Rainy day question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy day question

I've been lurking and learning here for a little while. The question I have is a simple one I suppose. During rainy days how do you set up your tents .Is that what a Noah's tarp primary use is ? Any practical advise would be appreciated.

Re: Rainy day question

Topping so the experts can respond (I just park my clipper).
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The only time I have encountered rain during setup, we just waited the storm out in the truck. I guess you could setup your tarp first and use it for shelter from the rain.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        The only time I have encountered rain during setup, we just waited the storm out in the truck. I guess you could setup your tarp first and use it for shelter from the rain.
        What he said minus the truck.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If you are car camping, take a nap in the car until the rain let's up, then set up the tent. Avoid setting up on puddles.
          Last edited by Mike; 09-27-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

If I'm reasonably sure the rain will stop soon, I'll wait in the truck. But, since I'm no better than any meteorologist, I usually go ahead and grab the rain suit, put up my tarp and start setting things up. My only advice for doing that is to make sure your tarp is set up so that it doesn't catch rain and won't dump water where it'll run into or under your tent. It can get tricky, especially with larger tarps. A high ridge line and steep slopes is the key.

Comment

I just set up the tent and drape a cheap tarp over it. If my tent is a Coleman, that is.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Gamiller View Post
                I've been lurking and learning here for a little while. The question I have is a simple one I suppose. During rainy days how do you set up your tents .Is that what a Noah's tarp primary use is ? Any practical advise would be appreciated.
                In our 3 trips so far this season, we have experienced a lot of rain ranging from a light mist to a torrential downpour but not during actual tent setup. We have done nothing additional to our Coleman tents when it rains or threatens rain. We did seal all seams on both tents and the canopy prior to ever having used them on an actual camping trip and regardless of manufacturer's claims of rain resistance of these products. We also bring extra tarps and lots of paracord just in case but have never had to use them. Aside from that we do bring rain gear with us and card/board games to play but the rain has not stopped us from staying dry or having a good time.
                Last edited by Force10JC; 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

We've never set up in the rain. Can't even remember having to wait it out.

I do LOVE rain once the tent is set up though. Nothing better than chilling in a tent in the rain.

Comment

I love rainy camps. And, yes, I will set up the tent in just about any weather. I do, however, pay attention and use extra care if I'm packing up a wet tent (and, actually, I've extended trips to avoid doing so and to let the tent dry out). I don't have a special rain tarp. I just stick to tents with high sides and I am freakishly picky about placement and making sure the ground is prepped if I expect rain.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
                      X