Need Help Deciding On A Kodiak Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Deciding On A Kodiak Tent

My husband and I have been researching tents and we really like the Kodiak. We like number 6133 the 9 x 12 that you can add the wall enclosure. It is just the two of us but we like to have lots of room and some friends may want to go with us from time to time. The thing we keep asking ourselves is we wonder if it is to big. We live in Alabama and have mainly State Parks close by to camp in where we are located. Most have tent pads and I don't think they are large enough for this size tent. What would you do in this case. The primitive sites are nice but most of them you have to park and walk a distance and with a heavy canvas tent that is not a option. Also is it hard to set up. We have looked on youtube and the internet and hoped to see it being put up with the wall enclosure but we could not find anything. Found one that was already put up and a guy gave a walk-thru which was nice but not one actually being filmed as it was assembled. If anyone can offer their opinion that would be great especially if you own this setup. It looks like a sturdy tent and would last for years if taken care of so we are excited about it but are a little concerned about the size. Look forward to your views,

Re: Need Help Deciding On A Kodiak Tent

10x10 is about as big as I'd go here in GA. I'd call the parks you intend to visit and ask the dimensions of the tent pads.

Comment

Kodiak makes some seriously sturdy tents. I think you'd both enjoy the 6133. It uses a very common frame configuration for cabin tents. So it really surprised me that I couldn't find any video for any tent with that kind of frame. With two people, they're easy to set up. See if this makes sense.

After laying out the tent and pegging it down, continue by running the ridge and eave poles through their respective sleeves/loops. Attach all the upright poles, laying them down parallel to the front and back of the tent. Then, with one person in the front, one in the back, you both raise the ridge with the center poles. With that standing, you move to either eave pole and do the same thing, angling the poles in enough to push the side walls out. (When I had that style tent, I used to dig a very slight depression at the foot of all the uprights to help keep them from slipping in windy weather.) Then you both do the other side. For that particular Kodiak you then have to raise the center pole for the awning. One person can hold it upright while the other stakes out the ends to keep it upright. You're done.

All of that might sound complicated if you've never set one up before. But, like a lot that goes with camping, there's a learning curve and a lot of trial and error. Just about everything gets easier with time and practice. And practice is a good idea before you actually go out in the woods. Try setting it up and breaking down a few times in your yard. It might surprise you how quickly you'll pick it up.

Comment

One of the old mods (Reno desert fox) had one. I guess he was disabled and his wife primarily did the setup. Seemed like it wasn't to hard from the way he talked. As far as the tent pad size, I would call your places and see what the tent pad size is. Then if the main body of the tent fits, let the screen room hand over.

If you want to see the setup in action call Kodiak and see if they can help. I have called them and they seem to be good people.
        One other thing. I will reserve a regular site and set my Kodiak up there. The tent sites are a lot like yours, you have to walk a way to the tent site. Not just inconvenient for a Kodiak, but for everything.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We seriously considered Kodiak and Springbar tents when we were shopping last year. We looked at this same tent (Cabelas had one set up with the full awning and it was quite impressive,, although it may have been the 10 X14). Weight was a bit of a concern for us but not the deciding factor, but since they break it up into two bags it may not be as bad as it first seems when you see the weights listed for these things.

We ended up getting a different tent that was a bit bigger, and my wife really wanted one that had dividers so we could separate the inside into three rooms, so I don't have any first hand experience with the canvas tent. The awning looks like it would be cumbersome and possibly a pain to setup. If you go for extended camping trips where you are setup for a week at a time, it would probably be fine. But for quick weekend trips, I don't know if it would be worth it.

I still want a canvas tent. For some reason they really appeal to me. I like rugged well built stuff I guess. So once the kids grow up and it's just my wife and I, I might get a smaller one. I'll probably go with a Springbar over a Kodiak. I'm at the point in my life where I'm willing to pay a bit more for USA built goods rather than get Chinese for less. But I believe quality between the two is very comparable.

Good luck in your hunt!

Comment

setup video for 6133
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXa5dZB-4p0

I really don't like the video, as a guy just took pictures and narrated. I like the actual video of setup.
            Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 08-06-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Here is one that shows it being taken down. It looks like you would need to set it up in the yard, before your camping trip to make sure you knew what you were doing. Plus you would want to wet it down to shrink the canvas anyways. By the 3rd time, I bet you would have it whipped.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knYAJxFWI-A

Comment

I found a video showing a guy setting it up by himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9yezdjNsc

Man, one of these days I will seriously consider one of these...or the Springbar. Haven't researched enough...no need to...yet.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  I found a video showing a guy setting it up by himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9yezdjNsc

Man, one of these days I will seriously consider one of these...or the Springbar. Haven't researched enough...no need to...yet.

That is a different tent than the OP was looking at. I have the one you linked to. It is a bowflex (springbar) type design. I set that one up by myself. The one the OP is looking at has a extra big awning and you can add a screen room to it. It is a Kodiak Cabin Tent.

BTW, Where are you located? I am from North Vernon, IN. Just east of Seymour and south of Columbus.

Comment

I think a canvas tent would really be awesome for an extended trip or consistent bad weather.
                    Not sure if I think it's all that and a piece of cake for weekend tripping.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      That is a different tent than the OP was looking at. I have the one you linked to. It is a bowflex (springbar) type design. I set that one up by myself. The one the OP is looking at has a extra big awning and you can add a screen room to it. It is a Kodiak Cabin Tent.

BTW, Where are you located? I am from North Vernon, IN. Just east of Seymour and south of Columbus.
                      Oops...told you I hadn't done much research on canvas tents...nothing like displaying said lack of knowledge. lol

I am in Noblesville. Familiar with where North Vernon is...spend much of our camping time in Southern IN. It's where the hills, trees, and caves are located in our fine state.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        I think a canvas tent would really be awesome for an extended trip or consistent bad weather.
                        Not sure if I think it's all that and a piece of cake for weekend tripping.
                        The problem that I have is that I live in Arizona. It doesn't rain much and it is usually hotter than Hades, so canvas not only isn't needed here but would be counter productive.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          Oops...told you I hadn't done much research on canvas tents...nothing like displaying said lack of knowledge. lol

I am in Noblesville. Familiar with where North Vernon is...spend much of our camping time in Southern IN. It's where the hills, trees, and caves are located in our fine state.

We are all here to learn. It is amazing how much different the state is up north than the Ohio River Valley. As an army buddy who drove through the state on the way home said, there sure is a lot of corn and soybean.

Comment

I can't speak personally as to how hard it is to set up. But, I don't think the size will be a problem. I live in GA, and have tent camped in quite a few state parks in GA, AL, and SC. Never have had a problem finding space to set up my old 12 x 12. Of course, the parks I camp at are configured for RVs. I'm usually the only tent there. But, these sites are the only ones that have electricity, and I need that to charge my trolling motor battery.

Comment

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. We are getting very excited about going camping. It has been many years since I have been and I can't wait. Also excited about this tent. I think we are going to go ahead and get it. The more we research it the more we like it. Love the windows in it and the room. Had a old customer stop by my office today and he is a big camper and I told him about the tent and he was impressed. Said he knew about them and they were really good tents. He has just bought a small pop-up and goes camping all the time but he is retired. We just sold a small Scamp trailer. Loved it but it was just to small for us and we really like tent camping and didn't want to have to worry about pulling a trailer. We like to keep it simple. Love reading the posts on this forum. I am learning alot. Does anyone know what happened to the guy that was posting on here alot that had a Kodiak tent and his wife put it up because he was disabled I think. They seemed so nice and I loved reading his posts and I see he has not posted in a long time. I hope they are ok. Thanks again to everyone that has posted. We appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X