Spending a mint$$$$$$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending a mint$$$$$$$

Okay so a couple months ago I decided that I wanted (needed) to take a little camping trip. My job is pretty high stress and I can't think of a better way to clear my head. As started to inventory what I have I quickly realized there was no way I was going to be able to hike and camp with what had so I just went crazy and bought everything I needed, I'm now broke but hey I'm going camping next weekend.

Re: Spending a mint$$$$$$$

Camping is a great stress relief for me too. And I'm also guilty of spending more money than I should on camping gear. I don't really need 6 tents, 3 different sleeping pads, 4 stoves, 6 tarps, 4 (seriously high dollar) Pelican cases - but I got 'em! So what goodies did you max your credit cards out on?

Comment

Camping is how I feel "at home", as I was raised in a wilderness area. As far as gear: I'm guilty as charged too...$100 ThermaRest Pads, 4 Sierra Designs Tents from $200 - $550, $300 GoreTex-covered Marmot sleeping bags (two sewn in the Colorado USA factory), and other A16 and Marmot sleeeping bags, all "prime-northern goose down", RioAdventure ultralight tables, MSR nesting cooksets, new PRIMUS stove (how can you say no?), three Coleman lanterns with tripods and reflectors, mil-spec waterproof 200W KW/Polk audio systems, Pelican case for the speakers, AGM battery power supplies, exotic gear hauling options, LED headlamps and lighting upgrads, does it ever end? Well, there is one fact that always "rears its ugly head", eh?

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        Yes, tp, we know. Buy cheap, buy twice. We know. You take every chance you can to point that out. And, yes, I agree with it for the most part. But not for all people, all the time. I'm deeply invested in the style of camping that I do, so I know what I'm looking for and am willing to pay for quality new gear.

People without deep pockets aside, picture a first time camper. He goes out and buys a $400 tent, a $300 sleeping bag, a $150 sleeping pad and a $300-500 other stuff like a stove, a lantern, some cookware and chairs. He's easily in for over $1000 and finds out the tent isn't the right size for him. The sleeping bag is the wrong temperature rating or the wrong style. The pad isn't comfortable, etc. etc. Or, worse yet, he finds out camping isn't his thing. Are you going to buy all his gear for the price he paid for it? Or is he going to eat it and lose a ton of money?

Sometimes serviceable equipment is just fine.

Comment

Macguyver, seriously, am I detecting a bit of sarcasm? Anyone with a local library can read Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker, go to a garage sale, and open up the internet to ebay. Clip some coupons, follow a sale, get involved with REI or EMS, try their rentals, come on bro. If my family could do it on a shoestring and have quality gear on a budget, anyone can. Now we do have access to good seasonal sales and clearances at local SportChalets, REI, and A16 in addition to Ebay auctions and we're good shoppers because of a tight budget. And plenty of my posts encouraged folks just getting in to start small - but I'm from NJ after all and we LOVE sarcasm! At 12, I cut brush, logged red cedar, trapped muskrat and picked berries to pay for my first EMS backpack and backpacking tent. US surplus gear made my mess kit, and my folks got me a Svea stove as a gift.
          Last edited by tplife; 11-19-2015, 09:29 AM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
            Macguyver, seriously, am I detecting a bit of sarcasm?
            Not sarcasm, just maybe a bit of hyperbole. But my message remains the same. Not everyone wants to sit back and wait for the right sale or go coupon hunting to get their gear. And, as others have alluded to in the past, your eBay must be different than most others. I've spent months on eBay looking for different camping equipment and rarely, if ever, have I seen quality stuff go for much less than retail. For many people, it's all about getting out there with a minimum of hassle. Again, I'm not saying people should go out and buy a $40 dome tent and $25 sleeping bag and wing it. There's just a lot of decent "it'll get us by for a while" gear on the lower end of the scale. I'll refer you back to your "paltry bikini rainfly, dated D-shaped doors and pin/ring setup" tent statement. My Eureka 3-person dome, with it's paltry bikini rainfly, dated D-shaped door and pin/ring setup is over 15 years old. The Meramac 4 that I just bought a few months ago seems every bit as robust - even more so with it's beefier fiberglass - yes, fiberglass (oh the horrors!) poles.

Oh - and a small point. No U in my nick.

Comment

If you already have equipment that will let you go camping now, then waiting to buy quality gear at great prices works.

But when you have no gear, your choices are:

A. Watch sales, auctions, etc., and buy gear as it comes along - no matter how long it takes.
              B. Save your money until you can afford the quality gear - no matter how long it takes.
              C. Buy some "cheap" equipment and go camping now. Then start saving money/watching for deals to upgrade later.

The "buy only the best" has it's place, but it's not always the best way of doing things. It depends on so many other factors.

Back in the day, people bought the best they could afford and took care of it. Amazing how many of the low end purchases got handed down to the next generation - not because it was of such great quality, but because people took care of it to make it last.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I hope what I've bought isn't junk that I'm gonna have to replace in the next couple of years. Here's what I can remember.
                Kelty TN3 tent
                Marmot Sleeping bag
                Osprey Aether 85
                ENO Hammock
                Optimus Electra Stove
                Klymit Static V Luxe pad
                Gransfors Bruks small forest axe

Comment

If you go camping with only yourself ,you'd better to prepare everything ,such as gear ,food and route .Though camping is a great way to relief stress ,safety is important ,especially only oneself at outdoors .
                  Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

Few activities are as cheap as camping. You can outfit yourself completely for about the same cost as a few nights in a hotel.

In the very worst case for the super frugal, a large tarp and bedding from home along with utensils from the kitchen is all you need.

Comment

I'm another that believes (and have) inexpensive, quality, sometimes preowned, gear can be obtained often in new condition with a bit of patience, and searching.
                      I have also found some good deals at end of season or end of model run sales.
                      (Always be prepared to jump on a good deal and know what you actually need & want).
                      Probably the best/least expensive gear is gear that I have fabricated or modified to actually fit my use.
                      There are some items it is probably better to grit your teeth and purchase premium gear (but they are relatively few and I have occasionally been dissatisfied with expensive premium gear also.

To minimize the chances of dissatisfaction do research and take magazine articles, especially, with a grain of salt (their reviews and recommendations are often biased toward companies that advertise in them or provide freebies).
                      Beware of fanboy reviews; they are often based on belief not fact; if a review does not bring out the less good with the great it should be treated as suspect.
                      Beware of expensive organizations like REI the same gear can usually be gotten cheaper elsewhere, however they occasionally have reasonable sale prices.
                      Don't get sold on the basis that "NEW is better" especially with respect to technology OLD tech can often be just as functional although it is often heavier/bulkier; note for backpacking lighter is usually a bit better although some go overboard/get fanatic about weight... my biggest weight improvement are from simply not bringing excessive amounts of relatively useless stuff (I rate titanium sporks, for weight savings, as silly/overboard... but that could just be me).

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM. Reason: functional not fictional
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        Beware of expensive organizations like REI the same gear can usually be gotten cheaper elsewhere...
                        I'll be the first to admit that REI's prices are high. But I'll continue to support them because of three things - they treat their employees very well, the employees actually have product knowledge and they have one of the most liberal return policies I've ever seen.

I don't know the details of their pay scale or benefits, but I'm told they get regular pay increases, good insurance packages and a good amount of vacation time. With good service becoming a lost art here in the U.S., REI is a joy to do business with. How many times have we gone into a store to find either no one around to help you or someone who is, as I like to put it, "equally qualified to scoop ice cream" and just doesn't care about their customers? You don't get that at REI. If you ask someone who can't answer your question, it usually means their area of expertise is another department - but they will go find someone to help you. The return policy is great. Anything you buy can be returned for just about any reason imaginable within a year. That means if you've found that the tent you bought doesn't meet your needs, back it goes. Stitching on your chair started to ravel after six months? Return it.

Yeah - I'll support a system like that.

Comment

I agree with that. There's something to be said about a company that supports their staff. I actually chatted with a girl who recommended and sold me my Kelty TN3 and Primus stove. Great staff and service

Comment

We all have different reasons for buying things or frequenting different vendors; I have become so inured to unhelpfulness that I don't even notice it anymore.

I'm not saying don't buy from REI, like I said sometimes their sale prices are competitive.
                            However, if you need something that has inherent quality (like a Svensaw) and don't need assistance deciding you can get the identical item elsewhere and keep part of your money for more stuff...
                            Some of the organizations that REI supports make the short list of organizations that I avoid/do not support/am against.
                            Its up to everyone to make their own decisions/ there is no single best answer.

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-21-2015, 09:43 AM.
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

What Mike said. Not even a tarp (although that came in handy when fishing in N. Ga.), but a piece of Visqueen will keep the rain off. Yeah, I've done plenty of camping without the "proper" gear. I have more gear now, but I keep moving back towards the "simpler is better" philosophy. That way I feel like I'm really camping, not paying to "work" on a Dude Ranch. A few nights in a hotel? How about a couple of meals at McDonald's? College days. You made do with what you had.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X