Gravel tent pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravel tent pads

How do you tent camp for a week on a gravel tent pad? I was planning a trip to thr Hoosier National Forest until I discovered tents have to pe set up on gravel. We car camp with a dog. I can't imagine a relaxing week on a gravel site so we have decided to just drive to the area and hope to find a acceptable site. I am hoping the state forest will be a better option.

Any tips? Rugs are out of the question, we do not have room to take a lot of stuff.

Re: Gravel tent pads

I'm sure it will be fine. In this context, gravel probably means "relatively smooth, hard dirt". Here's a photo from the National Forest on camping in that park:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5360727.jpg

I find that just a small pad or towel inside the door, where I'm kneeling down on a knee coming and out of the tent helps a lot -- but I don't have a "walk-in" tent.

Comment

Since its a tent site,
      Probably fine gravel, shouldn't be a problem,
      Bring an extra bllanket to use inside the tent,
      And make sure you have lots of good spikes,
      Large plastice spikes might be tough to use on gravel site.

Comment

Gravel tent pads are common here. The good news is that they drain pretty well if it rains. The bad news is that they are hard on the bottom of your tent and they are miserable to kneel on.

I have worn holes in the floor of tent due to gravel tent pads. If you bring things with rigid legs like chairs or tables or cots into the tent, they will have a better than usual chance of wearing a hole in the tent floor if there is gravel underneath.

Make sure you have a tarp under your tent. This will help prevent wear. I never brought carpets either, BTW. You'll be OK.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'm sure we will find somewhere we will enjoy. This will be the first trip with DH that we will just be camping and hiking with no site seeing. It took me 20 years to get him to camp and I am always worried something will go wrong. Once I get him to the campground and setup he really enjoys it. He hates setting up and tearing down.

Comment

Ditto on the drainage advantage. Most of your state parks will have gravel tent pads, but it's fine gravel, not rip-rap or something like that.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

It takes about half an hour to set up and an hour to pack up. We probably take too much. I'm used to dispersed camping, but he wanted more comfort. We take a screen tent and canopy that rarely gets used, the canopy for rain and the screen tent if the mosquitos are bad. Tent, action packer we use for a chuck box, stove , sleeping gear, dog stuff a couple roll up tables, and couple chairs, coolers. The real problem is not being organized in packing and unpacking. We have a small car and I usually pack it. DH just starts unloading with no order or loading without out thinking how it all fits in our small car, then we have to move stuff around. Worse for this up coming trip is a brand new car. I am going to try packing it before we go and take pictures with my cell. I also want to make a plan for setup and tear down to end the frustration. In his defense he has only really camped maybe 10 times and is not comfortable with the process. He really enjoys camping once we are there and everything is done. Any suggestions?

Comment

I've given some thought to organization and got most everything stored and hauled in several duffel bags. One bag has tent, Kelty tarp, and kelty air mattress. That is the last thing in the back of the trunk... first out to set up the tarp and tent.

Two duffles have bedding -- sleeping bags, fleeces, bag liners, etc. Will used whatever is appropriate for the temperature and conditions.

One duffel has stove, coffee maker, propane cannister, pots and pans, paper towels, etc.

One duffel has clothes, shoes, etc.

One Kelty Binto bag has food, trash bags, utensils, and miscellaneous stuff.

When I pack up, everything goes back into it's proper duffel. When I get home, it gets tided up, dried, shaken out as necessary, and neatly back into the duffels for storage. Basically the next trip is just line up the duffels, restock as necessary, and load them cin the the car. I'm going camping tomorrow and the only things left to load in the car are my clothes duffel, my cooler, and my hiking backpack.

Comment

Working...
                X