Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for electric on primitive sites

Originally posted by remist17 View Post
    Ok I'll try and calculate the power consumption most a little fan. I can use the lantern for light. I'll post what I come up with for you guys to see. I really appreciate the support thanks!
    LED conversion seems to be the big thing lately over at the Woodalls forums, I'm thinking you should have a good selection available at 12V to power lighting needs, and utilize 12 fans or converters for your other appliances.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If you try to use 12 volt LED bulbs it is standard "good practice" to use a voltage/current limiting circuit called a driver to prevent killing the LEDs with over voltage/over current; some years ago I managed to kill a couple of $25 RV LED bulbs by not using a driver and trying to recharge the battery while the lighting was in use... hopefully the tech has improved so the current LED lighting is less susceptible to failure (some solar panels can have an open circuit voltage well in excess of 20 volts).
      By using 120 volt LED bulbs (had to select for best efficiency, some bulbs have a definite preference for some inverters) I don't/won't experience this issue again (they have an integral down converter that protects them).

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

http://www.batteryjunction.com/power...gin%20Products
        For the cost of an optima, You can buy several batteries like pictured above. All deep cycles and sealed. optimas in my opinion are over rated, Especially for what you are looking to use them for. If you insist on an optima, blue top is the way you want to go.
        A small 2a float charger from harbor freight would make a good charger.
        I use the battery linked above all day long on fire alarm systems.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
          http://www.batteryjunction.com/power...gin%20Products
          For the cost of an optima, You can buy several batteries like pictured above. All deep cycles and sealed. optimas in my opinion are over rated, Especially for what you are looking to use them for. If you insist on an optima, blue top is the way you want to go.
          A small 2a float charger from harbor freight would make a good charger.
          I use the battery linked above all day long on fire alarm systems.
          Kmaysob, thanks. That PowerSonic battery is the same type for the same price (that I paid with a coupon at Costco) with the same AH rating as my Optima BlueTop...The only difference I can see is it's 5 lb lighter. I think it would be a good choice for someone needing a 55AH capacity as a portable power source.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X