getting outfitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting outfitted

I'm looking to get completely set for camping by tent in Montana.I'm looking into tent,heater,cot,and lighting.If anyone has any suggestions I open to them.Thanks for reading and hope to be able to talk with alot of you eventually.

Re: getting outfitted

I would just watch the ads for Cabelas, Gander Mountain, or whatever other sporting good chains are nearby. Also watch Target and Walmart. I would look throught he forum topics on different items and try and narrow down what features you are looking for.

Since you are new to tent camping, you may want to go with some cheaper items and see what you like and don't like about them and then upgrade once you know what is important to you. I have 2 tents, and I'm not really happy with either of them. I bought a heater 3 years ago and have yet to use it.

I use an air mattress, but have looked at cots off and on. The cots at Cabelas have a pretty good reputation. I've never slept on a cot, so thats the main reason I haven't invested in one.

Comment

@redemier, Huricanelane ideas are great about checking for ads on the major outdoor retailer. One little caveat, it's a great idea to pay less for your camping equipment, but don't buy cheap equipment. We made the mistake of buying a Target brand tent that fell apart before we had it set up. We also bought cheap sleeping bags at Walmart for the kids and they were miserable.

Spend good money on your sleeping gear. If you want to stay warm, you need good insulation under your bodies. We use both a self inflating REI campbeds for the kids and insulated Nemo Cosmo air mattresses for me and the wife. Both keep everyone warm and comfortable.

If you live near a big city I would check your local Craigslist. We have found a lot of items for cheap such Coleman stoves and lanterns.

While cots can be very comfortable, if the weather gets cold, so will you.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Cabela's Ultimate Alakna Tent 12' x 20' with a stove made and sold by Four Dog Stove. It will keep the tent warm (70 degrees F) in cold temp's. This is a large tent and I will add a pic for you to see it. They do sell a 12' X12' that you can put a stove into also. I have a Cabela’s Outfitter XL Cot with the 3 inch foam mat for it and used it in temps down in the teens (F) and was sweating in my sleeping bag. For lighting I use a Coleman propane lanterns, a battery powered lantern, and flashlights. Cabela's have metal hooks that attach to the metal polls inside the tent so you can hang the lanterns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0987.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	69842

Comment

Nickadeamus, Your tent is dabomb! One could live in a tent like this. Post some photos of the inside.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice.Nice set-up Nickadeamus.I'm leaning towards a 10x14 kodiak flex bow,and a cabelas guide cot so far.I don't believe I've read a bad thing about the tent yet.I'll definatly be watching the sales for extras.Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Those big heavy tents are great for permanent camps or temporary storage, but a nightmare for frequent campers. Compare them to quality polyester/nylon tents that are half the weight, fiber reinforced and less dark inside besides being almost impossible to aquire mold or mildew damage. A good 6-man tent need not weigh 50 pounds.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'm still holding onto my nylon tents for warmer weather but, for cold weather, I'm sold on canvas. It's been years since I had a canvas cabin tent, but I'm definitely looking forward to our next trip in a couple of weeks. Back in my 20's I had a big heavy Coleman and, with a heater inside, it stayed nice and warm. My nylon tents didn't seem to hold the heat as well.

As far as the Kodiaks go, I gotta say, for their size, they're about the easiest tents to set up that I've ever had. The hardest part is pegging 'em down. After that, it's a breeze.

Comment

MacGyver, If I had the room and the time to stay in one place for an extended period, a canvas tent cabin would be the way to roll. My family likes to move around every few days. My REI Base Camp 4 weighs about 16 pounds and we complain that it's too heavy and bulky to set up, take down, and dry. I am still the equipment guy for the family and have all the say about equipment. The big tent is here to stay for us.
                  sigpic

Comment

Craigslist. Yard Sales. I recently started to watch online estate auctions, you bid on items at a local estate sale online and pick them up in person. :cool:
                    sigpic

Comment

My tent only takes what like 15 to 20 min. for 2 people to set up and with the poles, tent and stakes it comes in at 100 lb. Much less that a caves tent this size. It also stays warm with a wood stove. I use it as base camp for all types of stuff like day hikes, fishing, and hunting. I can't sleep on the ground so hiking in and camping in a small tent, sleeping on the ground is out for me. But I can put a day pack on, hike all day then come back to base camp and have a good nights sleep. Paying for fuel to heat my tent is out also, wood is free around here. I use a chain saw for this.

I don't have any pic's with the wood stove inside the tent but here are three (without the stove)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120321_172630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	69843Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0536.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	69844Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120321_172625.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	69845

Comment

I'm thinkin the Kodiak because usually when I get to Montana the weather is not that warm yet.I go late may early june.And later in september.I like the pics,looks comfortable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickadeamus View Post
                          I don't have any pic's with the wood stove inside the tent but here are three (without the stove)
                          Man - that's not a tent - that's a freakin' portable hotel room. I wouldn't be surprised if you pushed the dessert cart outside to take those pictures!

Comment

I really like your set up. How much does the table weigh? I want to carry a lightweight aluminum table for dispersed camping.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just came back from my first outing with the Kodiak and I am sold! We had night time temps in the single digits and the tent, with a Big Buddy heater, stayed a toasty 70-75°F all weekend. While everyone else slept bundled up in their clothes inside their mummy bags, I slept under a blanket in a T-shirt and hospital scrub pants. In the morning, when we were out making breakfast, I closed up all the windows (leaving the vents open) and left the heater on high for a while. That jumped the temperature to 94°F which tells me that the tent/heater combo would easily take me through below zero temps. I imagine having a cot made quite a difference, too. The floor under it was noticeably colder than anything higher up in the tent.

Comment

Working...
                              X