Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first campout of 2015 - cold, muddy, and fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first campout of 2015 - cold, muddy, and fun!

Hey fellow campers:

I was finally able to get in my first campout of 2015 this last weekend. I joined my son on his first campout as a Boy Scout. This was a "new scout skills" campout so he had an opportunity to begin learning some valuable camping skills. There were over 50 kids and about 7 adult leaders and a couple of parents also camping.

In Indiana, our 8" snowfall from the prior week melted completely just before our trip. On top of that we received over 1 inch of rain the day before our campout. The result? Very soft ground! Made for easy push-in on tent stakes, also made for thick mud in certain spots.

Temps ranged from the upper 50's during the day to just below 32 at night/early morning.

Mud, cold...and scouting. Perfect conditions! We both had a blast. What fun!

The troop had just purchased new tents for the boys. Alps Mountaineering Taurus 4P with aluminum poles. 7'6 x 8'6" footprint, dual doors and vestibules. With only 2 boys per tent...plenty of space. Nice tents. Proud of my son and his friend, they listened to my advice on tent care and kept their tent pretty free of mud, which made the job of clean up easy.

I used my new UCO Mini Candle Lantern at night to help with condensation and provide a little heat in my tent.

Scout camping area (hard to get all the tents into one picture-there were over 25 tents set up in this area).

Closer shot of the Alp Mountaineering Tents. My son's is in the back corner (with the open vesty door). He selected a fairly dry spot on elevated ground, in the corner, overlooking a nice stream down below. He must have been paying attention to me all these years of camping together as a family.

The adults had a separate camping area across the road in the woods (far enough away from the Scouts, but close enough to be within range). I hiked back a little further and found a nice relatively dry spot to pitch my CloudPeak 4P that also had nice privacy. Heavy to lug very far, but it was worth it.

Just after wake up on the last morning and just before breaking camp. I should have told my son to leave his hat on for the picture like his Dad...hides the bedhead. lol

All in all, it was a nice time and I was happy to finally get out this year. Looking forward to more camp trips...the troop goes camping once a month. Next month, the campout will be held at the Subaru Manufacturing Factory in Lafayette, IN. In addition to camping out on the grounds of the plant, the boys will be taking a guided tour of the plant. Neat!

Thanks for taking a look! Hope your first camp trip 2015 is successful and fun.

Brian - a65hoosier
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-18-2015, 06:48 AM.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: My first campout of 2015 - cold, muddy, and fun!

Well... I'm glad someone had a good outing. I'm a snow junkie and, since the people in my gang seem to be getting old (funny since I'm the oldest one in the bunch), I had to go out on my own a couple of weeks ago to try to get a trip in before it all melted. The first night was great. Broke a record for cold that night which was easily beat by good ol' Mr. Heater. But, when I woke up, the temps had gone up to 40° by 8am and rose to almost 50 by noon. It got so sloppy, I broke everything down and went home. It won't be snow, but I'm going out again on the 26th for a long weekend.

Last edited by MacGyver; 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

MacGyver - sorry to hear your buddies bailed on you. Good thing Mr Buddy was there and performed well. I ultimately did not get a Mr Buddy this past winter. After thinking it thru and reading forum comments, I just didn't feel my tents were large enough to safely operate one inside (just not enough clearance from tent fabric with the amount of btu's those things kick out)...even with me fully awake and monitoring it.

The UCO mini tea-light candle lantern worked well. Provides some soft light and a small amount of heat (450 btu's). Worked well to keep condensation to a minimum which is the main reason I bought one. I went through two candles from before 10pm to 4am or so. At least I think so---the second candle I put in around 1am was out by the time I got up at 5. Why was I up at 1am? I was startled awake by some weird banging noise off in the distance. lol. I wasn't the only one who was awoken by the noise either. I was initially somewhat nervous about having a candle burning while I was sleeping, but the mini is a fairly safe fully contained design (as long as you don't bump it or knock it over). The bottom section is twisted on so no worries about wax dripping on you and since I had it hung with a chain about a foot+ or so below the tent ceiling, no worries about starting a fire as the heat reaching the ceiling fabric was minimal. I also had the optional metal reflector shade attached which reflected and/or heatsinked most of the heat and pushed the candle light downward.

Beyond the weird noises that I heard in the very early morning, I slept warm and soundly.

Hopefully you will have a better experience and successful trip coming up on the 26th!

Brian - a65hoosier
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-18-2015, 06:51 AM.
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting out. I am still working on my truck.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I love my candle lantern. When I'm car camping it always goes with me. It's plenty enough light to read by or do camp chores, and I like the fact that there are no batteries required. 1 candle is usually good for a couple of days. I can hang it from the tent ceiling (even in my solo tent) and read until I get sleepy. I have the reflector thing, too.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

That looks quite impressive with all 25 tents set up together. How did you get up to the camp site? Was it within walking distance? Drive? Canoe?
            A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Originally posted by RAND0M1ZER View Post
              That looks quite impressive with all 25 tents set up together. How did you get up to the camp site? Was it within walking distance? Drive? Canoe?
              The scouts had their gear in a trailer so they didn't have to carry their gear very far. Since there wasn't room for the adult cars back at the actual camp area, I had to hoof my stuff from the lodge parking lot. It wasn't too far (maybe 1/4 mile-idk?)....but with the 20lb tent and my pack (and the mud), I had to make 2 trips. lol The older scouts have a true backpacking camp trip coming up in a couple of months.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                I love my candle lantern. When I'm car camping it always goes with me. It's plenty enough light to read by or do camp chores, and I like the fact that there are no batteries required. 1 candle is usually good for a couple of days. I can hang it from the tent ceiling (even in my solo tent) and read until I get sleepy. I have the reflector thing, too.
                It worked better than I thought it would and gave off enough light. Also, something about a flame provides a small mental boost when it's cold out.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-25-2015, 04:44 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X