Suggestions/Comments for 3 Month Tent Camping Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions/Comments for 3 Month Tent Camping Trip

Looking for suggestions/comments on planning a 3 month tent camping trip next spring across the United States—specifically from central Florida over to Los Angeles, up to Seattle, and semi-diagonally back to Florida. Google Map is showing about 8,800 miles, but I am sure that there will be more with many side trips. Altogether, it will probably be closer to 10,000 miles.
    We plan to leave central Florida around May 15th and arrive back around Aug 15th (retired, so dates are flexible). We will be crossing the southern part of the states first and hopefully not too hot then. Probably reach Seattle somewhere around the middle/end of June when it might be warmer. Tried to plan it when it wouldn't be real hot or cold.

A little about myself, many years ago I did some travelling/camping in a mini-motorhome, but this will be the FIRST time tent camping, and this will definitely be the longest and farthest that I have ever done. Of course, before the trip I will buy a tent/gear and check them out on several short trips here in Florida.
    Besides my wife and myself, we will be taking our toy poodle (yes, I know that some parks don’t allow dogs, and the ones that do, probably have restrictions). For the dog, we will have a carrier that he likes and is used to, to keep him in the tent while we are out on the trails when dogs aren’t allowed. BTW, the dog doesn’t bark or cause problems when he is alone.
    Regarding Wi-Fi security while travelling, I am thinking about paying my bills 3 months in advance so that I won’t have any due while travelling. Since I won’t know how much for the credit card bill, I will just pay a large amount before so that I will have a credit for those months.
    We plan to see the major tourist sites/attractions on the way, as well as do some road biking and hiking. We are in fairly good shape/condition, but we plan to start really working out about 3 months before we leave to get in better shape to do some long hikes and bike rides.
    I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding this trip such as:
    1. What to see?
    2. Where to go?
    3. What gear to take?
    4. Reservations? Reservations are needed at National Parks, but how to do that on a 3 month trip when you are not sure where/when you will be somewhere?
    5. Any other tips/hints?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Suggestions/Comments for 3 Month Tent Camping Trip

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing where this thread goes. So much to see out there.

If I were doing that, I would buy a small window unit air conditioner and alter my tent to accommodate it. Especially important considering the dog may be spending some summer afternoons inside if you are on trails that don't allow pets.

Comment

I take my dogs camping with me all the time. But, I would never do what you're planning on doing - it's just got too many things that can go wrong.

First, many campgrounds do not allow you to leave your dog unattended at the campsite while you go off sightseeing. Regardless of whether you're in an RV or a tent.

Second, a tent and a crate are not enough security to keep your dog protected while you're gone. Another dog that gets loose, wild animals, or even another person - that's a lot of chances to come back to.

I'd suggest that you either find someone who can babysit the dog OR limit your trip to more dog-friendly locations - national forests allow dogs on the trails.

Set up your bills through your bank for auto-pay. Easy to do. The bank will pay them according to YOUR schedule and you can go online and change, cancel or add as needed.

Do you plan on using the credit card(s) while you travel? If so, then budget your expected charges and set up that much on auto-pay for each month. That way, you have time to adjust the next month's payment if things change.

Are you going to break up the tenting with the occasional hotel stay? Are you going to camp at each stop for several days? Or do you plan on doing one-night stops? Will you just make a "run" from one park to the next?
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions/comments.

No plans yet on camping stays. If we are in an area with lots of things to do/see, will stay as long as needed. Probably will stay occasionally
        in a hotel for a break.

Don't have a schedule and can take our time. 3 months is just an estimate.

Comment

I won't give specific recommendations, but I would suggest that, with that much travelling, gear which is easy to deploy and take down will enhance your experience. A tent which is a pain to set up is not too much of a problem if you're gonna stay put for a while, but if you're on the move - that may be a primary consideration.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Not sure about how long I will stay at each place. If there are interesting things that I want to do/see, I will stay longer. I a retired and don't have a schedule to keep.

I will probably stay occasionally in a hotel.

Comment

Working...
            X