HI Everyone-Upgrading tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI Everyone-Upgrading tent

Hi Everyone - New to the forum. I have a Big Agnes 4 and we need something bigger. Going to an 8. Looking at the Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8 vs. the Marmont Limestone 8. Any suggestions? Differences?

Re: HI Everyone-Upgrading tent

Hi GracieRose and Welcome to the Forum.

Both of these tents are large top end tents. Palaces for 6 comfortably (but probably not 8 adults). Great materials, well constructed and designed. Both manufacturers (Big Agnes and Marmot) are known for quality work and lifetime warranties on these tents.

These are high end tents and with most high end products....you're going to get great quality, so the deciding factor will come down to your personal preference and function-how you, and any tentmates, will use the tent and where/how often/etc.

I assume you are not interested in a canvas tent. They also come in 10x14 layouts (similar to these 2 tents) and have nearly vertical sidewalls. However, they are very heavy compared to a nylon/polyester tent of the same size. Throwing that out there because there are a group of happy canvas tent owners/fans on this board.

I am also going to assume that you definitely need the space but.....these are large tents (112 & 119 sq ft interior). Add on the size of each tent's vestibules and you will cover a lot of ground. If you don't need all that space, I'd suggest looking at the Flying Diamond 6 and the Limestone 6. You lose some square footage, but you gain in reduced set-up/take down/fold up time, and there's less side silhouette presented to high winds in those slightly smaller versions. They generally weight less and it's easier to find a flat pitch spot at your campsite with a smaller tent footprint. Some campgrounds may restrict you to a certain size tent pad. Just things to consider.

Here is an online spec comparison of the BA Flying Diamond 8 and Marmot Limestone 8 side by side via one of the outdoor online shops I frequent: https://www.backcountryedge.com/cata...compare/index/

Comparing the 2 tents stats side by side: The fabric material and thickness of the floor are higher on the Marmot (150D Nylon Oxford-very thick/rugged) as are the waterproof ratings of the fly/floor of the Marmot-(1800/3000) vs. the BA-(1200/1800). There is somewhat more interior square footage on the Marmot. Each has a somewhat different footprint shape which may or may not affect how you will lay out your sleeping configuration. The Marmot also has more total vestibule square footage in it's 2 vestibules. The BA also has 2 vestibules-one super large and one much smaller. The large vestibule on the BA is 35 sq ft - almost the space of a 3P tent!!! lol The BA is rated at 4 season due to the pole structure, the Marmot 3 season. The BA has more fly venting options than the Marmot....

One could go back and forth quite a bit on each of these tent's strengths. Their weaknesses, besides their size, are minimal.

Sooooo...my suggestion? Pick either! You won't go wrong with either BA or Marmot. Both of these tents are great choices for a large family sized tent.

If you have more questions, just ask. Let us know which one you decided on and give us an update. Have fun and Happy Camping!

FYI...if I had to choose....say if I won one in a contest and had to select one as my prize...I'd select the Marmot.

Brian
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Let's see what the specs say for the 2 tents.

Marmont Limestone 8

Tech Specs

Material:
      [fly] 68D polyester, PU coating (1800mm), [canopy] 40D polyester no-see-um mesh, 70D polyester taffeta, [sidewall] 75D polyester taffeta, PU coating (2000mm), [floor] 150D nylon, PU coating (3000mm)

Poles:
      DAC DA17 aluminum (14.5mm)

Interior Height:
      76= 6' 3" approx

Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8

Floor area 112 square feet Vestibule area 35 square feetPeak height (main area) 6 ft. + (back area) 4 ft. 6 in. Number of doors 2 doors (2nd door is much smaller)
      Pole material Aluminum Pressfit combi Pole diameter 11 to 13 millimetersCanopy fabric Ripstop polyester/nylon mesh Floor fabric Coated polyester Rainfly fabric Coated ripstop polyester

OK, they both seem easy to setup and are colour coded; this is a good thing. Interior height is similar although the vestibule of the Marmot doesn't have a really good height for some of the suggested uses like sitting in the vestibule It's awning is definitely under height and makes me a little leery as to how long it would hold up during rainy weather. I'm not seeing the full fabric specs for the Agnes so can't do a blow by blow comparison.

All in all I think given the similar price points the Big Agnes will give you more usable space.

How many people do you expect to sleep in your new tent?
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks so much for the great answers!! We are just two people but we really want more space. We have a Big Agnes 4 and it's tiny for us. An 8 will do us fine. I think we're going to stick with BA because we totally love all the features of our 4. One night there was a fierce storm and when we got up we couldn't believe the damage around us. We slept like babies and never even heard the wind. The BA reviews are all pretty clear that the silhouette is really effective against the wind. And we've never had a drop of rain in our tent. I was really considering switching to the Marmot but I found out that I have free shipping on the BA. That pretty much sealed it. I'll keep you posted!!

Comment

I'd get a 2nd Big Agnes Four or a similar tent from one of the top manufacturers in a 4 or 6-man configuration. Once you get larger than 6-man you lose wind and rain integrity, not to mention the issue of the "ideal" tent site often not supporting something larter than 10X10. Two tents have advantages over one. You already have a good model, and setting up anything bigger than a 6-man by yourself does get hairy!
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Don't think you could go wrong with either, or as suggested adding another 4/6 person tent to the line up and going double. Though good questions as to how many people will be in there. Are you mostly summer camping or year round as well.

Comment

I'm going to second (or third) the recommendation to either get a 6 man or a second tent. Huge tents are hard to pitch, aren't quite as storm resistant, and it's often hard to find a spot to put them (either due to not enough level ground or a tent pad that limits your size options).
              Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
              Nights under the stars:
              2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
              2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Hi. We're looking for new (and larger) tent as well. How much does a Marmont Limestone 8 run these days? We want an upgrade, but we don't want to go broke.
                New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

I'd broaden your horizons and look at models also from REI, EMS, Mountain HardWear, Big Agnes, or Sierra Designs. any of these companies will deliver the same top-shelf quality and durability, but you may find model changeovers, overstocks, Ebay new-with-tags, etc. to get into what you can budget for.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryA View Post
                    Hi. We're looking for new (and larger) tent as well. How much does a Marmont Limestone 8 run these days? We want an upgrade, but we don't want to go broke.

manufacturer's base price:

http://marmot.com/products/details/limestone-8p

REI is having a sale currently:

http://www.rei.com/product/863990/ma...estone-8p-tent

as is Campsaver:

http://www.campsaver.com/limestone-8p-tent

HTH
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryA View Post
                      NYCgrrl has you linked to REI's 20% off sale, bringing the Marmot Limestone 8 from $650 down to $520 (you'll have to spend $20 to become an REI member if you are not one currently). Campsaver is out of stock on the Limestone 8. Look around and use google shopping to find other online retailers. Many offer discounts and sales and an extra % off for signing up for their emails/joining their free "club". Just need to compare each one against another once you've narrowed your tent search to a couple of candidates.

tplife also brings up a good point to look at other well known brands as mentioned to see what they have to offer in larger size family tents. All of the brands he has listed are top quality and similar to Marmot and Big Agnes. See what options are available to you in 6 and 8 person configurations.

I also want to emphasize to carefully consider your need for a large 8 person tent...for all of the reasons forum members mentioned earlier in the thread. A 6 person tent may give you all the space you truly need without the hassles a large 8 person tent brings to the campsite.

Have fun upgrading and let us know what you decided upon MaryA!
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The OP lives in Canada so I would think weather conditions are somewhat of a factor in the decision. I'd take a look at a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8-person tent. It is absolutely bombproof. It can handle snow, rain or wind was designed for hunting guides who brought their clients to Kodiak Island in Alaska. $599.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Cabelas also has a 6-person XPG expedition tent but after owning the Alaskan Guide tent I'd go in that direction.

I have the 6-person model and attest to its strength. It is also fine in mid-summer as well. Here are two videos of it. One shows how storm worthy it was for one hunting group on Kodiak Island. The other video will give you an excellent review or the tent itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDRnmX7EkA
                        Moss Big Dipper
                        Alaskan Guide 8
                        Alaskan Guide 6
                        NorthFace Tadpole 23
                        ALPS Exteme 3
                        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                        X