Copper Canyon 6 person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Canyon 6 person

was wondering if anyone has any reviews on this tent seen one on youtube saying was pretty heavy but i carry a pretty heavy tent already... any input would be great

Re: Copper Canyon 6 person

No personal experience with it, but I did look at it and liked what I saw. Eureka doesn't get a lot of love here but they make good tents.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

There are a few members with Copper Canyon's on this forum and they seem to like them. If I remember right, they are highly reviewed on Amazon as well. Anytime you get into these bigger tents, the weight is going to increase. But it's not as if we are backpacking with them. The furthest we carry tents is maybe 100'? Plus you could always separate the canvas and poles if it is a little heavy for you.

Maybe some Canyon owners will chime in.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I agree with Kingquad's comments. Although I do not own a Copper Canyon, many do and speak highly of them as the reviews generally indicate. Perhaps an actual Copper owner can provide some personal perspective.

Search the forum for Eureka Copper Canyon to locate some other threads on this tent (I know they are out there).

You may also want to consider the Eureka Jade Canyon which is new for 2015. It is essentially a "beefed up" version of the Copper series. Same size and dimensions....but heavier waterproof coatings and different fabrics. The Jade series uses aluminum poles in the roof structure rather than fiberglass poles used in the Copper version. The weight drops by 2 lbs in the Jade (21lb 2oz) vs the Copper (23lb 2oz). These are heavy tents so you won't want to carry them very far...but for car or canoe camping, weight is generally not much of an issue.

The offset to all of these "upgrades" in the Jade 6p is about an additional $100 in price over the Copper 6p. Whether that additional cost is worth it is really up to you.

Some links to both from Eureka's website so you can compare specs:

Copper Canyon 6p: http://store.eurekatent.com/copper-canyon-6-person-tent

Jade Canyon 6p: http://store.eurekatent.com/Jade-Canyon-6-Tent

Happy Camping and let us know what you decided to get and why.

Brian - "a65hoosier"
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Owner of a Eureka CC here and the second one I've owned. Not a 6 person.............I think the one I own is a 12 person (10' x 12') although 6 campers is about all I'd want to fit in it to be able to also store gear. Just back from a 3 week trip and the sleeping arrangements involved a bunk bed cot, queen air mattress on a stand and a twin air mattress on the floor. We were pretty comfy, stored belongings in each of the four corners and under the queen bed for one of the campers. The model I have has 2 doors on opposite sides so it makes bed placement a little harder but it would have been worse if the doors had been placed in the middle of the walls.

The reason I'm on my second CC in 10 years is due to an unfortunate accident involving a knife and a teenager practicing her bushcraft. Oh right and a lil blood. I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine but ya gotta know when to fold. Also helps to love kiddos and their foolishness:zzz::he:....

I did look at the new Jade and really liked what I read but opted to get another CC because I was able to get it at 60% off at the Eureka outlet.

As for your original question, corylcauley, yes it's heavy for backpacking (too heavy, LOL) but fine for car camping. The tent body is stored in a separate bag from the poles and it makes it easier to lug 15 odd yards.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Another CC owner here, but the CC 4 person. It's the kids' tent.

We finally got some serious weather testing recently when we stayed at Fort Pickens. Heavy storms blew through at least once a day or night. We never got around to tying out the guy lines, but it stood without any issues and there were no leaks. Winds were pretty strong (and Ft Pickens doesn't really have much vegetation to speak of to break the wind), rain was a massive downpour. No issues at all.

It's easy to set up, takes a couple of minutes with 2 people and less than 10 minutes with 1 person.

Super tall on the inside, and the walls are made so that there's plenty of usable space inside. We have the bunk bed cots, and only have to pull it out from the wall maybe 4-6" so that the top bunk isn't touching the wall, either.

https://campminion.wordpress.com/201...february-2015/
            https://campminion.wordpress.com/201...ut-april-2015/
            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
            Nights under the stars:
            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
              Another CC owner here, but the CC 4 person. It's the kids' tent.

We finally got some serious weather testing recently when we stayed at Fort Pickens. Heavy storms blew through at least once a day or night. We never got around to tying out the guy lines, but it stood without any issues and there were no leaks. Winds were pretty strong (and Ft Pickens doesn't really have much vegetation to speak of to break the wind), rain was a massive downpour. No issues at all.

It's easy to set up, takes a couple of minutes with 2 people and less than 10 minutes with 1 person.

Super tall on the inside, and the walls are made so that there's plenty of usable space inside. We have the bunk bed cots, and only have to pull it out from the wall maybe 4-6" so that the top bunk isn't touching the wall, either.

https://campminion.wordpress.com/201...february-2015/
              https://campminion.wordpress.com/201...ut-april-2015/
              We set up in a hurry last trip because the man had to return to NYC to work and apparently installed one of the side poles into the roof backwards. I did guyline simply because the area we camp at is prone to sudden high winds. Decided I'd re-do the pole when the teenaged camper and my sister arrived on Saturday but sister arrived late in the afternoon and then had to skedaddle to catch a train. The usual running around to feed the peoples, put away suitcases, make up beds and lo and behold- the sun went down. Rain was forecasted but it was supposed to be light and we'd already had one night of rain and the tent held up fine.

Sooooooo I decided to have a maƱana moment and take care of the tent in the morning. Famous last words, right?.

A wind storm hit after midnight and of course disconnected the side pole. Stuck in between the 7 and 9 year olders (lightening issues caused them to crawl into my bed hours before. Sigh), decided to brazen it out until the morning. Yeah well the morning came minutes later when the rain fly started to peel ALL the way off:sarcastic:. Woke up the teenybopper, threw on some rain ponchos and out into the "dark and stormy night" we went. Fastest side pole adjustment and rain fly put up I ever was involved in :he:.

Wet gear off, teen plops into her bed and falls immediately back to sleep. After readjusting the sleeping potato sacks I crawled back in the middle until 5:30 AM to begin my day.

And what a day! Collapsed tents on abandoned sites and EZ shades in trees up and down the loop. I felt much better about my personal screw up.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X