Air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioning

I'm looking for recommendations on keeping cool this summer, on one specific trip, but if it's something that can be reused in our garage where SO does his work (no climate control or insulation really), then bonus points for that.

My mom is camping with us at Ft Pickens this year, end of June beginning of July. She's from the North so she isn't used to boiling temperatures. Anything that could make her more comfortable?

Other than a box fan. That's usually all WE use, but we're kinda-sorta used to it.
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Air conditioning

http://youtu.be/HxSLbpAwibg

Comment

They have limited cooling capacity and need to be refueled with ice regularly, but you could build a portable swamp cooler.
      http://www.bing.com/search?q=diy+por...s=bs&form=QBRE

If there's electricity at Ft Pickens, you could just buy a portable AC unit.

Comment

There is electricity. I'm having a hard time finding a good portable AC unit.
        Nights under the stars:

Comment

I know y'all got Home Depots in GA (Years ago, I was amazed at the HD stores in Atlanta before they got up this far north) They sell several portable AC units - the ones that look like dehumidifiers, which is basically what they are, with the addition of a blower motor. They either drain into a small pan that needs emptying every so often, or you can attach a hose to drain 'em. With no big windows in my basement, I use a mid-sized unit to keep half of it nice and cool. I would imagine a small unit would take care of you just fine.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Lowes and Sears sell them too. I have two, an 8KBTU and a 12KBTU. A bit large to haul in a car, so be aware of that. Also you'll need to empty the condensation bottle each morning. But needs only a smallish hole for the exhaust tube to go outside the tent.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

they may be portable because they have wheels
              but generally not that small
              i had such a unit for a while, wouldnt want to lug it around camping and in the car
              maybe an option is to look at what RV's use? see if they use smaller units

Comment

I've seen some creative ideas for home made air conditioners for camping. Some are fairly simple and involve a bucket with hole made in it, a small fan, and ice.

I just googled "air conditioning at Burning Man" and saw several variants of the idea.

I knew of one guy that went to Burning Man and made his own AC to keep cool when sleeping. I think it was solar/battery operated. If you have power, it makes it somewhat easier. Looks like many are made from a 5 gallon bucket or a small cooler or plastic tub.

Comment

Along with that Malamute said if you google " pictures of air conditioning for tents" you'll see a lot of different ideas of what people used.

Comment

This far down south (gotta' lot in the 'Glades now), is strictly for the swampers. Those coolers won't deliver unless you're west of the Mississippi, so go for the gusto with a real AC unit...and get up off the ground for serious air circulation. Bahia Honda SP, Florida Keys:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

One popular method, is to place a small window AC on a milk crate, and use some ducting to direct the cold air into the tent. Some bigger cabin tents have a small square "AC" access port in the tent wall.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Wow! Well, I'm not cutting any holes into my new tents just for that :p I can probably improvise a way to move the air where it needs to go, and I can probably find a small cheap A/C unit to do it with.

Thanks!
                        Nights under the stars:

Comment

This blog reviewed a bunch of portable units and fans to use in tents. We picked up a tiny Frigidaire window model last summer and it worked quite well. But we did have to cut a hole in the tent to vent it.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	mini window.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	70023
                          Attached Files
                          New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

Working...
                          X