What is this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thing?

I tried to add this to a thread, but I couldn't attach the image, so had to start another.

While setting up my tent this morning I found this on a tie down. I have no idea what that black plastic thing is or does. I just used a clove hitch to attach the line to the stake, but I am curious as to what purpose that black plastic piece has. I'm still trying to get used to how this forum works, so I had to attach an image of it.

Thanks, Ted
    Attached Files

Re: What is this thing?

To me it looks like a 3 hole guy line tensioner. Not exactly clear where you found this tied on...
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

It's definitely a 3-hole tensioner. To this day I've never figured out how they're supposed to work. I've had more than a few of the two-hole kind, just never did figure out how to thread the threes. Then again, I never cared enough to find out. LOL

Comment

I JUST learned how to use these when watching one of the videos someone posted on the "fear of bears" thread.

Go to the 4:15 spot on this video.
        Last edited by MountainMama; 10-02-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks, a65Hoosier and MacGyver, I thought it had something to do with tension on the tie down, but I couldn't figure out HOW it would ever help, so just used the clove hitches, which I knew would work.

Now that I know what it is I found this YouTube video which is a fairly good demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2_Hje_zCU

- Ted

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
            I JUST learned how to use these when watching one of the videos someone posted on the "fear of bears" thread.

Go to the 4:15 spot on this video.
            Oh thank goodness I'm NOT the only one who can say that out loud. This summer brought on an epiphany :D.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Better than a plastic or metal tension devise is a simple tautline hitch knot.

The reason that a tautline hitch is better than the plastic or metal tension gadget is because those plastic or metal gadgets tent to wear holes in your tent as you roll and store your tent.

Also, if you know how to tie a tautline hitch, you will always have this wonderful tool available to you at any time you have a string or rope. A taughline hitch knot can adjust position just like a tension gadget.

from this website: http://www.charlie-mitchell.com/life/knot.shtml

Or see youtube": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5NTjUyubvE
              Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the knot-lesson. That looks familiar to me, I think I used a hitch like that on occasion when I tied a boat to a post at a dock (40 years ago). And the tensioner, once I looked at it in use, looked like a tensioner I had on my sailboat's "outhaul" which adjusted tension on the foot (bottom) of the mainsail. Hadn't thought of that in 40 years, either.

Best regards, Ted

Comment

If you put thetaught line hitch up by the tent you won't have to been down to the stake to tighten your guy life
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Those tensioners are on both my Coleman tents. I do use them and they work well enough. For my hammock rain fly and ridgeline I always use a taut line hitch on one end and a half hitch on the other. I do the same for rigging a clothes line.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                      Those tensioners are on both my Coleman tents. I do use them and they work well enough. For my hammock rain fly and ridgeline I always use a taut line hitch on one end and a half hitch on the other. I do the same for rigging a clothes line.
                      Good thinking. IF your safety depends on it, a taught line hitch knot is more reliable than a fabricated tension doohicky.

Comment

Have you ever tried a trucker's hitch for your ridge line? You can really exert a lot of force to tighten it up. Moreover, you can tie a quick release with it as well.
                        Moss Big Dipper
                        Alaskan Guide 8
                        Alaskan Guide 6
                        NorthFace Tadpole 23
                        ALPS Exteme 3
                        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                          Have you ever tried a trucker's hitch for your ridge line? You can really exert a lot of force to tighten it up. Moreover, you can tie a quick release with it as well.
                          Yes, you are correct. With a trucker's hitch it is probably possible to ruin your hammock if you applied too much tension... which a strong 250 lb man could surely do.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                            I don't know the trucker's hitch, or maybe I do but don't know it by that name. I can and often do rig a taut line hitch for a quick release. When you pull that last loop all the way through, pull the end through and leave it dangling instead of the closed loop. When you want to release, just pull the dangling end.

Comment

Working...
                            X