn't a deal breaker. I'm thinking the only downside to these babies are the weight and packed size, which aren't that big of a deal to me. These appear to be very easy to setup as well.

So I think I have it narrowed down to those three, but I was just looking for some feedback. How about other brands I should consider?? I don't see much on here about Cabelas tents. This one looks very good and has very high reviews. Does anyone have experience with them? Looks like it has very good specs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...on/1571266.uts

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Another tent recommendation thread

Those look like great options!

For nice weather summer camping, I love the configuration of the REI tent. Being able to quickly raise or lower the rain fly or pull it back is a real plus on a nice day. Plus, the garage vestibule option is very cool.

If you like the Big Agnes style tent, you might also take a gander at the Marmot Capstone 6. It's a similar configuration and almost as large. Probably not quite as much storm resistance (pole configuration), but more mesh and maybe a little more open feeling inside. Personally, I also like that the room divider is completely removable.

The other thing you might want to consider (depending on how old your kids are) would be two tents rather than one. For example, if you wait for the 30% off winter sales, you could grab a Marmot Halo 6 for $400 and a Marmot Limelight 3P for $200. This gives you a lot of options -- parents in one tent, kids in the other, or any combination. Or a small tent for the kids to take when they go camping as teens. Or, if you and the wife ever get to go off for a weekend getaway.. Take whatever combo you need.

You could do to the same thing with two tents from any brand: REI, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, Kelty, etc. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of these options. It's really just a matter of figuring out how you will use it and what your priorities are. I like something that lets me get into the vestibule (kick my shoes off) and into the tent without having to crawl on my hands and knees every time! I'm also a big fan of ventilation with the fly on, so you don't end up with condensation soaking you at night...

Get on the mailing lists for all the big online retailers (Campmor, Moosejaw, BackCountry, REI, EMS, SunnySports, Sierra Trading Post, etc). I wasn't even planning to buy a tent when a 30% off all Marmot tents deal proved irresistable. I know REI has member deals with 20% off any one item.... Closeouts are also great for camping/hiking gear. Who cares if it's last year's model?

Comment

Thanks HWC. I like the looks of those Marmots, and I like your 2 tent idea. But you aren't making my decision any easier. REI has the Limestone 6 on sale for $329. Seems like a pretty good bargain.

Comment

Thanks Hogsnapper. We are headed up to St. Cloud today to do some shopping. There is a Scheels store and a Gander Mt. There is also a Cabelas store not too far from there, so we're going to check them out as well. We may not buy anything yet, but I'd like to see and feel some of these and hopefully get a little closer to making a decision.

Comment

So we made it to a few stores yesterday. Cabela's had the most on the floor. They had the Kodiak 12x9 Cabin tent setup with the awning and screen enclosure. A very impressive tent for sure. I especially like the floor material. But that tent is so heavy and it looks like it would take a couple hours to setup. Would be fine for long stays, but I don't think it's something I want for weekend trips. They also had one of the Cabelas 6 person Alaskan models setup. Very nice tent, excellent construction materials. But my wife really wants at least two rooms, so that one is out.

We also went to an REI store. Unfortunately they were out of all the Big Agnes Flying Diamonds, so I didn't get a chance to see one. But I talked with a couple of the employees (very helpful) and in talking with them, they agreed that the Flying Diamond 8 would be a great choice, so I'm still kind of leaning that direction.

Has anyone every heard of/ordered anything from these guys? They have some really great prices. Could get a Flying Diamond 8 with a footprint for less than normal price of everyone else. But that makes me a little leery.
          http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/4--person-tents.html

Then I stumbled across this North Face Mountain Manor 8 on sale at REI. Almost $200 off. Looks decent. I think this is exactly what my wife wants. Probably not as durable as the Big Agnes, but we are more fair weather campers anyway, so probably not a big deal. Still looks pretty water tight with that rainfly.
          http://www.rei.com/product/828135/th...n-manor-8-tent

Thanks again.

Comment

If you can afford $450 for a tent, you're in a price point that offers a lot of quality models from high-end manufacturers - and not just companies with names you recognize that contract out. NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, Sierra Designs, Big Agnes, Marmot, and EMS are other companies that offer similar tents with similar features: Anodized aluminum poles, at least 6 poles on a 4-man or larger tent, "vertical space" designs, waterproof bathtub floors, SwiftClip attaching points, color coded assembly points, full-coverage rainflies with guy-out vestibules, hub clusters for pole unions, etc. Once you settle on a number of requirements for your tent, include sites like Amazon and especially Ebay for your search. I've bought three tents in your price point for 60% off MSRP, all new-in-the-box. There are also a couple of canvas models that would work too, but they weight twice as much. Good hunting!
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Well after many hours of reading reviews, watching videos, and driving all over Minnesota to check out different stores, I ended up ordering the North Face Mountain Manor 8. I was going to order it from REI, but they were sold out. After a bit of searching I found that Backcountry.com had it for a couple dollars less. Most sites are selling for over $600, I got it for $447. Now I see one place today has it for about 20 bucks less, but no biggie there.

HogSnapper - Yes there isn't much for windows, but after a bit of investigation, I found that the entire top is mesh. Although it looks like it isn't in most pictures.

We narrowed it down to this one and the Flying Diamond 8. It came down to the floor layout and the dividers. From all the reviews I read, it should be a good tent. I'll let you know how it is once we get it and try it out. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Looks like a nice tent - I look forward to your report.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

You'll love it! The high/low venting and mesh top don't make sense now but they will later. Full coverage rain fly and vestibule, anodized aluminum poles, clear window in the outer vestibule, 2 doors, etc. - This is nearly the same design as our Bedouin 6. The high initial price will soon be forgotten, but not the performance that this level of quality delivers!
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

We love our new tent the NOVA 12 PERSON FAMILY CAMPING DOME TENT. We are a family of four (me, dh, 8 & 12 year old boys). Each son has his own pod and hubby and I share a pod. The middle section holds a table, chairs, and potty. We have used the tent twice this summer and both times it rained -- HARD. Both times we were dry and comfortable. The tent (in 4 sections) goes up and comes down easily. The biggest negative is that is does take up a lot of space in our SUV.

Last edited by luv2scrapinva; 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Well we took the new tent out this weekend. Overall I like it. It's not quite as big as our old tent, but that's ok, it's still plenty big. We can fit a queen air mattress on each end and still have plenty of space in the middle for stuff. Ventilation is not a problem at all. With the low vents on the ends and the entire top being mesh, air circulates very well. The quality of materials seems to be very good. Assembly took us a little while just because it was new to us, probably a half hour. But I know it will go much quicker next time, since we now know how everything goes together. We didn't test it out at home first due to lack of time. The UPS guy dropped it off and as soon as I got off work, off we went.

Here's my one problem(maybe it's not a problem, I don't know). When disassembling the tent, I noticed that two sections of one of the main poles(that go over the top) now have an arc to them. Is normal for aluminum poles? We were very careful putting it up and taking it down, and there were no abnormal circumstances (high winds, etc.) that would have caused this. So I'm wondering if we screwed something up, the pole was defective, or if the poles will just take on that shape with time. I'm a little bummed right now because I'm thinking this isn't right. After spending that much money on it, the thing should do that after the first time.

Here's picture. You can see that the first two sections right after the plastic block have an arc. And obviously the other pole is still straight. Any thoughts?

Comment

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't worry about the pole. These long, long, long arc'd tent poles seem to take on the shape of the curve. Can't see why that would be a problem as long as you don't have kinks or actual bends that would weaken the pole. They are so long and thin, laid out on the ground, that they are almost like a piece of cooked spaghetti until you assemble them into the tent structure. Even my 4-man Marmot Halo 4 poles take on a bit of a curve and they are no where near as long as a 6 or 8 man dome tent.

Comment

Most tents I have owned with aluminum poles and a dome shape will set the poles in an arc over time. It should not be a problem. When you put the tent up the poles will rotate to conform to the tent shape, if that makes any sense. Fiberglass poles don’t seem to develop an arc to them, but they are heaver and might not be as strong. One thing you might do is to wipe down the joints as you take the poles apart, dirt can cause them to stick together.
                          I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

Thanks for the replies and information. I also sent North Face a message. We'll see what they say. One set of poles came pre-bent, so it's probably not an issue.

Comment

Another option for a group is a couple of smaller tents. Mom and Dad can have their privacy and the kids learn some independence.

Comment

Working...
                              X