Tent maintence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent maintence

So I made it out this weekend, and took the big tent. I noticed that I need to replace the guy lines for the awning. They are 3/8" rope I believe, no big deal. Also did a quick duct tape job on the pole bag. So that got me thinking, but I don't want to go down that road right now, so we will go down another.

How much tent maintence do you do? What tent maintence/repairs do you do? And how many do you start to do before you start to wonder if the money you spent on it is worth it?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Tent maintence

I think there are many factors in making that decision including the cost/difficulty of the repair, the age of the tent, and whether you are able financially to replace it at that time. I keep a $6 tent repair kit with me that includes a needle and thread, some strips of mesh, and strips of fabric along with some duct tape,100' spare paracord, carabiners, ratchet straps, bungee cord, and an extra 9 x 12 tarp in case of unexpected tent issues. I have also been known to actually bring a spare tent on car camping trips.

I have heard and seen people allow what I consider minor issues "ruin" camping trips to the point of them leaving to go to a motel and/or cutting there trips short. This over something like a small tear in the mesh screen or a snapped shock cord on a tent pole or a rainfly blowing off during a short storm because it wasn't secured tightly. I'm not allowing anything as trivial as that send me home early and the cost to fix those type things is $20 or less and a short time-out for the repair from what I can see.

If it is something like a tent pole or spike ripped a gash in my tent, I probably would replace the tent before the next trip. I agree that replacing guy lines is an easy fix and not an issue for replacing the entire awning. Duct tape on the pole bag is probably going to lead me to replace only the bag before the next trip. Broken zippers are almost always fixable from what I've experienced but if you tear the fabric around the zipper the tent might get replaced depending on the severity and age of the tent. So, again I think it depends on the overall situation.
    Last edited by Force10JC; 08-05-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

It's a 600 dollar tent, the stakes,could have been better, the rope could of been higher quite. The bag could of been made of canvas, or have a insert placed in the bottom. You just don't "replace" a $600 tent.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yeah, like I said, I think it depends on the overall situation. In the end only you can decide what is right for your situation. I simply told what I would do in my situation which is all I can do. My tent cost $110 on an Amazon Lightning Deal so take my post for what it's worth to you.

Comment

I do my regular tent maintenance in my sister's backyard since she has the space I lack. Generally involves seam seal, sun protection spray, NikWash plus dustpan and broom.

In my experience, a tent, is dead when the fabric is.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
          X