Senior Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Adventure

Hi to All Members, I am new to this forum, but from what I have read this forum has so much info. to help others and nice members to boot.
    Me and my wife have made plans to tent camp for awhile. We currently live in Kentucky, but that will change very soon. We are going to end up in Colorado around the Salida, Gunnison and Pitkin area. We are going to be using a Kodiak Canvas Tent 10X10. We are both in our 60's but we feel very energetic and motivated to make this trip. Even though I have read many of your suggestions you've posted, I would appreciate some responses to my question's if you will so kindly do.
    What type of sleeping bags to you recommend for the Colorado winter and would you sleep on a pad or a cot? In general, I would appreciate any comments that you can make pertaining to our camping needs for this adventure.
    I look forward to being a member of this forum.

James & Deb

Re: Senior Adventure

Topping for the tent camping experts.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Well, provided I live in CO and have camped in those area's, let me take a stab at your questions. Unless it's the dead of summer, I would invest in a big buddy heater for your Kodiak. Yes it is the end of Sept, but the temps in those area's are already getting into the mid 40's. I use pads. Don't skimp here. I really like my Xped mega mat. It is as comfortable as my bed at home. You can't put a price on a good night's sleep. I am not a big fan of cots. To unstable for my tastes. I will leave the whole "heat sink" rant for a certain someone else.
      Bags I use Teton Sports Bags. Good quality bags that are not very expensive. 0 degree bags, or lower for winter camping. If I were to go camping in winter, I would have my Kodiak, my buddy heater, my xped mega mat and my Teton sports bags. I still don't know if I would try to camp in the winter in the mountains.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm currently looking at a bag sold by Cabelas. It's a -35 rating. Employee told me their sleeping bags were made by Alps Mountaineering. I checked them out and they seem to have a good rating for sleeping bags. Going to buy something in the next couple days. Going to be leaving here very soon.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        Well, provided I live in CO and have camped in those area's, let me take a stab at your questions. Unless it's the dead of summer, I would invest in a big buddy heater for your Kodiak. Yes it is the end of Sept, but the temps in those area's are already getting into the mid 40's. I use pads. Don't skimp here. I really like my Xped mega mat. It is as comfortable as my bed at home. You can't put a price on a good night's sleep. I am not a big fan of cots. To unstable for my tastes. I will leave the whole "heat sink" rant for a certain someone else.
        Bags I use Teton Sports Bags. Good quality bags that are not very expensive. 0 degree bags, or lower for winter camping. If I were to go camping in winter, I would have my Kodiak, my buddy heater, my xped mega mat and my Teton sports bags. I still don't know if I would try to camp in the winter in the mountains.

Comment

Good advice. I truly appreciate this info.

Comment

For the locale you'll be camping at I might give up my air mattress and cots (sacre bleu!:D) and use quality sleeping pads under my sleeping bags. Currently I'm a warm weather car camper so will defer to others for actual recommendations. Cueing tplife's entrance.........:he:

Definitely go with Kingquad's thunk on a heater.

I will say that if I wanted to camp with a cot in cold weather, I'd find this guy's youtube vid intriguing:

https://youtu.be/7JOi4sRvsCE

Have fun out there!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey NYCgrrl,
              Thanks for the info. I don't plan on using a cot. We're going to use pads, but we haven't picked one out yet. But We will keep your comments in mind.

Thanks,
              James

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              For the locale you'll be camping at I might give up my air mattress and cots (sacre bleu!:D) and use quality sleeping pads under my sleeping bags. Currently I'm a warm weather car camper so will defer to others for actual recommendations. Cueing tplife's entrance.........:he:

Definitely go with Kingquad's thunk on a heater.

I will say that if I wanted to camp with a cot in cold weather, I'd find this guy's youtube vid intriguing:

https://youtu.be/7JOi4sRvsCE

Have fun out there!

Comment

I love my air mattresses for comfort, but even in FL, I have to put a foam pad on top to keep from freezing to death. In winter, I would avoid them at all costs. I wish I could advise on other gear, but I am a cold sissy and won't even camp in the winter here in Florida. Without a doubt, you will need a heater - and proper ventilation unless it's electric kind.

IF I were brave enough to do this, I would find out what kind of sleeping bags climbers use when they are attempting Mount Everest. That is what I would get. I would spare no expense. Colorado may not be as cold as Everest, but I'm betting to the novice, it's going to feel like it.

Best of luck and looking forward to pictures and stories of your adventures.

Comment

I offer to you the advice I got from Colin Fletcher (14 March 1922 – 12 June 2007): a self-inflating sleeping pad (by MegaMat, ThermaRest, REI, EMS), or as a substitute, thick open-cell foam or futon, to keep you from freezing when temps drop below 50-degrees F. Check for the R-value rating on the pad you buy: it should be 5.0 or greater to be thermal-neutral. Cots and big air mattresses are R-rated at 0.75, meaning, the heat is sucked right out of you while you sleep on it. Pads on top don't really change the R-value, you must replace those big open cold air spaces with solid ground under your pad. A heater is another option but has its own hazards inside a tent - your Kodiak tent is a robust canvas model that should be applicable to a Buddy heater paired with a CO detector. Keep in mind that it takes a LOT of additional insulation to compensate for the poor insulating quality of a cot or hollow-tube air mattress. Synthetic sleeping bags, from a quality manufacturer (Sierra Designs, Mountain HardWear, REI, EMS, A16, Marmot, Northface, Big Agnes), typically are rated correctly when you consider they mean no moving air, i.e.; inside a tent. A down bag is an expensive alternative that, while more costly, is cheaper in the long run as a quality down bag will last a lifetime with normal care.
                  Last edited by tplife; 09-28-2015, 04:37 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                    I love my air mattresses for comfort, but even in FL, I have to put a foam pad on top to keep from freezing to death. In winter, I would avoid them at all costs. I wish I could advise on other gear, but I am a cold sissy and won't even camp in the winter here in Florida. Without a doubt, you will need a heater - and proper ventilation unless it's electric kind.

IF I were brave enough to do this, I would find out what kind of sleeping bags climbers use when they are attempting Mount Everest. That is what I would get. I would spare no expense. Colorado may not be as cold as Everest, but I'm betting to the novice, it's going to feel like it.

Best of luck and looking forward to pictures and stories of your adventures.

Thanks for your info. I understand what your saying about loving your mattress. I was born and raised in Florida and left the State in 1996 to pursue other dreams.

Comment

Hi Ozzmoe!

Lots of good advice so far. Here's mine:

I'd look into getting a Buddy Heater (and CO detector) as others have stated. The Kodiak has the ability to vent easily and the spacing requirements to make the use of a Buddy "safer". If using one makes you nervous and you have electricity available...then a small electric heater will do.

Lacking a heat source, I would definitely invest in quality gear for your sleep system. It is not a fun trip if one or both of you spend a cold restless night. For a pad, look for R-values at least over 5.0, self inflating, filled with an insulating material such as open cell foam. Not cheap, but lifetime warranties on the top brands gives some piece of mind.

It may be overkill, but on my cold camping trips, I put a thick 100% wool blanket on the floor of my tent then use a closed cell foam pad (Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite R-value of 2.8) under my open cell foam pad (Therm-a-Rest Luxury MAP R-value of 6.8). This provides a combined value of 9.6. I feel absolutely no cold creeping up from the ground. Both my wife and I sleep fine regardless of outside temps. lol...getting out of a warm bag in the morning...well, that's a whole different thing.

I use a down mummy style bag rated to 10 degrees. You can purchase sleeping bag liners that add another 5-8 degrees to the temperature rating of your bag if needed. But if you're buying new, just get a good bag rated about 10-20+ degrees less than your expected temps. Be aware that women typically sleep "colder" than men. You might be fine in your bag at 32 degree temps...your wife might be cold in the same bag. Also, the bag should "fit" you somewhat. Putting a petite sized person in a giant bag will be less warm than if they were in a smaller, closer fitting bag. The trick is to find the "right" size bag for you and your sleeping style...and the conditions you'll be sleeping in. Don't be afraid to test out different bags in the store and you may find that each of you like a different bag.

I would also come up with "sleeping clothes/pj's". Typically polypro (or merino wool) top/bottom, wool socks, and night time head gear (balaclava, beanie, etc.). We use these clothes only for sleeping. They stay cleaner and the inside of your sleeping bag stays cleaner longer.

There are other simple things and tricks you can utilize:

1. Eat before bed - give your body proper fuel.
                      2. Empty your bladder - it takes extra energy to keep a bladder of fluid warm.
                      3. Exercise a bit - we walk before bed...usually a combined trip with 2. above.

4. Heat water and put in a water bottle and throw it down inside your sleeping bag. Obviously make sure the top seals real well. It will stay hot for hours. If it's too hot down by your feet, wrap it in a sock. You can even utilize chemical style hand/body warmers on really cold nights. Open the pack, shake it, let it heat up and toss a couple into your sleeping bag.

There's other good advice in threads throughout the forum. Search "cold weather camping" and variants.

Good luck! Please do keep us posted about your travels and experiences. Pictures are always welcome!!!
                      Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-29-2015, 05:48 PM.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

James - thought of another question. How do you plan to cook? What stove and fuel type are you planning on using?
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My experience with sleeping bag ratings is that, even from top tier manufacturers, they can be optimistic by as much as 20 degrees (F). Keep in mind too that some people sleep hot, and others cold. Even cold weather you want good ventilation in your tent, and that means a certain amount of air movement.

Hard to beat down for a cold-weather sleeping system.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply but I have been trying to get everything packed up and stored in the Storage Unit that we won't be taking with us. At this moment, I plan on cooking on my two-burner Coleman Stove and the Fireplace with my Grill Grate. I have this two place electric burner unit that I might use if there is electric at my site available. As you know I will be using the propane fuel, and wood for my fuel sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzmoe View Post
                              Sorry for the slow reply but I have been trying to get everything packed up and stored in the Storage Unit that we won't be taking with us. At this moment, I plan on cooking on my two-burner Coleman Stove and the Fireplace with my Grill Grate. I have this two place electric burner unit that I might use if there is electric at my site available. As you know I will be using the propane fuel, and wood for my fuel sources.
                              Nothing wrong with "slow replies". Just means you are absorbing info and getting on with RL.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X