Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kodiak tent owners? ...also thoughts on the Marmot Halo 6p...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak tent owners? ...also thoughts on the Marmot Halo 6p...

Hi everyone
    I have been a camper for several years, so I'm not new to camping, but this is my first time posting on this forum.
    Last spring, I parted ways with my old Pop Up camper. I loved camping with it, but it was getting to the point that it needed some major work to keep going (I gave it to a friend with some handy sons that wanted a project). While I would love to have another PU ~ it just wasn't practical with where I'd like to go with my camping (which is to camp with my horse (s) ). I need the truck for a horse trailer (not mention many sites for horse camping here allow only one trailer per site). Sooo...its back to tent camping for me. Aside from the PU, I'm a pretty basic camper (the PU was just for sleeping), so I think the transition for me will be fine.
    Over the past couple weeks, I have been looking at a variety of tents. My big 'wants' are...tall enough to stand in (I'm 5'11), durable in a strong T-storm (I've camped in enough of those with the PU to know that I don't want a cheapie, flatten in the wind tent), and large enough for me, my dog (55lbs), and possibly another family member (I go on non-horse trips with my family as well. My mom has a TT).
    I like both the Marmot Halo 6p & Kodiak Canvas Springbars (particularly the small 4 person model).
    From what I have read, there are quite a few Kodiak owners here, so I'm hoping you can help me with some questions on that tent (because I am leaning more in that direction. I like canvas!)
    First off, while I am not deterred by weight, I would honestly like to know how hard this tent is to work with if you have to leave a wet campsite (in which case I would set it back up to dry upon getting home - just like I did with the camper). Is it difficult to transport wet (especially if I am using my car for a family outing). What does everyone else do if they must leave a campsite in the rain?
    I also read a few reviews where folks had troubles with the springbar breaking? I'm curious to know more about this....How is the company to work with/what did they do/how fast were you able to be able to use the tent again?
    ....and lastly....I've heard raving reviews of the Kodiak in cold weather. How does it do in hot? I am a solid 3 season camper, camping in temps ranging from 35-100F. I'd like to know how it compares to other tents in hot weather.
    Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts & experiences!
    I will also add that I haven't completely ruled out a Marmot Halo....so would love to hear experiences with that tent also (as well as any other suggestions that fight fit my needs). Thank you!
Working...
X