sleeping pad combo for colder weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping pad combo for colder weather

I have an Exped Synmat UL700 air mattress that I generally love, but last fall when the temps dipped to around 40 degrees F, I got cold, even in my Mountain Hardwear women's 20-degree Switch mummy bag while wearing fresh fleece pajamas, acrylic hiking socks, fleece cap, and fleece scarf. I was significantly more comfortable when I added blankets beneath and atop the pad, but adding blankets is not a good solution for most campouts to which I do not want to lug my duffle and several stuff-sacks full of bedding.

Today I picked up a cheap Therm-A-Rest Discovery Series Explorer self-inflating foam pad at a thrift store to supplement the Synmat. I do not know its R value. The Exped Synmat has an R value of 3.1. Would I be warmer placing the Therm-A-Rest beneath the Synmat, or atop it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: sleeping pad combo for colder weather

Place the pad with the lowest R-value on the bottom. I'd consider a fleece liner for your sleeping bag unless you can afford an upgrade to a model rated for colder weather. The Explorer 1.5" thick models I found listed had a 4.7 R-Value.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Try wearing a hat.

Comment

We use thermarest z pads under our Trail Pro pads. If it is going to be 45 or below, I also wear silk long underwear, a satin sleep cap under a wool beanie (natural curly hair), and a pair of oversized wool socks. I use a sheet and my sleeping bag as a blanket. I keep very warm. I only get cold if my beanie comes off.

Comment

Thanks for your input, everyone. I also found this thread elsewhere that I thought I'd link to, in case anyone comes here looking for the same kind of information: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=26033

Comment

Working...
          X