New tent search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tent search

I like my Kelty with big vestibule, but the fiberglass poles are all splitting and several other things are slowly falling apart. I don't think I want another Kelty. This is a 4 person tent and we only use it for the 2 of us, I love the extra space, especially during bad weather. I also love the big vestibule. Another feature I like is that I can stand up in it. So there's my list: 3-4 person, vestibule, aluminum poles, room to stand up, 3-4 season. Like to keep it under $300 if possible. Thanks for your tips!

Re: New tent search

If the other things are readily repairable, tentpoletechnologies.com can make a custom set of aluminum poles. I would imagine it's gotta be cheaper than a new tent.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Tents like you're seeking are available with anodized aluminum poles and vestibules, but these geodesic-dome style tents only have room to stand in the 6-man verions. In the 4-man tents you have to bend over at the shoulders or stand up "on your knees, lol. Those manufacturers include Mountain HardWear, NorthFace, Sierra Designs, Marmot Mountain, Big Agnes, REI, EMS, and A16. We've bought a few in your price point over the years, but weren't stuck on any one of those brands, and buy new-with-tags at auction from Ebay vendors...time consuming and requiring a lot of patience.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The Eureka Copper Canyon 4 tent runs around $300 and has a 7 foot peak height. But the rainfly on it is horrible - like zero sideways protection. The Big Agnes Big House 4 offers much better protection, also around $300, but the peak height is only 5 foot 8 inches. Not exactly stretching room, but I've had tents about that height and, even at 6 foot even, I've managed to deal with the slight stooping to get dressed.

Comment

You guys are like serious tent experts. These companies should start sending you freebies to review.

Comment

I don't know about "expert". It's just years of camping and owning a lot of gear over the years. The Internet and the relative ease in which you can find information might play a small part in it. :p

But I definitely agree that they should send me gear to test and review!

Comment

Hey mdicarlo - agree with the others that finding a 3-4 person tent you can stand up in may be a problem as there aren't too many of those around (the smaller sq ft footprints in those 3-4P sizes make it hard to get enough standing vertical interior height).

One option would be the REI Kingdom 4. Footprint size is 8'4" by 8'x4" with a 6'3" vertical interior height. Retail price is $389...but if you're a member of REI's coop (if not, a $20 cost for lifetime membership) you can generally get this tent for 25% off periodically throughout the year (25% off would bring it down to $291.75...within your $300 budget).

You may also find some value in this recent thread - http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...an-stand-up-in

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately decided.

Brian - a65hoosier
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                I don't know about "expert". It's just years of camping and owning a lot of gear over the years. The Internet and the relative ease in which you can find information might play a small part in it. :p

But I definitely agree that they should send me gear to test and review!
                I have spent a ton of time researching the web but only have about a year of actual camping experience. You'd be surprised what resources are available on the web if you are diligent. Just be discerning about what you see and read. Facts can be interpreted differently by everybody so some items may be wonderful for someone else but then not so much for you. I will add that the long-time campers here on this site really do seem to know what's what.

Comment

A really nice tent is the ALPS Mountain Design Meramac 5. It is over six feet high and has an 8'X10' footprint. It is very well made. Aluminum poles. Heavy duty zippers. Great rain protection and good ventilation. Easy set up. $128 on Amazon

Last edited by Mike; 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    A really nice tent is the ALPS Mountain Design Meramac 5. It is over six feet high and has an 8'X10' footprint. It is very well made. Aluminum poles. Heavy duty zippers. Great rain protection and good ventilation. Easy set up. $128 on Amazon

I like Alps Mountaineering tents. Decent quality and good value.

I think the Alps Meramac 5 you referenced comes with fiberglass poles. Within the Alps tent lineup (for larger tents) I believe you have to move up into their "Oufitters" tent line to get aluminum pole sets: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...utfitter-tents

Of course, moving to aluminum poles increases the tent price.

My son's Boy Scout troop uses ALPS Taurus 4P Outfitters tents with aluminum poles (they bought 40 of them). Solidly built. Good durable quality materials with good waterproof ratings. The 4P model the scouts use is not quite tall enough for me to stand in (I'm 5'10").

Both the Taurus Outfitter 5P model and the Meramac 5 ZF FG5 Outfitter model come with aluminum pole sets, have the 6' interior height, and 2 doors. The Taurus model also provides a full coverage rainfly and two vestibules (the Meramac 5 ZF uses a ridge pole to create awnings over the doors).

The Taurus Outfitter 5P is $310 via Amazon (probably can find for less if you look around). http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...=alps+taurus+5
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

oops...found another tent that might meet your requirements. I do not own it, but I believe there is another member here that picked this one up recently. Overall positive ratings out there on the net.

This is the Mountainsmith Conifer 5+ person. http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/conifer-5-plus.html

10' x 10' footprint. 6'2" interior height. 2 doors. 2 vestibules (the front door vestibule is a huge 33 sq ft...the rear is smaller), YKK zippers, three 7000 series aluminum poles form the sturdy dome structure.

Fabrics and waterproof ratings: Fly-185T Poly PU2000MM F/R, Tent-185T Breathable Poly F/R, and Floor-190td Poly PU5000mm F/R.

You can generally find this tent around $250 (currently Amazon has it for $246). You might find it even less than that if you can look around and have some time before purchase.
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                        I will add that the long-time campers here on this site really do seem to know what's what.
                        Except me. :winktongue:

I'm 51 and have been camping regularly for exactly 51 years. Since birth. lol

All of my childhood, we camped in the same Coleman canvas tent. For 20 or so years of my adulthood, we camped in the same Coleman cabin tent (after retiring the canvas that my parents gave to me.)

I did buy a couple of smaller dome Colemans over the past 15 years or so for quick overnight trips. I've never owned anything other than a Coleman until now and have a Bushnell on order. I know absolutely nothing about the expensive brands. We would still be using the Coleman cabin if it had not been destroyed by abuse (not by me) so I can't blame the tent.

Basically the same story with other gear. I still use the gas lantern from my childhood, a red Coleman made in 1965, and the same stove. My parents made the move to a truck camper when I was in my teens, and later a motorhome, so I started adulthood with all their stuff. I did buy a dual-fuel Coleman at some point, but no longer have that.

Recently, I was faced with the need to buy a new cooler and ended up going with ... you guessed it, a Coleman.

I've never owned any expensive gear and know absolutely nothing about it. The same old stuff has worked forever so don't have any reason to change. I have looked briefly at propane stuff as that seems to be what everyone is using these days. I just never have made the leap since my white gas stuff is reliable.

Comment

I wouldn't let the Alps fiberglass poles steer you away from a decent tent. I bought a Meramac 4 and had it out last trip. The poles are fiberglass but they're beefier than any that came with the Colemans or Eurekas I've owned.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 09-12-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Was just going to post that one! http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-..._cd_ql_qh_dp_i
                            It answers all my requirements and has pretty good reviews.

Comment

I've been camping for 50 years (also since birth) LOL. I am from Europe and my family would camp every summer for at least 3 weeks. Here's my current setup:

The Big Agnes is a little more expensive than the mountainsmith, but very similar design. http://www.campsaver.com/tensleep-st...son-3-season-1

Last edited by mdicarlo; 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X