New here and just got a Springbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and just got a Springbar

Wanted to introduce myself and ask some general questions. I did a lot of research (some of which came from this site) on tents. I was first looking at nylon tents, but my wife indicated a desire for not being wet...whether rain related or general condensation. So that got me looking into canvas tents.

I really wanted to buy American but was very tempted by the Kodiak tents. But ultimately I decided I wanted the Springbar. I got the Traveler 5 for my wife and 2 kids. The cost was very high compared to the basic Kodiak. In fact I could probably have bought two of the basic Kodiaks for the same price as the Springbar shipped. Yikes. That made for a very tough choice but ultimately I think I will like the tent I got. From my research it seemed that either one was a good choice. Springbar followers noted things they thought were better...and kodiak followers the same. Both acknowledging both tents were good. I wish there would have been some independant reviews of both.

One thing that kind of worries me, though I guess it's not a likely scenario, is someone stealing the tent when I am off fishing or something. Is this something I should worry about? I think I may use my cheap 4 man tent if I am only going with a friend fishing...and I will not be around the tent much. But that's kind of shame to not utlize the tent because of fear of it being taken.

I don't have a whole lot of experience tent camping. My family had a pop-up camper and that's primarily the type of camping I've done in the past. Costs for dealing with a pop-up...and staying at places (seem to be around $30-40 now...think it was $10 when I was younger 20 years ago) made me think a tent was a better way to go. However, my wife is not exactly a huge camping enthusiast so I figured the canvas tent would be more comfortable for her.

Let me know if you have any other tips for tent camping or any suggested books. My kids are 6 and 3, so that could make for some challenges. I'm hoping it will help us bond as a family like it did for me when I was younger.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: New here and just got a Springbar

Camping books - the best kind are the ones you write as you go :-) I've never heard of a tent being stolen, but I supose it has happened to somebody on this forum. I tend to worry more about taking a nice guitar - most thugs recognize that guitars have some cash value. Problem is, life is too short to play a bad guitar...so far, so good. Just don't leave the goodies out where anybody walking around can see them and covet them (like that cooler you thought would be the ULTIMATE camping statement).
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I wouldnt be too concerned over theft of a canvas tent
      They are heavy and not easiest thing to steal
      My flexbow weighs 76 lbs
      Theives most likely will target smaller items that they can snatch and run

Comment

Welcome Golgo13!!! Can't blame your wife, many moons ago (a little Indian lingo here) single-wall nylon tents had moisture issues, as much due to denier thickness as to fly designs. Polyester/nylon tents of high quality have dual-wall designs with superior wind/rain integrity over most canvas tents (because there are few variables in canvas designs). We have all goose-down sleeping gear, so keeping dry is important. That said, you did well AFA canvas quality. A little extra work for maintenance will not let you down with canvas...CANVAK.
        Last edited by tplife; 03-13-2015, 08:38 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I set my tent up in the yard yesterday and it's awesome! Such an easy tent to setup (did it by myself in 15 minutes). I did have to switch to a real mallet as the plastic cheap one I got didn't do anything. But I already had a good metal one that worked perfectly.

Some folks may find the Springbar or Kodiak a bit large or heavy, but to me it seems well worth it for car camping. I find it's a nice middle ground between a normal tent and a pop-up camper. Since the wife shut down the pop-up possibility I'm glad I went with this one.

I gave it a good soaking to season it...and no leaks at all. Once it was completely dry, take down was easy and I had no trouble getting it back in the bag (though I did have the wife help roll it up).

If money is an issue (or if you prefer it), I'm sure the Kodiak would be fine. It's very hard to tell from reviews which is better. It seems to be somewhat biased based on the user-base...with both admitting both are good. Either way I'm happy with mine.

I'm glad I got the ground cloth and door mat (mine came free with a promotion). If for nothing else it keeps the tent clean...but also gives it a bit of protection. The ground tarp they make is heavy duty and not just a regular tarp. Very nice actually. Door mat is also nice and I'd say well worth having.

Now just hoping the kids do well at a campground. For our first time out I'm planning on a place within an hour and a half (but still a good tent camping place).

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00335.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	69997

Comment

Working...
            X