Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pack clothes for a month-long trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pack clothes for a month-long trip?

We are headed to Utah for a month of tent camping through the Mighty Five. We've been camping for years, and are a scouting family.

I can't make up my mind on how to pack the clothes.

Looking for various ways that people pack their clothes for long-term tent camping. Husband, wife, 16-yr-old boy, 11-yr-old boy. Everyone is responsible for managing their own clothes and we are planning to limit the amount of clothes everyone takes. How can we pack clothes for easy transitions between car and tent, with multiple take-downs and set-ups, and keep everything in a somewhat organized manner? What works for you?

Re: How to pack clothes for a month-long trip?

Hi Cara and welcome to the form. We roll everything except jeans. They're tri- folded and laid flat. Have a great trip. Utah's a beautiful state.
    Nights camping in 2013-----12
    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

We've taken the kids for a minimum 2 week camping trip every year for the last 10 years; this year the trip will last 3 weeks.
      I'm a roller.
      I also email the parents (grandmother and aunt in the house) a packing list that will fit into a weekend bag every year.
      Here it is:

7-10 tops (10 is for the fashionistas we travel with). 10 tops can come if they fit in the bag.
      5 bottoms, preferably dark in colour (shows the dirt less)
      2-3 bathing suits (we camp by the beach and go swimming at least twice a day normally)
      1-2 pairs of flip flops/sandals (they tend to lose sandals or they break)
      1 pair of sneakers
      a weeks worth of underwear
      1 pair of socks
      a zipper front hoodie
      One top and bottom must be house of worship/ restaurant/museum acceptable. Generally a polo shirt and khaki shorts works fine for whatever sex.
      toiletries have to be able to fit into a quart size ZipLoc bag.
      I bring easy foldable rain ponchos for each kiddo. Don't bother me with bulky raincoats and flip flops r fine in the rain.

Jeans or sweatpants are folded to fit in the suitcase. Could be rolled or folded. If you send yer kiddos with more stuff than will fit in the bag I will edit. With gusto.

We go to the local laundromat once a week and I wuvvvv pods. They are often sold/given away in sample packs and include everything needed.

If there was no clothes washing facilities nearby I'd still stick to the above packing list cuz it's my experience that kids aren't interested in keeping a an organized storage space and oh neither am I. Somewhere wrapped up in this trip is enjoyable time for me.

Enjoy your trip and this forum, cara.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I'm a convert to the packing cubes - I really like the ebags 3 piece set (1 large, 1 medium, 1 small). Pick a color for each family member. You don't mention how long you'll be staying at any campground.

If you're spending a week or more at any given campground, then I'd sort the cubes according to type of clothing (e.g, long pants, long sleeved-shirts, socks, etc. in one cube, shorts and t-shirts in a second cube, and so on).

If you're spending just a few days, then sort the cubes by days (e.g. pack 2 days worth of clothes in the medium cube for 2 day stays, etc.) - that way, you only have to pull the one cube needed out of the car for that campground. This is where the cubes excel I think, you can leave the bulk of the clothing in the car and just pull what you need for that stop.

I'm not a roller, I find I can fit things just as well by folding them as I can by rolling, and, for me, they are less wrinkly if I fold. Mix and match clothes - shirts should go with all the bottoms you bring, etc. Layers that can be worn separate - tank top or t-shirt, with a button down over it works great on cool days; skip the button down for hot days; use the button down with a jacket for colder days.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I'm a convert to the packing cubes - I really like the ebags 3 piece set (1 large, 1 medium, 1 small). Pick a color for each family member. You don't mention how long you'll be staying at any campground.

If you're spending a week or more at any given campground, then I'd sort the cubes according to type of clothing (e.g, long pants, long sleeved-shirts, socks, etc. in one cube, shorts and t-shirts in a second cube, and so on).

If you're spending just a few days, then sort the cubes by days (e.g. pack 2 days worth of clothes in the medium cube for 2 day stays, etc.) - that way, you only have to pull the one cube needed out of the car for that campground. This is where the cubes excel I think, you can leave the bulk of the clothing in the car and just pull what you need for that stop.

I'm not a roller, I find I can fit things just as well by folding them as I can by rolling, and, for me, they are less wrinkly if I fold. Mix and match clothes - shirts should go with all the bottoms you bring, etc. Layers that can be worn separate - tank top or t-shirt, with a button down over it works great on cool days; skip the button down for hot days; use the button down with a jacket for colder days.
          I think I'll give the packing cubs a try when the RV is delivered. Looks like they'll fit readily in the designated storage space (under the sofa/bed cushions). Errr but I'll prolly still roll much of the clothing since that's what I've been doing (wrinkle free) since my long term traveling began in the late '70's. Guess I'm just a victim of habit.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

To roll or not to roll. My logic is that everyone does what works best them. I didn't find rolling convenient for me, but I know lots of folks who do.

The cubes are really great in the RV. Use one for your white water hose(s) - it reduces the space needed by a lot.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We fold every thing. I never seem to be able to roll without tons on wrinkles. Depending on th type of trip, we use cubes or 2 gallon ziplock bags. I can usually pack a full days clothes in a ziplock. I love it because there is no digging for clothes, just grab a bag. It is great for those wet shower rooms also. Dirty clothes go into the bag. Clothes are dry when it is humid and everything gets damp.
              Jeans won't fit in the ziplock bags, but we rarely take jeans on a camping trip. We use cubes go every thing we can't fit in ziplock.

Comment

I am big on one gallon and two gallon zip lock bags. The Dollar Tree often has small, medium, and large clear bags, too, that can hold towels and jeans. The last ones I bought had handles, which was handy.

Every outfit can be layered - pants or shorts, sleeveless top, short sleeve top, long sleeve top.

Dirty clothes go in a mesh drawstring laundry bag.

Since I use a cot when tent camping, clothes go under the cot. I am partial to vintage Samsonite clamshell style suitcases from the 70's. These fit under the cot and will keep everything dry.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Minimize. One change of clothes max. Use poly and silk blends that dry fast, so you can wash and line dry and go. No cotton: gets grimy dirty, hard to hand wash and takes forever to dry. Bye bye blue jeans and T-shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Minimize. One change of clothes max. Use poly and silk blends that dry fast, so you can wash and line dry and go. No cotton: gets grimy dirty, hard to hand wash and takes forever to dry. Bye bye blue jeans and T-shirts.
                    I agree with you on minimizing but for a 3-4 week long trip one change of clothing would be pushing things into an extreme place for me.
                    I also think natural textiles mixed with some forms of synthetic can do well but so can 100 % naturals including cotton. Cotton washes beautifully on my end whether hand or machine washed. Powdered bleach and hand smoothing after rinsing are yer friend.
                    2017:

Comment

Mike, welcome to the Woodshed... :penguin:
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

For 3+ weeks, I'd do 4 bottoms (at least 2 long pants) and 6-8 shirts (3-6 tshirts and 2-4 overshirts), 1 sweatshirt, 1 jacket (waterproof). Personally, I take enough undies for the entire trip - undies don't take much room and I don't like my undies hanging out drying around strangers. 4 pairs of socks appropriate for the weather. 2 pairs of walking/hiking shoes. I'd allow 1 pair of flip flops/slip ons for relaxing around camp. If it ends up colder than you expected, your sweatshirt or jacket gets lost, etc., then buying a new sweatshirt or jacket at the destination gets you a souvenir and your needed cold weather gear.

Comment

Ha! Considering a 3+ week trip, I'm smiling at Mike's "take one change of clothes" to toedtoes having a suitcase full of skivvies.

OP - good advice overall...try to minimize the amount of clothes and plan a short "rotation" before washing/drying. Pack clothes in labeled ebags/bins or colored duffels. One for each person. I use duffels because I find them easier to pack.

One thing not mentioned so far is the handling of your "dirties" before laundry time. You can use a mesh sack, but I use compression sacks. One for every 2 people or you could do one for every person and have them keep their dirties in their bin/duffel, but organized and away. Stuff the dirty clothes in the compression sack and compress them down. That way they stay separate from the clean clothes and probably take up less space than when originally packed.
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My skivvies take up very little room - no more than an extra shirt for 3 weeks worth.

I use ziplock bags for my socks and undies. Clean socks in one, clean undies in a second. Then I bring two empties - one for socks and one for undies. The clothes, I don't worry as much about being in the same suitcase. Of course, with my clipper, I have a laundry bag in the bathroom and drop the dirty clothes into it.

Comment

I travel around the globe frequently and for extended weeks or longer. Travel includes work and active adventure. Luggage always has to be absolutely minimised. Everything must fit in one mid sized backpack or suitcase

For example, One pair of shoes that can be polished for dress and used for hiking rough terraine.

If you are on the move, washed clothes have to dry in a few hours inside a hotel room or other less than ideal circumstance. The best material I have found is high quality silk.

Some folks say you can't survive on only two changes of clothing, but many of the local native people I meet on my adventure travels only own only ONE set of clothing or less. Two of anything would be an unthinkable luxury.

Comment

Working...
                              X