Re-committed to tent camping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-committed to tent camping.

We did it. We have now sold our camper and our pop-up. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but loving the new tent and ease of set up / take down.

I kind of feel younger again, like back in our pre-camper tenting days. We really love it. No maintenance, no towing, no more dragging our "home" behind us. Having a camper, we always gravitated to going inside to cook, eat, or play games, rather than enjoying the campfire and picnic table. Sometimes less is more.

Loving the fact that our home away from home is stashed under the bed. I won't keep any fabric items in shed here in FL due to palmetto bugs and scorpions. No big deal though as it fits under the bed.

We feel completely free again. Just throw it in the back of the van and go. So simplistic. Happy days.

Re: Re-committed to tent camping.

Congratulations; and welcome to the ranks of the portable living...
    ..."don't forget the chairs"...
    Watch out though, camping paraphernalia acquisition can be addictive...
    Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. I feel confident that after my RV 'sperience tent camping will be a still there:cool:
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        Congratulations; and welcome to the ranks of the portable living...
        ..."don't forget the chairs"...
        Watch out though, camping paraphernalia acquisition can be addictive...
        Enjoy!
        Thanks! Yes, I know it can be addictive, as I am a life-long addict of camping paraphernalia. :he: I'm almost giddy with excitement at the fact that we are tent campers again. We may not be able to do it forever, as we are in our 50's now, but going to enjoy it as long as possible.

We always had the chairs, even with our trailers. That's a must as we fish. We did buy a new campfire grill already. lol We already have a Coleman stove, but with our decision to get back to basics with camping, we will be cooking over the fire more.

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        Nothing wrong with that. I feel confident that after my RV 'sperience tent camping will be a still there:cool:

Nothing against RV's for sure. My parents would be unable to camp any other way. They are in their 70's and have been life-long campers. I have the best childhood memories of camping all the time. I never realized that we didn't have a lot of money because we went on vacation (camping) so often.

My parents still go often, but need the ease of their Class A. They just pull in and park. They can still enjoy the campfire, fishing, beach, and just the great outdoors. Their RV allows them to still have that freedom. I imagine we will eventually be in that position as well.

I have wanted to get back into tent camping for quite a few years, but the thought of putting up and taking down the tent was too much to deal with. I know instant tents have been out for a couple of years, but I didn't hear about them until earlier this year. They have extended out tent camping years. :heart:

I do kind of wonder if there will be a movement of others back toward the simplicity. With the current popularity of tiny houses, society seems to be moving away from the "bigger is better" mentality. I guess we will see.

Comment

[QUOTE=MountainMama;411029

I do kind of wonder if there will be a movement of others back toward the simplicity. With the current popularity of tiny houses, society seems to be moving away from the "bigger is better" mentality. I guess we will see.[/QUOTE]

That is probably true except for tents. Presently it seems that we are still in the "Bigger Is Better" movement when it comes to tents.

Last edited by Mike; 11-05-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

As an RV camper, I am probably more simplistic than many tent campers. I don't have TVs, microwaves, gameboys, etc. My camping experience is pretty much the same as when I was a kid - spend the day outdoors, come in at night and go to bed. The only major difference is that with my paperwhite kindle, I can read for hours without killing the flashlight.

So, I think the simplicity is a state of mind versus the manner in which you camp. When you start bringing all these modern conveniences "because you can", then you lose the simplicity of camping. I actively keep things low level as much as possible - a few chairs set around the campsite and i'm set up.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              So, I think the simplicity is a state of mind versus the manner in which you camp. When you start bringing all these modern conveniences "because you can", then you lose the simplicity of camping.
              I completely agree.

For me, I am just glad to be done with maintenance, towing, propane tanks and such. At least for now. I'm sure there will come a time when we will RV again out of necessity. When that time comes, I am going to try to do things like you are and keep the cooking and most other things outside.

A lot of my feelings right now are likely memory-based. Since we always tent camped when our kids were growing up, and my family always tent camped when I was a child, it's sort of a sentimental thing.

I can't say that we have ever brought at TV camping, but I too bring my Kindle. I also bring my 3DS aka gameboy. LOL I sometimes read as I'm falling asleep and sometimes play. Not something I play during the day.

As far as Mike's comment, I suppose I should rephrase. I do think bigger is better with tents - stopping short of the reception hall tent of course. ;-) The more fitting word for what I was trying to express is something along the lines of "luxury."

Comment

I enjoy both. I like to tent camp, but my husband's health prevents him from camping in a tent. Our travel trailer is similar in simplicity to toadtoes' setup. 18' long so it fits everywhere. No slide outs, so no setup hassles. It is a nice hard sided tent with an indoor bathroom. We prefer to cook over campfire and Coleman stove, but we do have an indoor cooking option that is rarely used. If we aren't towing the trailer, we are towing the boat, so the need to tow is not a big deal.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

As far as simplicity... I am conflicted; simple eases packing, unpacking, setup, breakdown and stress but I am a paraphernaliac (and confirmed tinkerer) so each winter typically sees an increase in complexity.
                  However; our camping vehicle options help keep my addictions in check; you really can't load much in the back of an old CJ (Jeep) or a Ford Ranger short bed with a topper. (...Trailer... MUST resist...trailer...)

I really NEED to be able to stand upright in a tent; being able to move around without bending over is even better.

I wholly agree that as far as tents go bigger is better; to a point. Our 12 x 12 tent rarely gets used on short trips (the setup/breakdown effort gets justifiable only for week or longer single location stays/basecamps).

For quickie weekenders, A 9 x 9 dome is OK if a bit cramped during storms... its biggest downside is that I can stand upright (six foot) only in the exact center of the tent.

I recently snagged a "standing room XL" tent to use with our 10x10 canopy.
                  http://www.standingroomtents.com/
                  A quick trial setup (should have taken pics) shows that its roughly 9 x 9 (at a guess) inside but the headroom means that I can walk around without doing my hunchback of Notre Dame imitation.
                  The setup effort was slightly more than stetting up the canopy by itself (roughly double the effort) and less than the dome setup effort..
                  The tent bulk is roughly the same as our dome but the canopy more than doubles (triple or more) the packed volume.

Now I just have to figure out a cot/sofa conversion and a awning ... (winter tinkerer projects)...

Enjoy!
                  Attached Files
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

As far as simplicity... I am conflicted; simple eases packing, unpacking, setup, breakdown and stress but I am a paraphernaliac (and confirmed tinkerer) so each winter typically sees an increase in complexity.
                    I'm right there with you on that. I've downsized a lot of my gear but it seems that that's only so I can take out more stuff.

Now I just have to figure out a cot/sofa conversion and a awning ...
                    I don't know if it's exactly what you have in mind, but the Disc-o-bed cots do have a sofa configuration.

As far as awnings go, I'm constantly coming up with new ways to put up tarps. My last trip out was at a site with very few trees. A length of 1/4 inch cable, a couple of 2x4s and 50 feet or so of 3/8ths rope later, I think I have the lack of trees things beat. :he:

Comment

As far as simplicity... I am conflicted; simple eases packing, unpacking, setup, breakdown and stress

I really NEED to be able to stand upright in a tent; being able to move around without bending over is even better.
                      This is our 11' x 18' Bushnell Instant Tent. It sets up in literally 2 minutes and you don't even have to bend over - except to stake, which you really don't even have to do other than the two holding front foyer.

Take down is just as simple, although takes a bit longer - about 5 minutes.

I will not even consider a tent that I can't stand up in. I also need a high bed due to my knees. This tent gives us quite a bit more floor space than our RVs have. It was after testing it on several trips and storms that we felt comfortable selling our trailers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4957.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	70312

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

I don't know if it's exactly what you have in mind, but the Disc-o-bed cots do have a sofa configuration.

As far as awnings go, I'm constantly coming up with new ways to put up tarps. My last trip out was at a site with very few trees. A length of 1/4 inch cable, a couple of 2x4s and 50 feet or so of 3/8ths rope later, I think I have the lack of trees things beat. :he:
                        I bought a bunk Disc-o bed set for this season's summer camping. Marvelously as beds but the one time we set up the couch configuration we needed to add every bed pillow available to the back to ensure feet weren't dangling in the wind. I found it easier to simply leave the system in the single cot arrangement and place around the fireplace as chaise lounges. Also nice to take sleeping children bodies back into the tent w/ minimal disruption.

I saw a group of campers with blow up couches and chairs this summer. They looked fun and comfy. This is similar to what they had:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Infl...-Sofa/20927116
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I'm right there with you on that. I've downsized a lot of my gear but it seems that that's only so I can take out more stuff.

Thanx for the cot info (it always pays to have a range of ideas). I was thinking more along the lines of adding some Clip on/detachable PVC pipe arms and back (w/ foam pipe insulation for padding) although I could weld up something if they end up being too flexible... gonna let this project marinate in the brainpan for a while.

I haven't thought much about tarps recently but right now (about the second pass) I'm thinking of a metal framed with fiber glass pole shallow dome top and using some adjustable height poles (left over from a 24x24 tarp shelter I once made....keeping it light, compact and easy to setup, will be the challenge...

Thanx! for the tent info MountainMama (this board could use a Thank You button, IMO). It looks like a good choice however it will probably be a couple of years before the next tent purchase

Thank You too, NYCgrrl for the info. It reflects some of my design concerns about modifying a cot (I figure to position the arms and back relative to the front, about the same as my my living room couch.

Looks like its about time to measure the tubing in my cot and determine PVC pipe diameters.

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM. Reason: Thanks to posters.

Comment

Working...
                          X