Fiberglass Pole replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Pole replacement question

I have a Coleman Oasis 6 that I got dirt cheap ($60) about 8 years ago. It only sees about 3 or 4 weekends worth of use each year, and it's held up pretty well so far. This past weekend on a scout trip, one of the pole sections snapped. When breaking camp, I noticed that a few others were showing similar signs of starting to bend/crack. I went to Amazon and they had a kit with 4 pole segments fo about $6, so I ordered 4 of them figuring on replacing the poles entirely and using the best segments from the old poles to make one complete spare pole (this tent is only used for car camping, so I'm not concerned about the weight of another pole).

Now, the question is: the original poles have 11 segments that are 22" long (total length 242"). The replacements are 27" long. I'm not loving the idea of cutting 22 separate pole segments, so I'm thinking of leaving them uncut, calculating that it will take just 9 27" segments to make a pole of equivalent length: 242". I can't imagine that one extra inch at that length is going to make a huge difference.

Now, I haven't measured the tent's storage bag to see if it will accommodate 27" long poles, but even if it doesn't, that's not a huge deal. I already use bungee cords to strap a tarp around the packed tent, and that could easily hold the poles on the outside of the bag as well.

So, is there any particular reason I shouldn't try it this way? Any argument for cutting all the segments down to the original length?

Re: Fiberglass Pole replacement question

I would just trim one or all to length; domes are often quite sensitive to pole length and an extra inch or 2 could create issues, (I use an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel, takes seconds, but a hacksaw will likely work).
    Cutting the pole sections is relatively easy, fishing the elastic cord through them is sometimes the hard part (I usually suck a piece of thread through the pole (blow first to remove the dust, mama spider etc.) and use it to pull the elastic cord through.
    If the poles stick out of their carry bag, a piece of Velcro one wrap, or a Velcro cable tie; or your bungees will work well to secure them all.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you don't want to go through all of that Tent Pole Technologies can recreate any set of poles for you. You could even step up to aluminum to avoid any future splitting.

Comment

Just make the length of the new set of poles connected all together the same length as the original poles.

If you have to shorten, just cut the end pole to length. Do not cut all poles. Even a very short end piece is OK.

Comment

I would be concerned that the longer ones would not be able to take the angle strain of the original configuration. I would try to find the correct length or cut them all down. The total length is meaningless depending on the flexibility the poles need to have.

If It were me (because I hate fiberglass poles and they hate me back) I would go with the suggestion of having an aluminum set made if it didn't get too pricey.

Comment

Actually, longer pole segments are more flexible than shorter segments.

Ironically, you can spend more money replacing tent poles than the cost of a new tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Ironically, you can spend more money replacing tent poles than the cost of a new tent.
              Very true. But when you've got an otherwise great tent that you've had for years and really like it, you just want to keep it no matter what. It's kinda like paying $2000 for surgery on a pet that you got for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

That's kind of what I was thinking. Also, if I leave the replacements uncut, later replacements will be easier. I think I'll string together one of them with uncut poles and see how it fits.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Very true. But when you've got an otherwise great tent that you've had for years and really like it, you just want to keep it no matter what. It's kinda like paying $2000 for surgery on a pet that you got for free.
                  I agree with that, McGyver. Then again, most tents that are high quality enough to want to buy replacement parts have aluminum poles rather than fiberglass poles. Solid fiberglass poles are a hallmark of lower cost "value tents"

Comment

Working...
                  X