Looking for a motorcycle tent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a motorcycle tent.

Taking a trip from Virginia to California and am looking for a 1-2 person compact, quick take up/take down, water "proof" tent that is inconspicuous as we will be camping along the way in random locations. I currently use a big tent when I go to rallies, but literally we are going to ride, stop camp and move along until we get to California. Anyone have any recommendations? I was contemplating a pop up tent, however, it looks like they aren't very compact for motorcycle travel. Would also not like to spend an awful lot, but open to any suggestions.
    Thanks!
    -Aaron

Re: Looking for a motorcycle tent.

I'll chime in and bump even though this may be a "one and doner". The topic is relevant for others visiting the forum.

To the OP: I would be looking at a 2P/3P person backpacking tents. Lightweight, compact, easy to pitch and strike. Most good tents will possess common features such as a full to the ground coverage rainfly, aluminum poles (fiberglass poles would be fine---heavier but you'll be carrying weight via the bike), clip attachments (speeds setup over pole sleeves), 2 doors (for easy entry/exit for 2 campers), quality zippers, adequate ventilation options, and 2 vestibules (for boots/gear).

I prefer thicker denier fabrics for the floor (always) and for the fly. Thicker denier generally adds weight, but you gain durability. Decent waterproof coatings (1200mm is the minimum to be waterproof) will protect you and your gear/sleeping bag/clothes/etc if you find yourself in an all day rain.

Due to the nature of your trip: look for 2P/3P tents from quality brands such as MSR, Sierra Designs, Marmot, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, REI, and EMS. These usually carry lifetime warranties and are time proven for durability in the backcountry-they'll reliably perform night after night for you. Other brands where one can find high quality gems within their tent lineup: Kelty, Eureka, Mountainsmith, and ALPs Mountaineering.

If you are in no hurry, research the different brands...they all have comparable models and this will help narrow down the features you like. Watch online retailers for sales and/or their clearance section for discontinued models (online retailer Sierra Trading Post always has discounted discontinued/clearance tents). Many online retailers will give an additional initial % discount if you sign up for their email "member" program. They'll continue to have sales and email you % off discounts throughout the year. If you are comfortable with eBay...that is another option. If you have the time to research and shop...you'll be able to get a higher quality, more durable and reliable tent at a truly good value compared to most models found in a big box "that sells everything" store.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My little Kamp Rite is only five pounds.

The rain fly is beige - the same color as the bottom of the tent. When zipped up, it looks like a little outdoor storage shelter.

It sets up in a couple of minutes.

http://kamprite.com/shop/tents/on-th...on-system-ips/
      Last edited by actad; 11-14-2015, 03:32 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

http://www.rei.com/product/878520/re...me-2-plus-tent

Extra long and sufficiently wide for two people to actually be comfortable. An absolute palace for one. Two doors and two vestibules with virtually vertical walls front and back. Of all the tents I've owned over the years, this definitely rates as one of my favorites. I have the Applemeint but it's now available in more colors than I had to choose from - the Applemint and the Lucite colors are pretty subdued. With no sleeves to deal with, the clips make for a setup that's as fast as any tent I've had except for, of course, the instant domes.

If the extra width and/or length isn't a priority, they offer a "regular" version in the same colors.

http://www.rei.com/product/878519/rei-half-dome-2-tent
        Last edited by MacGyver; 11-14-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X