Newish to tent camping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newish to tent camping.

As the title states Im newish to tent camping. I was a boy scout for years and we tent and pop up camped throughout my teens. I now have a 2 and 5 year old boys. We have decied to try and give it a go. I plan on buying a TNF Kaiju 6 tent. I also am going to get Disc o Bunk Cots for me and the Mrs. I plan on trying to find some cots for the boys as well. I have a couple different sleeping bags but need to get some stuff for the boys. Any suggetions on cook gear or anything thing else I might be missing. We plan on mainly doing car camping. Thanks in advance

Re: Newish to tent camping.

Originally posted by rysjimmy1994 View Post
    As the title states Im newish to tent camping. I was a boy scout for years and we tent and pop up camped throughout my teens. I now have a 2 and 5 year old boys. We have decied to try and give it a go. I plan on buying a TNF Kaiju 6 tent. I also am going to get Disc o Bunk Cots for me and the Mrs. I plan on trying to find some cots for the boys as well. I have a couple different sleeping bags but need to get some stuff for the boys. Any suggetions on cook gear or anything thing else I might be missing. We plan on mainly doing car camping. Thanks in advance
    Hi rysjimmy1994. Welcome to the Forum!

The TNF Kaiju 6 tent is a decent car camping tent (I looked at purchasing one last year). Rugged materials with solid 3000mm 150D polyester floor and 68D 1200mm polyester fly (which is evidenced by the heavy weight of 19+ lbs), 3 aluminum poles for the tent body+1 for the vestibule. Speaking of the main vestibule, it's a huge space to keep wet gear out of the tent and shoes dry from the morning dew. Plenty of space in the main vesty with two separate entrances. I've read comments regarding the side entrances to the vestibule could allow rain to enter the inner tent when entering, but that can be controlled as long as you are aware of it. Footprint size is good for 4 campers (yea yea-6 person tent-lol) at 8'8" x 10' and the peak height of 6'8". Be aware that the interior of the Kaiju is not quite a perfect rectangle, which will affect your layout of cots. Northface's lifetime warranty-excellent.

I would be cautious about trying to squeeze 3 cots (1 bunk cot + 2 cots for kids). You may find that putting 3 cots in that size footprint will be tight after you allow for the inward sloping walls of the tent. I think they will fit, but you may not have much walking around room inside. Make sure you purchase from a reliable retailer should you find the cots do not fit. Backcountry.com has the Kaiju 6 currently at 20% off.

As far as cooking gear for someone just starting out, I would recommend either a Coleman 2 burner or Campchef 2 burner propane stove for car camping. You can pick a new one up at a big box retailer or used one on Craigslist, eBay, etc. They've reliable, inexpensive, and the propane canisters are available everywhere. Your pots/pans, etc. can be the ones you have at home. Keep it simple at first, both with your cooking and the menu. lol-my family still loves a good ole hot dog and baked beans cooked over a campfire (that's my menu for one night this weekend).

You'll need to have some lighting for around the campsite - a simple LED lantern or a few headlamps are helpful and are available everywhere (kids love headlamps-well, maybe not the 3 year old, but your 5 year old will have a blast with one).

As far as sleeping bags, it depends on the time of year you will be camping. I am assuming summer and since you are car camping, any synthetic bags will do. I often take inexpensive Coleman fleece sleeping bag liners in the heat of summer just to have a cover when the temps dip a bit by morning. Depending on the temps, blankets might work also.

Do some researching on this site. I could go on and on about bins, duffels, etc. You'll find all sorts of ideas on equipment to bring and ideas to keep the kiddos interested with games, activities, etc. Walk around the campground where you are camping. Check out other tent campers sites. Introduce yourself and inquire about any gear and set-ups you see that you find interesting. I've found most tent campers are pretty nice folks that are willing to share info about their "stuff" and give helpful tips (I always take a stroll and almost always have fellow campers say hello and we exchange ideas, etc.). It's a good way to learn. On my last trip, I had a guy and his wife spend quite a bit of time inquiring about my Noah's tarp since they were looking at rain protection for outside their teardrop trailer. They actually had a notepad and took notes. lol I was happy to help.

My "bestest" advice for a new tent camper with a family? Try a "campout" in the backyard first along with cooking a meal or two. Practice setting-up the tent (this should always be done) and have everything you would have brought to the campground available in the car in the driveway or the garage in a bin. If you have to go into the house (beyond using the bathroom) to get something necessary, then that item probably should be added to the bin and brought with you on your "official" camping trip. It's just a good way to find out what you need and what you have forgotten...before you are at the campground. Make a list of everything you've used on your backyard campout and use that as your official "checklist" (trust me-this helps!)

Probably the best thing you and your wife can bring will be a fun attitude. Each camp trip you take is practice for the next one. Your kids are young, they won't care or notice if you forgot something...but they will pick up on your attitude. You'll find stuff that works great, stuff you wish you had brought (duh!), and stuff that just didn't work real well....and that's ok. Adjust your equipment and move forward to the next camp trip. A good attitude makes every trip a fun adventure.

Post some pictures of your first adventure and let us know how it goes. You'll find a lot of fellow campers here ready to help and answer any questions you may have going forward. Take care.

Brian
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

What tent would you recommend then that will fit three cots

Comment

rysjimmy1994, I have and love the extra-large Disc o Bunk Cots but it does take some room to put together. We use the coach formation to relax in the tent during rain. I agree with a65hoosier attitude and flexibility is very important; also heed his advice on the tent size. It is surprising quickly tent starts to run out of room. Everyone has their own comfort I personally like lots of room to stretch in my tent, but there are tradeoffs for everything. My 10x14 Kodiak flex bow is bulky and heavy but big, strong, and easy to set up. Look forward to see pictures of your adventures.
        Hermann

Comment

Why does everything have to be approved by a mod?

Comment

Hello and welcome, rysjimmy1994.

The Kaiju is a fine looking tent and the vestibule adds a a nice bit of usable living space particularly in bad weather.

I agree with hoosier's assessment and concerns about height and floor space re: sleeping and since he covered it nicely I'll move on to cooking.

To start out camping for a family of 4 w/o breaking the bank I'd suggest the following:

Cooking gear

A stove and or grill

A 12" cast iron skillet. It can easily fit and be used on any cooking surface you wish: fire pit, charcoal grill, propane or white gas stove.

A 4qt pot w/ high sides.
            If you have lids for the pots fine go ahead and bring them. No covers? Cover w/ foil.

A pair of locking tongs. Don't get the kind with silicon or plastic tips as they'll burn eventually when grilling.

A silicon spoon spatula for mixing, stirring,emptying plastic bags and containers. This is my personal favorite because it takes the place of several tools and is heat resistant:

http://www.isi-store.com/product_det...VFp7AodV3kALQ&.

A ladle for soups or stews is optional but useful.

A long sleeved grilling or welding glove is useful for cooking protection as well fire tending.

Eating utensils, dinner and drink ware. If you like coffee/tea replace 2 plastic cups with s/s insulated mugs.

At least one knife to cut meat, bread, or hard veggies. Or just bring steak knives depending on your menu.
            a 4 cup silicon measuring cup. Use for measuring, as a mixing bowl, container for other utensils like silverware

A can opener with a bottle opener on 1 end and a corkscrew on the other

A plastic cutting board. Use one side for meat the other for veggies. Write "meat" on one side w/ an indelible marker and "vegetable" on the other. Eliminates cross contamination.

A storage container for pantry foods. A 18 gal. lidded plastic container is probably fine but check the height of the tallest box or bottle to be sure it fits when the plastic lid on.
            You can also use a cardboard box and just store it in the trunk of the car.

Clean up

2 small dishpans for washing and rinsing dishes if the campground doesn't have a communal sink. A hard plastic shopping bag to carry the clean dishes if the campground has a communal sink. The bag can also be used to collect kindling which is a job I give to children when we first arrive; keeps 'em busy as we set up the camp site.

Hand sanitizer is great in the kitchen area.

Dr. Bonner's Liquid soap can be used to wash dishes, hair and body. It's biodegradable; great stuff:
            https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEPPERMINT/OLPE16.html

A sponge: one side green for pot cleaning other side yellow for dishes.
            Bleach towelette dispenser are great for cleaning the cooking and prep area.

Garbage bags

Don't feel you have to go out and buy all new stuff. Take a look around your home kitchen and there is a good chance you'll find a lot of what you need right there.
            Also be sure to think of any special gear you'll need based on your menu. For instance.. spaghetti wants a colander.

Plan to use a tablecloth? Get Coughlan table clips. There is another brand commonly found in stores (maybe Coleman's?) but they are too short.

Binder clips found in the stationary dept/store are useful for organising foods and closing bags (optional).

HTH and have fun out there!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

OK, well, I am kind of the minimalist on this forum. I would say don't spend a bunch of money on gear. If you get started at state parks (and that IS a good place to start) you will likely have grills, fire rings, and picnic tables already on site. So for an overnighter you can just bring food you would cook on a grill, and maybe some foam plates or something. Cots are really a luxury - I do have one I use for extended stay campouts with family (OK, my wife needs the cot), but really, kids do OK without, and a nice sleeping pad (Thermarest or equivalent) works for me. IF the family enjoys the experience, you may indulge yourself in all the clever gear that is available these days. Use household stuff as much as possible, but don't go over your vehicle's weight limit :-) If you're like me, you may find that the family goes "Meh!" and you do most of your camping solo. That works. I always have a guitar and a book for company :-) Oh, a lantern is nice. Whatever strikes your fancy. I approach camping as an adventure - I kind of make things up as I go along. It worked with my son - as an adult he loves it as much as I do. I started him with a piece of Visqueen and a couple of sleeping bags. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Well I ended up getting the Kaiju6. I also ordred the bunks. Man are they huge. They do fit however. i ordered a coleman 2 burner, a Biolite stove and a bunch of other stuff. i think im just going to get sleeping pads for the kids.

Comment

We had our first trip out last weekend. The tent was great. it rained alot. our site turned into a mud puddle. My boys were happy so it was fairly successful. Im currently planning a week long camping trip out to yellowstone so Im pretty pumped

Comment

Working...
                  X