Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tents that work?

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    There are very few REI stores that actually rent gear. To be honest, I'd never heard that any of them did (kind of odd to me since I spend so much time in their stores). So this is what I found when I checked:
    http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html
    Fortunately for me the 2 or 3 REIs in my area do. Recommended my former DIL rent from them to keep her out of my tent. We went on one trip where she couldn't 'member to take off her shoes and constantly ate in my tent soooooo I told her to get her own tent and she could set it up on my site for subsequent trips. After seeing the pigsty she was perpetrating in her tent decided she needed her own site. Surprisingly enough she's never gone camping again and I'm weally sure that shocks ya. I used to try to like her but but wellllll now I'm merely polite and maintain a slightly quizzical look when she speaks:diablo::he:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

For some reason, there is a huge delay on my posts. I bought a tent and did a review on it........................would like to submit it as well.

Comment

I'm assuming that the moderator is pretty busy. I understand that, I'm a moderator of a forum as well.

Comment

Lmao................

Comment

Some GA state parks have a "new camper" program where they loan out equipment.

You get an REI Kingdom 6, 4 sleeping pads, camp stove, lantern, chairs, marshmallow roasting sticks, etc. You bring food and sleeping bags. It's 2 nights for $50 and that includes the reservation... AND they set it all up for you.

(Apparently I've been doing camping all wrong! I pay $70 for 2 nights and have to buy and set up all my own stuff!!)
            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
            Nights under the stars:
            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post

You get an REI Kingdom 6, 4 sleeping pads, camp stove, lantern, chairs, marshmallow roasting sticks, etc. You bring food and sleeping bags. It's 2 nights for $50 and that includes the reservation... AND they set it all up for you.

(Apparently I've been doing camping all wrong! I pay $70 for 2 nights and have to buy and set up all my own stuff!!)
              Wow! That sounds fantastic. My very best compliments to the Georgia Department of AG, Parks, and Forestry!

Comment

They have a very similar program for Texas State Parks as well and I notice they also use REI tents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Wow! That sounds fantastic. My very best compliments to the Georgia Department of AG, Parks, and Forestry!
                  http://gastateparks.org/FirstTimeCamper

:D
                  Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                  Nights under the stars:
                  2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                  2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I know some are just meh on Coleman but I have been using a Red Canyon and a 4-person Sundome and they have both performed great on 4 trips so far totaling about 14 full days of use. They have been exposed to a lot of rain and have experienced no leaks. The only minor issue I've had is with the front door zipper on the Red Canyon being difficult to zip-up. As starting gear for a new camper, I'm happy with them.

That said, I want a couple of these: http://www.tentsile.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                      The only minor issue I've had is with the front door zipper on the Red Canyon being difficult to zip-up.
                      Have you tried waxing the zipper with a candle and ensuring that the front panel of the tent isn't stretched too tight in some way? My Eureka dome was hard to zip up, but I finally figured out that a candle run along the zipper eased up the snags and making sure to set the tent up with the door closed kept everything in alignment.

That said, I want a couple of these: http://www.tentsile.com/
                      I stop and look at those quite a bit when I'm browsing the REI website. I don't know how it looks down there in Texas, but where I camp, I can picture trying to find 3 sturdy trees 120 degrees apart - that are also close enough to get straps around - a daunting task.

Comment

I know some are just meh on Coleman but I have been using a Red Canyon and a 4-person Sundome and they have both performed great on 4 trips so far totaling about 14 full days of use. They have been exposed to a lot of rain and have experienced no leaks. The only minor issue I've had is with the front door zipper on the Red Canyon being difficult to zip-up. As starting gear for a new camper, I'm happy with them.

I "returned" to camping with a Coleman Red Canyon. Was a good tent for fair weather. Then I had a couple of high wind nights in Moab, UT and a few here in CO. Then I figured since I was going to be camping for a while, I would just buy a tent that I really wanted.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

lol...Sunny - that's quite a deal! Yea, I think we've been doing this wrong. It got me checking around and Indiana also has a similar program for "first time campers" (smaller scale, limited dates and locations). The $15 per person cost for an overnight covers the camp site, tent, sleeping bag/pad AND 3 MEALS and assistance in setting up camp. Doesn't mention what equipment is used. But still...a great idea to introduce "newbies" into the tent camping world.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files...stown_Camp.pdf
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Have you tried waxing the zipper with a candle and ensuring that the front panel of the tent isn't stretched too tight in some way? My Eureka dome was hard to zip up, but I finally figured out that a candle run along the zipper eased up the snags and making sure to set the tent up with the door closed kept everything in alignment.

I stop and look at those quite a bit when I'm browsing the REI website. I don't know how it looks down there in Texas, but where I camp, I can picture trying to find 3 sturdy trees 120 degrees apart - that are also close enough to get straps around - a daunting task.
                            Thanks, for that tip but the problem seems to be that the top panel of the window (screen mesh) portion of the door was made with narrower at the opening than the bottom part. When zipping it up from the bottom, it is smooth as can be until the half way point. At first I thought I was pitching it too tight so I stopped staking it until it was completely pitched and the door tested but it changed nothing. Now, after further contemplation, I am certain we pitched it the last two times with the door completely unzipped. I am going to make sure it is closed from now on and see if that helps. Thanks, Mac.

Yeah, the Tentsiles are cool but finding that perfect spot to pitch it could be a challenge in some environments.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              I "returned" to camping with a Coleman Red Canyon. Was a good tent for fair weather. Then I had a couple of high wind nights in Moab, UT and a few here in CO. Then I figured since I was going to be camping for a while, I would just buy a tent that I really wanted.
                              Agree with that, King. As a new camper, my wife decided we would only be camping in fair weather (haha). This Red Canyon has held up well in torrential downpours and a few wind gusts but there are environments where it would not be my first choice.

Comment

Agree with this. Here in my neck of the woods (Indiana), there just aren't many sites that lend themselves to easily setting up that style of tent. And at a weight of 19 lbs (Stingray model), this is a car or canoe camping tent...you're not going to be able to backpack it in.

As a side note: At the last REI garage sale I was at, there were quite a few of the Tentsile tents offered up for sale. It appears that some of our "locals" had bought them and soon found out that the opportunities for use are limited here in IN.

All that said....if you have the appropriate campsites in your area, it would be neat tree house type experience.
                                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X