More Tent Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Tent Questions

I've got both the Coleman Sundome 4 and the Coleman Evanston 6 Screened.

I've set them both up to see what I think, and will use the Sundome for when I am at remote astronomy observing sites on my own, and the Evanston 6 for my wife and me to camp.

I've read or skimmed almost every review on Amazon, and read lots of threads here, not just the ones I started. But I am still thinking after doing that that I want to know more before we set out next Spring.

For the Evanston, the screened "porch" is very nice, and I can imagine it being very useful. At night I plan to tarp over the screen, to make it more secluded, and put the Luggable Loo out there.

But I'm also interested in some feedback here as to just how this tent will hold heat in cool weather (it's cool in the Spring). Even if I zip up the screened areas that have a flap, there is a large screened window in the back that has no flap. I'm considering, if it's cold/cool (and my wife is from the Philippines, so her idea of cold/cool is different than mine), placing a tarp or blanket over that screen in the back, underneath the rain flap, as there are still large windows on the sides, as well as an open screen at the peak, to allow circulation if it got too humid. This is where I need feedback. Is putting a tarp over that back screen a really bogus idea?

I read one review at Amazon from a couple who found it bitterly cold in their Evanston Tent at night in July. However, they were also at about 9500' elevation, and I don't think they were prepared for the tent to get cold due to the elevation. I would have brought some extra blankets and used a cool or cold weather sleeping bag. But their Amazon feedback provided no information on how they prepared, just that the tent was cold. And I imagine it was.

I understand that an airtight tent is a bad idea, as condensation on the inside of the tent will occur when it's cold. Also, I'll run my Buddy Heater in the evening and morning, but not at night, to provide a little heat.

But switching to the opposite viewpoint, if it's August, humid and 80 F at night, we want maximum ventilation and it seems the Evanston with all window flaps open will provide that. Hot and humid is more OK with my wife than with me, but she's from the Philippines, and her idea of hot and humid is different than mine!

I'm thinking of getting one of these for the warmer weather:

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Bat...0_SR136%2C160_

And 12 volt power is no problem as I have one of these for my telescope:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-1877...ron+power+tank

Thanks all for your many comments and encouragement! - Ted
    Attached Files
    Last edited by isoc; 10-14-2015, 09:24 PM.

Re: More Tent Questions

Is it a bogus idea? Prolly not. I don't think it will make much of a difference in terms of warmth. A field test is in order!
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The couple I mentioned who camped at 9500' seemed to think they were cold because that window could not be closed, while I think that even if less cold air would enter, the tent would still be cold. Reading the review it sounds like they didn't set up the tent at home first and were surprised at 9500' that there was no way to close that window unless one does something to "supplement" the tent with a tarp. Many of the negative reviews of the tent mention how the screened porch let in the rain on the porch. Cowabunga! How could that surprise them?

Comment

I would never buy a tent with a screened room, as they leak like a seive and can't accomodate a full-coverage rainfly anyway. In cold weather, it's more of an area for heat to leak out. In hot, humid weather, a full-fly tent typically has vestibules that can be fully opened to allow the mesh panels to breath. In a nutshell, Coleman doesn't make tents anyway and what they sell doesn't meet our functional needs. Their designs have poor wind and rain integrity, which is critical out here in the West. Your predictable weather and seasonal choices may mean your Coleman's fit the bill without a big budget hit, and that is important if you want to update other gear or simply not lay out serious $$$.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

tplife, I guess you don't like Coleman products. :aww: The favorable reviews of the Evanston Screened 6 all like the screened room a lot, and I don't expect it to be a rain free area.

Comment

I think a lot of it comes down to knowing the limitations of what you have and how to either overcome them or learn to live with them. Some things you must experience as no amount of questions and answers are going to do it for everyone. Every single trip I make I find at least one thing I no longer need to bring and one thing I don't have that could be put to good use. Sooner or later you just have to get out there and camp.

Comment

Re: cold and blocking screened tent windows;
              I rarely camp, locally, below 9,000 feet and snow in June is not uncommon.
              Clear plastic from Walmart or a fabric store can often be used to improve (block up) screened window and roof ventilation.
              changing many tents from screen rooms into useful, wind and rain resistant, much warmer shelters.
              Be careful to leave adequate ventilation if you use an oxygen consuming device (heater/lantern) in the tent.

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                Re: cold and blocking screened tent windows;
                I rarely camp, locally, below 9,000 feet and snow in June is not uncommon.
                Clear plastic from Walmart or a fabric store can often be used to improve (block up) screened window and roof ventilation.
                changing many tents from screen rooms into useful, wind and rain resistant, much warmer shelters.
                Be careful to leave adequate ventilation if you use an oxygen consuming device (heater/lantern) in the tent.

Enjoy!
                Happy Joe, as soon as I read your reply I remembered I have a roll of Visqueen in the crawl space area under the part of my house where the builders decided not to complete the basement. I'll set up the tent and see what I can fabricate so I'll have it ready if needed. Thanks, Ted
                Last edited by isoc; 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

You are welcome!

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

After trimming the Visqueen and getting some clamps, I was able to cover the screened area in question. However, once the rain fly is in place, and if it's tied down close to the tent, the improvement would, indeed, be subtle. Glad I set up the tent and tried it, or I would have wondered about that for the next several months.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by isoc View Post

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Bat...0_SR136%2C160_

Thanks all for your many comments and encouragement! - Ted
                      "It's a beauteous fan!" said the woman who needs moving air.

I started with the Coleman fan light to save storage space and quickly opted into the Cool2 line. It does what a fan is supposed to.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I bought a couple of the O2Cool fans for this summer's family car camping trips. Ran them off my battery set-up instead of the required 8D cells per fan. Loved the fans---both at the picnic table and in the tent. Perfect for hot, humid days/nights with no wind.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, y'all, for the OK on the O2Cool fans!

Comment

ELECTRIC FANS????

What's with you sissies?

Daniel Boone didn't have ELECTRIC FANS.

Just kidding, of course.
                            Last edited by Mike; 10-16-2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              ELECTRIC FANS????

What's with you sissies?

Daniel Boone didn't have ELECTRIC FANS.

Just kidding, of course.
                              That's right!
                              Whyyyyyyyy he prolly dinna even have a Bowie knife?!?
                              D:

Let's just say that if Mama dinna have a fan EVERYONE would be unhappy and anddd it would be on purpose......
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X