two Thermarest products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two Thermarest products

I've purchased a couple of Thermarest products. One is the relatively inexpensive foam "RidgeRest Classic." I like it because it was cheaper, it doesn't need to be inflated, and will never leak.

But, it's not so "thick" and I thought I'd try a self-inflating model (Camo Scout) which also has a bit better R value. So, I took it out of its packaging and opened the valve to let it self-inflate. After 10 minutes, not much was happening, so I read the brochure and it stated that it takes a while for the first inflation, and even recommends leaving it inflated between uses. So I'm thinking if that's the case, why bother with it as it will be bigger than the Ridgerest if left inflated. I checked after 75 minutes and it's somewhat inflated the first 18 inches near the valve, but not much inflation noted after that.

So how long should I be waiting for this initial "self inflation?" Right now I can't even say it's inflated enough to make a comparison with the RidgeRest.

Thanks! Ted aka isoc
    Last edited by isoc; 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM.

Re: two Thermarest products

If it's not inflated to where you think it shouold be within a half hour (at most) I would just blow air into it and then twist the value shut. Some of mine are like that.
    Moss Big Dipper
    Alaskan Guide 8
    Alaskan Guide 6
    NorthFace Tadpole 23
    ALPS Exteme 3
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

OK, thanks!

Comment

I store my self inflating pads under my bed when not in use. Lets them be fully inflated without taking up room. I also do not store my sleeping bags in the stuff sack or rolled up. Keep them opened up so the insulation won't be compressed.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          I store my self inflating pads under my bed when not in use. Lets them be fully inflated without taking up room. I also do not store my sleeping bags in the stuff sack or rolled up. Keep them opened up so the insulation won't be compressed.
          Thanks for the suggestions! As I will be car-tent camping, and I have a Dodge Durango, I don't actually need to make things compressed-as-possible, anyhow. - Ted

Comment

When I start getting ready to go camping, I get the pads out and roll them up tightly into their stuff sacks. Same with the sleeping bags. Then I take them out as I get to camp. At longest, they are rolled up for 24 hours, but that would very if you are going on a vacation, where you are breaking camp every day.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

If new pads haven't fully expanded after an hour or two, I would top them off by blowing into them and shut the valve. Let them sit for a couple of days like that to allow the foam interior to fully expand (you don't know how long they've been sitting in a warehouse rolled tight and compressed). Test them out afterwards by rolling them back up tightly and then reopen the valve and let them expand. If they don't expand properly, then I would take it back. It's normal to have to add a couple of quick puffs of air into them at the campsite to get them fully expanded. Then, when I lay down on it for the night, I will reopen the valve and let out some air to find my comfort level.

Reiterating Kingquad's comments....(he's right on target with his advice):

For longterm storage (in between camp trips), try to store your pads unrolled and with the valve open. Longterm, this allows the foam interior to "memorize" itself in the preferred expanded state. Think under the bed, behind the couch, etc. Be creative. I leave all 3 of mine unrolled, valve open, on the top shelf in my camp gear storage area in the house. If the pads you have do not have insulating material inside, then this is not as big of a deal.

It's perfectly fine to compress and roll them tight when you are prepping/packing for a camping trip. Leaving them compressed for a few days prior to a trip won't hurt them and won't cause the foam to loose it's expanded state "memory".

The same holds true for your sleeping bags. Never store longterm in a tightly compressed state. Hang them in a closet. Or if you lack the space, lightly put them into an oversized cotton laundry or mesh bag and hang them up somewhere. The reasoning is the same as it is for the pads...you want the insulating material inside to not be stored longterm in a tightly compacted state. Tight packing may save some space in the house, but it doesn't really help the lofting ability of the insulation and it will damage the item over a period of time.

Following the above will allow you to get many many years of reliable service from your investment in a quality pad and sleeping bag.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the detailed advice, a65hoosier!

I inflated it last evening, let it sit overnight, and then added a few puffs this morning, and it seems OK now. My wife and I even gave it a "test drive" this morning by using it on the relatively hard floor of our Florida Room, and with a sleeping bag, we felt warm and comfortable enough, even though the outside air coming in the window was 50 F and the room itself was about 20 F cooler than the house.

- Ted
                Last edited by isoc; 10-01-2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Now to hijack my own OP with another question and comment:

I plan to apply seam seal to my tent today (it stopped raining at last and I can set it up again). While browsing tent reviews at Amazon someone suggested "Camp Dry", too. I plan to use the seam seal, which I will do first regardless. However, reading the label of the Camp Dry, it's for canvas and leather primarily, and I wonder if it is superfluous to use it on my non-canvas tent, or maybe even detrimental.

And the more I think about it, the more I am thinking of getting the Evanston 6, it's bigger, and I like the little screened entry. It will take a bit more to set up, but might be well worth it. I'd keep the Sundome 4 for any time I go on my own to a remote observing site with my telescope, but the Evanston 6 looks better for two.

And, keeping with my astronomy experience, the accessories are adding up to more than the tent! In astronomy, it's not just the telescope: one can soon spend much more on quality eyepieces, filters, cameras, dew shields and heaters, etc. One of our club members built his own telescope for about $35 by grinding his own mirror, then he spent $150 for his first eyepiece!

Any comments welcome.

Later, Ted
                  Last edited by isoc; 10-01-2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: correct the grammar

Comment

isoc,

Use blue can. Their websites lists this product for tents.

http://www.kiwicampdry.com/performan...protector.aspx

Yes, the Evanston 6 will be bigger than the Coleman Sundome 4 since it is made for 6 people versus the 4 of the Sundome.

Comment

Ahhh! A "Blue Can" product... Thanks.

Comment

If you plan on getting a lot of seasons out of your tent, you might reconsider any type of spray coating. Most seam sealing is done with a tube and a small paintbrush, as you only want to seal the non-waterproof portions of your tent (threads and their holes). The waterproof coatings on your tent are sealed into the fabric to permanently bond. Spray-on coatings have a tendency to de-laminate over time due to UV exposure. What you get is a small snowstorm and a very ugly tent.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I agree with tplife. It is more time consuming but applying sealer with a brush or foam applicator is more effective at getting into and sealing small pin holes especially where they may have stretched larger at thread seams.

Comment

Thanks y'all! I took out the can of waterproof coating from my cart just in time. At home, I had applied some seam sealer, thinking it will have time to dry before any rain. Sure enough, 3 hours later, it's raining. Tent is still dry inside, as expected, but I don't want to take it down in the rain, but looking at the forecast, it looks like the rain will stop for a few hours this evening, and I'll take it down and let it dry inside my Florida Room.

Thanks, Ted

Comment

I have never been impressed with Thermarest products. They are bulky, heavy, expensive, and inconvenient, and not all that great in use.

Like some folks here said, you can blow air into the mattress to fill it up, but the moisture from your breath will not come out of the pad when you deflate it and eventually, that moisture will rot inside the pad. IF you are going to inflate the pad by breathing into it, cover the air intake nozzle with a sham-wow or with your T-shirt and blow through that to absorb some of the moisture from your breath.

FYI, the best air mattress by far are produced by Exped. They are not really much more expensive than Thermarest, but the Exped are much more reliable, more comfortable, lighter, more compact, and a lot faster to inflate.
                              Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X