Suggestions for electric on primitive sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for electric on primitive sites

I have a bunch of areas we can go but there is no electricity. We would like to be able to set up a fan for the evening so our daughter (5) is not so hot. Any suggestions on how to get some portable power? I see some battery fans but I am not sure if they would be any good. Max budget is $250. I was thinking something like a battery pack or solar panels....
    thanks

Re: Suggestions for electric on primitive sites

I use the Coleman tent fan with the rechargeable battery pack. I get about 6 hours on the charge. The fan and the battery pack are about $25 each, but are often on sale. Good for keeping one person cool. The blades are foam, so little chance of hurting your daughter. Can be charged AC or DC.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-CP...Stand/16472394

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...%5E70247940678
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Unless you're stying more than several days, an AGM battery and Wagan 12v outlets will give you a lot of power, a Group 31 Optima for example is a 55 hr battery that is portable and weighs about 40 pounds. We have gotten over 7 years running so far out of our AGM. It needs no battery box, can be deeply discharged, doesn't give off flammable gas, won't put holes in your pants from handling it. Longer journeys mean adding solar panels to keep the AGM charged.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

A group 31 Optima weighs more like 60 pounds and is well beyond a 55 amp hour battery. I would imagine, if you're only running a fan on a battery that size, it would last for days, if not a week or more. The only drawback would be that they retail for around $300 - above the specified $250 limit.
        http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...-and-starting/

Comment

You can get a Wagan portable power pack for under $100. It has jumper cables and an air compressor plus 2 12v outlets (cigarette lighter outlets) and 2 120v outlets (household outlets). It should get you through a weekend on one charge. The pack can be plugged into a 120v outlet or a 12v outlet for charging.

This gets you the power plus something to blow up water toys and jumpstart the car if needed.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Fantastic Endless Breeze fan. About $66 at Amazon. Ten blades and low power consumption.
            When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
            Six hundred pounds of sin
            Was grinning at my window
            All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

The Endless Breeze fans are absolutely great - they're highly rated on every site I've looked at. Power consumption could be a concern on a longer trip, though. Low- 1.18 amps, medium- 1.62 amps, high- 2.58 amps.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                You can get a Wagan portable power pack for under $100. It has jumper cables and an air compressor plus 2 12v outlets (cigarette lighter outlets) and 2 120v outlets (household outlets). It should get you through a weekend on one charge. The pack can be plugged into a 120v outlet or a 12v outlet for charging.

This gets you the power plus something to blow up water toys and jumpstart the car if needed.
                MacGayver is correct about the group 31. I believe what I'm describing is a Group 34: The OPTIMA Optima® 8016-103 - BlueTop™ Group D34M Car Battery weights 43.5 lbs. I bought it at Costco for $ 120.00 using a $30 off coupon. It's one of the best purchases I've made, a few dollars for wire, fuses, and connections. There are basically three designs of batteries, booster, deep discharge, and a middle ground which combines both (Yellow Top, Blue Top, Red Top). We started out with a new Wagan 400 "Power Dome" but discovered it would hardly last more than a single season. Research showed why - it's a tiny 14 AH motorcycle-type wet cell battery, and as a BOOSTER it is not designed nor meant for discharging as a power supply. It was just out of warranty when ours failed to come up to 12V, but Wagan was kind enough to give me a free replacement. Now it does duty in my garage as a BOOSTER, not as a power supply: $100 lesson learned.

Last edited by tplife; 07-21-2015, 07:28 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-400-Watt...gan+power+pack

I've had it for six years now and it's still running strong.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-400-Watt...gan+power+pack

I've had it for six years now and it's still running strong.
                    I have that one too, it's also about six years old as a replacement. 14 AH is not enough power for what I need and it has to cycle more than a year before failure to pass muster. It's good you don't need more AH, as a system requires fuses, line, soldering and/or crimpring. ONTOH, if we have a power failure at home I've got some reliable backup!

Comment

I agree if you need more power, then the Wagan wouldn't work. But for the OP, who is looking to just run a fan, the Wagan should be plenty of power and offer the ability to blow up water toys for his daughter as an extra purpose.

Comment

I'm actually getting ready to buy an optima blue top for this specified purpose. Fans while camping. I know my kids are totally going to plug there cellphones and other small electronic devices into it. So I'm opting for a battery with a larger capacity. The other thing you can do if nobody has mentioned it it's also a portable jump box. If you keep it in a charged state at your house like connected to a float charger and you need a jump just connect your jumper cables. I'm just trying to work out the charging issues.

Comment

Sorry for the no response back. I appreciate all the suggestions. I have not yet gotten anything to run the fans. I am leaning to the car jump box as a option. Is there any other models that are ok. I cannot seem to find this model in our stores.
                          Is there anything posted on this site on items need to make the batteries up along with solar panels?

Comment

Originally posted by remist17 View Post
                            Sorry for the no response back. I appreciate all the suggestions. I have not yet gotten anything to run the fans. I am leaning to the car jump box as a option. Is there any other models that are ok. I cannot seem to find this model in our stores.
                            Is there anything posted on this site on items need to make the batteries up along with solar panels?
                            I haven't used any other models so can't say for sure. The Wagan used to be sold at Harbor Freight - not sure if it still is.

Comment

I actually found that the jump box I currently have has two electrical outlets. So Im going to try that.

Planning for the future, I am looking into 35ah AGM battery which seems to be a common boat battery. Will any deep cycle battery work for camping? Really dumb question.... what do I need to attach to the battery to give me outlet connections? converter? running fan and maybe lights only. I also will need a charger, any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                              X