Re treating old tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re treating old tent

I'm going to retreat(re-waterproof) a 15 year old tent this spring. It's constructed of 190T nylon taffeta for the walls. It has a 1,500mm waterproof-rated polyurethane coating. Can someone recommend a good product for this? Are there any pointers I need to know before I do this? Thanks

Re: Re treating old tent

I've had good luck treating tents with Kiwi Camp Dry. Here's the link of what I've found that works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heav...=kiwi+camp+dry

I've used a couple of different seam sealers - and have been pleased with both that I've used. I tend to overapply on the seams - and I've had good luck.

Hope this helps - or at least bumps this up to the top so that hopefully others can chime in too.
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Brush on applications tend to work better than spray because the application is more complete with brush on

I have used Star Brite fabric waterproofing with excellent success

Often, waterproofing an old tent will cost almost as much as buying a new tent, so do the math before you embark on folly

There are a couple previous threads on this forum that talk about tent waterproofing. Be sure to check those out too for more info
      Last edited by Mike; 05-04-2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Brush on applications tend to work better than spray because the application is more complete with brush on

I have used Star Brite fabric waterproofing with excellent success

Often, waterproofing an old tent will cost almost as much as buying a new tent, so do the math before you embark on folly

There are a couple previous threads on this forum that talk about tent waterproofing. Be sure to check those out too for more info
        Agreed. Also check the tent's body and particularly the fly for UV damage. That can also let you know if it's worth it to undertake the waterproofing project.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-04-2014, 05:04 AM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Use Permatex or VersaChem flowable silicone. Its sold in auto-parts stores to seal windshields. Another option is mixing clear silicone with mineral spirits making it brush able. Only mix a little bit at a time it drys and balls up.

This is a decent way to patch a tear also. You can decoupage a non fraying material on the tent. Effectively glue it down let it dry then seal over with fresh.

Comment

Working...
          X