Spending a mint$$$$$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spending a mint$$$$$$$

I agree, bare bones camping can be fun, and inexpensive....although I added a section of Tyvek to the Visqueen (the Tyvek usually forms a tent with the assistance of a couple of trees and some 550 cord and the Visqueen gets used as a ground cloth) when backpacking.
    A military grade/surplus poncho has served many times as a canopy (again with the assistance of trees and 550 cord).
    I still cook over the fire even when jeep camping with the extended stay stuff.
    A coffee teabag, broiled fish or game (or a grilled steak or burger), bread on a stick (or hoecakes) and (pre-nuked) taters warmed in aluminum foil in the coals; YUM!
    ...although the temptation is always there to bring a Dutch oven or a reflector oven (pizza or casserole and fresh baked brownies or at least cornbread).

Solar ovens are cheap to make and although mostly a pain to bring/pack (due to the glass); do pretty well for slow cooking.
    Speaking of cheap DIY gear and cooking the web is full of very functional designs for stoves of various sorts.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Camping is all about spending time in the great outdoors. Gear is expensive but you can get by without the best. Camp when and where you have supplies for and then add to your supplies as you go.

Comment

Started camping as a Cub Scout in Northern Wis. Was a great way/place to grow up. I have seen my share of camping equipt from both ends of the spectrum....Use whatever works for you is my belief.
        I have some left over equipt from my early days that Id hate t do without-(my FireFly for example) and the nostaglia aside i believe some of the early stuff is better. That being said, I luv to uograde whenever possible and m constantly looking, reading and assessing new gear. I upgraded tents this year and wanted to buy a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8...but they are sure proud of them....while i was looking at them a Great Deal on a Coleman Weather Master 6 presented itself....the BA is gonna hafta wait till next year but it freed up more $ for some small items Im lusting after.
        Its a constant learning experince & i think thats why camping has such a strong appeal for me. I enjoy learning & I enjoy being good at what I do...so its a comfy duality to embrace for me.
        Generally speaking, i believe you get what you pay for....but Not Always!
        I do hafta say i dont have much use or patience for anyone who delights in telling anyone that their way is the only way....i dunno just who I am.
        Happy Holidays to All!

Comment

Working...
        X