Making a Hinged Door???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Hinged Door???

I really like the idea of a hinged door like Coleman has put on their tents. Does anyone think it might be feasible to somehow make any standard D door into a hinged door?? If so, how do you think it should be done?

Re: Making a Hinged Door???

If you have some sewing skills it could certainly be done. If you ever get a chance to look at one of those doors I don't think you'll have a problem figuring it out.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
      If you have some sewing skills it could certainly be done. If you ever get a chance to look at one of those doors I don't think you'll have a problem figuring it out.
      What Irate said. You'll need a heavyweight yet bendable s/s or brass wire on a spool. Somewhere between 12-16 gauge? I'd guesstimate you want at least 4 yards. Also a polyester twill zipper with metal teeth sold by the yard. Make sure it a weatherproof version. If it's made by YKK and has a nice head you should be good to go.
      Keep in mind that these type of closures are not all that easy to fix in the field.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of adapting an already existing D style door. Strips of velcro to hold a long, but thin shock corded pole (for easiy removal and storage) along the zipper's edge. Then additional tabs of velcro on the wall of the tent to keep the door shut when not zippered. Anyone seen what Coleman has done? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5GKFV0L98

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this sort of thing.

Comment

I haven't tried a hinged tent door but I wouldn't think they would be all that difficult, except possibly sealing them to the tent when closed, I have an advantage as there are few pesky bugs where I camp. (possibly look into the thin rubber magnets for this)
          ... Or perhapse something like this;
          http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-...-Door/26765729
          ...just a suggestion for investigation, the user evaluations were not great on this product.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-31-2015, 08:48 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Solotreker View Post
            I really like the idea of a hinged door like Coleman has put on their tents. Does anyone think it might be feasible to somehow make any standard D door into a hinged door?? If so, how do you think it should be done?
            While it seems like a very cool feature at first, do some thinking about the practical consequences before going for it.

It seems like a hinged door might be somewhat of a con in bug country. All that unnecessary space opens to allow bugs in and heat /cold in or out, if you are using any kind of temperature control.

Slithering in and out of the zipper is a much better idea in most instances. The only usefulness I can think of for a hinged door is for someone with disabilities. Although, my 30 year old paraplegic son handles tent zippers just fine, wheelchair and all. He is an avid back country camper where he rides four wheelers on the trails and has no tent modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X