Best car camp sites within 3 hours of NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best car camp sites within 3 hours of NYC

Hi! My friend and I plan on camping on as many weekends as possible this summer. Can anyone recommend car campsites within 3 hours of NYC? Looking for a place that hopefully doesn't have sites one on top of the other, relatively close to river/hiking activities, and generally nice surroundings. Also prefer a place that isn't too strict but also doesn't stand for people getting completely wasted. Just want a nice relaxing weekend with beautiful views! Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Re: Best car camp sites within 3 hours of NYC

Originally posted by DurDurBk View Post
    Hi! My friend and I plan on camping on as many weekends as possible this summer. Can anyone recommend car campsites within 3 hours of NYC? Looking for a place that hopefully doesn't have sites one on top of the other, relatively close to river/hiking activities, and generally nice surroundings. Also prefer a place that isn't too strict but also doesn't stand for people getting completely wasted. Just want a nice relaxing weekend with beautiful views! Thank you in advance for any recommendations!
    Just saw your thread for the first time so sorry.

Possibilities that might be available this late in the season:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nnecticut.html

DH will be avail because it has no showers and the lighting in the bthrms are creepy:D. Still a beautiful spot.

Check around the Adirondacks using the following sites:

reserveamerica.com

http://nysparks.com/regions/adirondack/default.aspx

It's prolly too late in the season to find a spot at the following close to the city spots:

Rocky Point in CT
    Hammonassett in CT (if you find a reservation here be sure to look at the campsite map and Google Earth to be sure it meets your criteria) Area One(well most of it), Dowd's(some of it will) and Beach Rd will NOT meet much of your criteria.
    Bear Mountain in NY (awfully crowded by day trippers from Thurs to Mon anyway)
    ALL the Fed, state and county sites in LI and Westchester but you can still check reserveamerica.com and the Fed site for cancellations; prolly midweek will be your best possibility.

Nickerson and it's satellites in MA is a bit further than 3 hours BUT prolly booked solid for months.

Check reserveamerica for state parks in RI.......many here (meaning NYC) don't think of them but the sites can be beautiful.

I can tell you more of CT but but let's see if you've an interest.

I know little of camping in NJ but others here certainly do.

HTH and have fun out there!
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with City Girls Adirondack rec. I'd also say anywhere NE of city. Some of the memorable trips I've made were East...l

Comment

I have gone to the Little Pond campground in the Catskills a couple of times this summer and really enjoyed it. I stayed in site #73 and it was very secluded and right on the water. Site 71 looks great, too. We also have an upcoming trip to Macedonia Brook State park, which looks like it also has spots that will fit the bill. The problem we have been encountering is that desirable spots at campgrounds near NYC seem to book up well in advance, so although enjoyable, camping has not panned out to be as spontaneous as I was hoping it could be.

Comment

Working...
        X