Tent guyline tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent guyline tips

As I was googling around looking for tips on tent guylines, I came across this video from the Hilleburg tent folk. Pretty good ideas including some I hadn't thought of. :

They also have a good one on various tricks for hanging a tarp:

Re: Tent guyline tips

Oops. Where is the link?

Comment

and the best tip, set up camp above tide line....
      When I am setting up my cheapo tarp for shade, I will take a 10' piece of paracord and tie it around a rock. I will leave that cord tied around the rock and make a "rock tail". I will then attach the tarp guy line to the "rock tail" using a square knot. I will then throw the rock over a high tree branch. The purpose of the "rock tail" is so you don't have to keep tying each different guy line around a rock.
      Also, I like to use a toggle as much as possible. When setting up the cheapo tarp, and I want to run a cord all way down the length of the tarp, I will use a toggle at each grommet. Really easy, you just make a loop, send the loop through the grommet and put a small stick (twig) through the loop and pull it tight. I set up a 16x20 tarp up for shade when car camping, and it is about 8-10' off the ground. When setting up the tarp, I use a taut line hitch and a bowline. Bowline on tarp end and taut line around the peg.
      When I am setting a tarp up using a ridgeline, ie hammock camping, I will use prusik knot to attach other lines to my ridge line. Things like my under quilt, flash light or small latern.
      I like how the link showed to use a tail when tying knots to make them come out easier. Hopefully I remember that tip. I personally think tarps are one of the most under rated pieces of gear. They are very versatile.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Oops. Where is the link?
        Got smartphone:D?

Here ya go:

http://youtu.be/NxxKNrMziUo

http://youtu.be/_YDuvbSPCOc

HTH!
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

One thing that video made me consider is using the tautline hitch or line adjuster at the tent end of the guy line and attaching the other end with a bowline loop over the tent stake.

It puts all of the tension adjustment points near the tent attachments where you can just walk around the tent and adjust them (standing up), rather than go find all the far ends in the dirt.

I thought the way they used a clove hitch to put a loop of guyline over a peg was a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            Got smartphone:D?

Here ya go:

http://youtu.be/NxxKNrMziUo

http://youtu.be/_YDuvbSPCOc

HTH!

Ha ha. yup. That was it. Smartphone.

Comment

I remember those knots, it was the 20th century don't ya' know! These inventions replaced the old 1" tabs that had a hole in one end and an open notch in the other. While more expensive, who wants to job out the metalwork for the old tabs - both do the same job, but the new stuff is so much more sexy! :p

Last edited by tplife; 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've got a few of those NiteIze doo-hickeys that came with my Kelty tarp. But, I'm too old and befuddled to remember how to use them! I'm better off just prepping the tent with the right number of guylines, each with an adjuster. Always on the tent. Ready to go. Just slip the loose end over a stake and slide the adjuster. I've been using the MSR reflective paracord with their round aluminum adjusters.

In fact, I've spent the last two evenings setting up the guy lines on my new 4-season tent. Got it set up in the basement, so I can measure and cut line to fit.

I've been doing some of this style. It allows you to connect to two guy points with a single stake. The two guy points connnect to an o-ring that can slide. The o-ring connects with a regular guy line to the stake. The o-ring automatically slides to accomodate different angles and you can tension the whole thing with a single adjuster.

Comment

Just wondering what these o-rings you are using?
                  Thanks
                  Jack

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                  I've got a few of those NiteIze doo-hickeys that came with my Kelty tarp. But, I'm too old and befuddled to remember how to use them! I'm better off just prepping the tent with the right number of guylines, each with an adjuster. Always on the tent. Ready to go. Just slip the loose end over a stake and slide the adjuster. I've been using the MSR reflective paracord with their round aluminum adjusters.

In fact, I've spent the last two evenings setting up the guy lines on my new 4-season tent. Got it set up in the basement, so I can measure and cut line to fit.

I've been doing some of this style. It allows you to connect to two guy points with a single stake. The two guy points connnect to an o-ring that can slide. The o-ring connects with a regular guy line to the stake. The o-ring automatically slides to accomodate different angles and you can tension the whole thing with a single adjuster.

Thrift store tent
                  Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

I'll admit that every year I gotta do a youtube review for knotcraft before hitting the road......my brain just doesn't retain some stuff used infrequently anymore.

Still using 20th century Niteize generation guyline adjusters and they've served me well. Which reminds me it's time to set a reminder in my phone to watch the vids again, LOL.

Oh and let me not leave w/o telling hw what a luverly job was done guylining that tent for all eventualities! :glasses:
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-09-2016, 01:02 PM.
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Being a penurious traditionalist; after the plastic "hardware" tensioners break/get lost, I use use a taught line hitch with a couple of extra loops around the line (kind of a half prussic) for tensioning.

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yeah, HJ, that's what I do. Simple and effective.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I got these bar tensioners (which I haven't used yet, but will soon):

http://lawsonequipment.com/Bar-Tensioner-c151/

They will never break like the plastic ones, although like any small gizmo they could get lost. I don't think I could reliably remember knots.

Comment

Somewhat on topic up until last year I used paracord, 2 gardening crooks, 2 marble beads and tensioners to make a clothing line for towels and bathing suits (we camp by the ocean w/ the kiddos and park policy is to attach no rope to the trees). This year I will no longer fix it after kiddos run into it during the latest game of tag and will buy a foldable drying rack near the campground. If it doesn't fit into the car for the trip back home so be it. Some worthy family coming in will rejoice at the acquisition.
                            2017:

Comment

This is how I make clotheslines out of paracord. Strung between two trees with nothing to break.

Comment

Working...
                              X