Its time for another tent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its time for another tent...

Hello everyone. I have had canvas tents that never leaked, nylon, taffeta and gore tex tents that always leaked...
    I'm approaching 70 and it seems I should have one more tent and the enjoyment they bring.I have decided that I'll purchase a Springbar Vagabond. Fits 2 comfortably. Enough air movement. Enough space for a rainy day and thankfully has enough room to stand. Having RA, I don't crawl well.
    I see Kodak tents raved about here and I'm wondering why?
    Please advise why Kodak over Kirkham's Springbar?
    thanks

Re: Its time for another tent...

When I'm looking at tents of any kind the exact model makes it so much easier to compare the specifications. Have you already chosen a KS model you're interested in?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hello City Girl,
      I'm pretty much settled on the Vagabond 4 with the canopy and extra stakes. Enough room, good ventilation, standing height with resistant floor material. I will miss the vinyl cover they had in the 70's.......

Comment

Aside from their being considerably cheaper, the next thing that made me go to the Kodiaks is their style doors. Springbars have their screens inside with what appears to be, for lack of a better phrase, a flap and tie kind of door. The Kodiaks have the screens on the outside with zip up flap inside which allows you to adjust air flow without opening the screen. Also, I originally thought the metal ring tent peg loops on the Springbars would be more durable than the cloth loops on the Kodiaks, but the more I thought about it, I figured the cloth would be more readily repaired on site than the metal ones in the event of a failure. The only thing I think Springbars hold over the Kodiaks is that they're made in Utah, U. S. of A.
        Last edited by MacGyver; 05-12-2015, 03:00 AM.

Comment

The points that MacGyver made is what made me get the Kodiak; and I love it. Also if you get the VX style the side windows give great ventilation.

Comment

I didn't know Kirkham's existed when I bought mine. Plus I checked out the Kodiak in person and was impressed.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks Mac,
              I like the sound of the screen outside the door, the flaps always bothered me years ago. The Springbar vagabond size of 8 X 10 seems ideal for me. Are the Kodak floors edged with rope also? And how are the loops attached? Though the Kodiak 10 X 10 is too big, it seems my mind is leaning towards the Kodiak, but I hate to give money to China.

Comment

Mac , CityGirl,
                The 8 X 10 seems ideal since there's only me. Putting up should be fine, taking down in starting rain storm may be problematic....
                I like the manner of how the window screens are installed Mac, but I wonder about the stake loops. I always had a hook made of 1/4" rod for pulling stake. Actually pulled on the loops. I wonder if cloth loops would be harmed?
                While heavier than other tents, I can imagine this in the Adirondacks at Forked Lake or on the Raquette River or at Picture rocks Lakeshore.
                ***** I've missed camping.....
                best regards
                dennis

Comment

Well, it seems settled.......Kodiak 10 X 10 tent it will be. Touch larger than I wanted, but Mac's point about the screen/door sealed the purchase. Now I have to narrow some trips down to previous lovely spots! Forked Lake in the Adirondacks, Sleeping Bear Dunes in the Lower Peninsula, Rocky Mtn Park, Arches Nat Park....So many beautiful spots and memories.
                  good summer to all, enjoy the day

Comment

Working...
                  X