Camping with electrical outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with electrical outlets

I have always wondered about the safety of car camping with electrical outlets. I plan on getting a 30amp to 15amp adapter. What would your recommendation be on types of extension cords and surge protectors to bring? I want to have the safest electrical rig for my tent without breaking the bank. Also do all sites have the 30amp and 50amp or do some only have the 50amp? Should I buy a 50amp to 15amp adapter too or will the 30amp to 15 amp be enough? Thanks for any help.

Re: Camping with electrical outlets

I'd suggest calling up whatever campground you plan on going to and ask what connections are available on their connection pedestals (aka hookups). Many have 20 amp sockets which just require a standard electrical cord (outdoor in good condition, of course) and a standard surge protector. Last time we went camping we used that to keep our phones charged. Was going to hook up a ceramic heater if we needed it, but was too warm for that. Now I think about it, could also have ran a fan and lights. It was the first time I'd booked a site with electricity. Darn! Oh well, maybe next time.

Comment

Campgrounds will differ on what they offer: 15, 30 OR 50 amp only (just one), 30 and 15 amp, 50 and 30 amp, 50 and 15 amp, 50 and 30 and 15 amp. Having a setup that's the safest for all 3 possibilities might be more money than you want to spend.

Do you have campgrounds in particular you're looking at? If so, I'd check and see what they offer and then go with the best setup for the most common possibility. If you can afford more, then add what you need for the 2nd most common possibility. Anything that doesn't fit into your affordable setup, then just go powerless until you can add on to your setup (if needed or desired).

Don't look at RV info to determine the best setup. RVs have breakers, converters, etc. that make the setup different (what is safe to do with an RV hookup is not necessarily safe to do with a direct hookup to the appliances).
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. Where can you find a converter for a 30 amp hookup?

Comment

You can find adapters on Amazon. Look for a 30 amp male to 15 amp female adapter.

Comment

Working...
          X